It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the Founding Fathers said about guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+52 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Just wanted to clarify a few things for the people out there who dont believe citizens should be armed and try to question the intent of the founding fathers who framed the second Amendment.

"They tell us that we are weak -- unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Three million people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us."

The men who wrote the Constitution were very intelligent and understood very well where unchecked power would lead the new Nation,they made sure the second Amendment was set in stone to protect all other rights,it is the teeth of the Constitution.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined. The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."

The link below shows the mindset of the Founding Fathers and why it was so important to have a fully armed population able to defend themselves from all enemies foreign and domestic ,nothing has really changed since the declaration of independance and in fact I believe the 2nd Amendment has never been more relevant considering where the country is headed,it was written for the times we are now in

www.eskimo.com...

edit on 1/10/2013 by kosmicjack because: fixed caps

+20 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Oh I love these kinds of threads, my turn!

"A militia, when properly formed, are in fact the people themselves …"
Richard Henry Lee
writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, Letter XVIII, May, 1788.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

The Founding Fathers on the Second Amendment

edit on 10-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: it was ok...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
You don't need an assault rifle to go hunting deer, you don't even need a 10 magazine clip to hunt one...but a privately listed company such as Mondanto can have their own private army...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   
So basically the americans are trigger happy!!!

edit on 10-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: it needed a second line

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jademegjosh

Say what?!

Oh trigger happy, yes, that we are.

Was that not a given?

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

This is by far my favourite:

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty, teeth and keystone under independence. The church, the plow, the prairie wagon and citizens' firearms are indelibly related. From the hour the pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that, to ensure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable. Every corner of this land knows firearms, and more than 99 and 99/100 percent of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil influence. They deserve a place of honor with all that's good. When firearms go, all goes. We need them every hour."

Its self explanitory and really dosnt leave room for debate ,I dont understand why the anti-gunners in America want to surrender such an amazing god given right

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I agree you dont need machine guns and assault rifles in ur home.why not just stick with ur small hand gun.Ill tell you why because americans want bigger and better. check out sons of guns on discovery channel,there nuts.some guy went in and asked them to make a zombie gun for crying out loud,and they made it lol. Jesus guys get a grip of this situation...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Should it be?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Bilder

Agreed.

United We Stand, The Rest Is, Not An Option!

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by jademegjosh

Being trigger happy has nothing to do with it,it has everything to do with the ability to say "No"when the Govt oversteps their authority

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jademegjosh
I agree you dont need machine guns and assault rifles in ur home.why not just stick with ur small hand gun.Ill tell you why because americans want bigger and better. check out sons of guns on discovery channel,there nuts.some guy went in and asked them to make a zombie gun for crying out loud,and they made it lol. Jesus guys get a grip of this situation...

How are we to defend ourselves against machine guns and assault rifles without them? We ABSOLUTELY need these things.

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence
You don't need an assault rifle to go hunting deer, you don't even need a 10 magazine clip to hunt one...but a privately listed company such as Mondanto can have their own private army...

Who said anything about hunting?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

americans want bigger and better

Not true, I own a .45 pistol.

No other firearms.

You have heard what they say about a feller who only owns one gun, right?

"Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it!"

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence

2 questions:

1. What is a 'magazine clip'?

You do realize the two are not the same right?

2. What part of our history, words in the Constitution, arguments in the Federalist Papers, or sayings of the founders is it found that the second amendment is meant for hunting?

I guess the first one is a 2 part question bringing the total to three.

My apologies.
edit on 10-1-2013 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   

I agree you dont need machine guns and assault rifles in ur home.why not just stick with ur small hand gun.

You do realize that handguns are used almost 20 times as often as rifles of any kind, including hunting rifles, in the commission of homicides in the United States, don't you?

I don't think 'need' enters into the equation at all. You'd be surprised at all the things a person doesn't 'need'. Should we ban those as well?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Least gun manufacturers still can make a massive profit off of the gullibility and feeble mindedness of a easily terrified people that they can dupe into believing that the government will ever be able to take your guns away.

Good job, keep it up.

lol

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

Richard Henry Lee
writing in Letters from the Federal Farmer to the Republic, Letter XVIII, May, 1788.

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

"A militia, when properly formed..."

"when properly formed..."

Look around, do you see the people? Are they formed in any manner close to properly?

Seems it's not so much a properly formed citizenry as a group of self absorbed vigilantes who are making the most noise.

It always comes back to protecting people from the bad guys. Which the police are supposed to do. But everyone thinks of themselves as the pinnacle of what the founding fathers had in mind. I bet you that if it were possible for them to have seen what the populace would become, they would have made it clearer what the intent was... and not simply by then standards.

Properly formed... so many people without restraint.. not so formed and certainly not properly.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

So basically the americans are trigger happy!!!

edit on 10-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: it needed a second line

I'd rather be trigger-happy than trigger-sad, some drug company spokesman might try to put me on anti-drepressants or something.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Richard Henry Lee

Richard Henry Lee
American Statesman, 1788

"A militia, when properly formed..."

"when properly formed..."

Look around, do you see the people? Are they formed in any manner close to properly?

Seems it's not so much a properly formed citizenry as a group of self absorbed vigilantes who are making the most noise.

It always comes back to protecting people from the bad guys. Which the police are supposed to do. But everyone thinks of themselves as the pinnacle of what the founding fathers had in mind. I bet you that if it were possible for them to have seen what the populace would become, they would have made it clearer what the intent was... and not simply by then standards.

Properly formed... so many people without restraint.. not so formed and certainly not properly.

Im pretty sure when the time comes the people will be "properly formed" into a well functioning "Militia",there are countless vets out there that will be more than happy pass on their knowledge to put an end to an out of control tyrannical govt and as far as the police being there to protect you are they going to be waiting inside your front door when it gets kicked in by a criminal or maybe you can ask the thugs to wait till they arrive and arrest them
edit on 10-1-2013 by Bilder because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2013 by Bilder because: Bad punctuation

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

reply to post by Bilder

Agreed.

United We Stand, The Rest Is, Not An Option!

It's a pipe dream mate. American citizens are already divided far beyond that which any national anthem can band them. yet you're all supposedly one people when it comes to having a shooter.

I don't believe it. It certainly isn't something that shines out as obvious.

It would be nice it if were true, but the people of the USA fell divided a while ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Hmm, the caption possibilities with that one.

Any one willing to give it a try. lol

GNTRL .45mg, use twice a day to keep the villains away.

reply to post by winofiend

I can sort of hear what your saying, but having lived through the good old days of the US of A, I fear the words fall on deaf ears. None the less, your sentiments are noted.

edit on 10-1-2013 by ADVISOR because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join