It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Half of all food 'thrown away' claims report

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
That wouldn't be too much of a problem if they undercut every other buyer of produce..They even set their own prices that they're prepared to buy at.. often at a loss to the farmer.

I assume you mean if they didn't. I'm not saying Supermarkets are perfect, I am saying the consumers are as much to blame as anyone. Supermarkets would not exist if comsumers had not made a market for them. The reason I replied in the first place is I believe your ire, while well intended, is misplaced.

When profits come before anything else, there is a problem.

I wouldn't argue that point, I'm simply saying it's the nature of people to do this. For the most part, everyone always looks out for himself/herself first. Store owners are no different. It's why I mentioned the apples, when it comes down to it, we all want the best our money can buy. We are concerned with ourselves/our families first, and will look out for our own interests first. When we have time and resources, that is when we help/consider others if able to do so.

Not what I'm saying at all..

It sounded like it to me. My mistake and my apologies.

I have... Africa and the Philippines.. for almost 3 years combined..

I haven't been to Africa, but I am very familiar with the Philippines

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
It seems to me this piece of information is trotted out regularly to guilt trip consumers into accepting higher prices

50% price hike at Tesco in the UK

from

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What on Earth is one supposed to do about the supply chain, besides avoiding to shop perishable goods in the afternoon? much of the waste appears mandated by strange laws that declare the garbage bin a safe and i truly doubt that the figures are all that accurate, since food stuff they consider imperfect by typically arbitrary but easily verified rules (apples not to small but also not too large.. the EU is infamous for this) isn't just sold at a lower price but rather tossed into various biofuel programs, for example.

If you create a demand for wastage that is what will occur, with all side effects that follow, including soil depletion, the deadliest of all.

see www.sciencedaily.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
One doesn't even need to spend money on un-necessary things like tobacco,people flick butts out the window as they drive down the road.
Just roll the tobacco out into a baggy,and roll your own smokes,papers are cheap.

Everything falls from the sky.

Literally.

I AM NOT RELIGIOUS,but it's not too far a stretch to realize everything falls from the sky.

How did mankind become so misguided and dependent on uncaring profiteers?.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MyHappyDogShiner

That's revolting. Have you ever smoked second hand tobacco? I have, and it's not a pleasant experience. I used to take cigarette butts from my parents' ashtray and roll the leftover tobacco when I was like 14 and had no money. I'd rather smoke used toilet paper than that garbage.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Our company used to give the leftover food to the shelter but the homeless idin't want our LEFTOVERS so a different Senior Center picks it up every day. Today we had blackened salmon and Wet burritos.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

That's revolting. Have you ever smoked second hand tobacco? I have, and it's not a pleasant experience. I used to take cigarette butts from my parents' ashtray and roll the leftover tobacco when I was like 14 and had no money. I'd rather smoke used toilet paper than that garbage.

Hilarious comments considering that you don't seem revolted by the idea of firsthand tobacco smoke. At least this guy is onto something - the only way you are not a moron for smoking cigarettes is if you're getting them for free. But advocating that people waste their money on something that has absolutely no real benefit isn't going to help pull our country out of the crapper.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jasonl1983

Hilarious comments considering that you don't seem revolted by the idea of firsthand tobacco smoke. At least this guy is onto something - the only way you are not a moron for smoking cigarettes is if you're getting them for free. But advocating that people waste their money on something that has absolutely no real benefit isn't going to help pull our country out of the crapper.

Same for alchohol? You feel something when using it, same for smoking. It's relaxing, but sure it's not healthy, fast food isn't either but hard to resist somethimes.
It's just a body thing, even sex when not reproducing, what's the use for it?
Should be forbidden, considering all the bad deceases you can have from it, or at least tax it like tobacco!
edit on 14-1-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CalebRight14

But do we want that, that the consumer dictates the market?
It's like a kid, who is with his mother who is buying stuff in the supermarket, and he sees nice candy and yells at it's mom, I want!!
Maybe a few times you give the kid what he wants, but just a few times, mostly you will say; no! but yea then it will cry hard, time for a hard correction.

There is no correction, at what's ''good' at all, that's the problem.

Free market, let the market dictate what's good for all, but it's like a kid, wanting it all and we keep giving it what it wants always and we lost control/power over it.

edit on 14-1-2013 by Plugin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

The only people that get that relaxed feeling from smoking is an addict. It only feels "relaxing", because you are alleviating withdrawal from nicotine. Smoking is retarded, and that is coming from a smoker. The only reason anyone smokes is addiction and brainwashing. Ever wonder why you hear so much BS about how hard it is to quit smoking? Like I have heard smoking is harder to kick than herione, what a crock of BS, anyone that has seen someone kick that poison would know as much. That is the brainwashing.

Alcohol is dirt cheap and easy to make too. Big plastic bucket with a hole drilled in it + airlock in drilled hole + juice with no preservatives + yeast + time = alcohol. I got a boatload of free alcohol this summer, picking wild blueberries and making blueberry whine. The only thing I paid for was champaign yeast, to get the strongest alcohol content. You don't need to add anything really, as the yeast in the air will work fine, but I prefer the stronger strains, not that they cost much anyways

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

I was just pointing out the absurdity of a tobacco user criticizing another tobacco user for engaging in said habit. Whether you're burning old tobacco or new tobacco, a most unpleasant odor will cling to you for some time.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Plugin

The only people that get that relaxed feeling from smoking is an addict. It only feels "relaxing", because you are alleviating withdrawal from nicotine. Smoking is retarded, and that is coming from a smoker. The only reason anyone smokes is addiction and brainwashing. Ever wonder why you hear so much BS about how hard it is to quit smoking? Like I have heard smoking is harder to kick than herione, what a crock of BS, anyone that has seen someone kick that poison would know as much. That is the brainwashing.

Alcohol is dirt cheap and easy to make too. Big plastic bucket with a hole drilled in it + airlock in drilled hole + juice with no preservatives + yeast + time = alcohol. I got a boatload of free alcohol this summer, picking wild blueberries and making blueberry whine. The only thing I paid for was champaign yeast, to get the strongest alcohol content. You don't need to add anything really, as the yeast in the air will work fine, but I prefer the stronger strains, not that they cost much anyways

Must be trolling?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonl1983

Ok sorry, I thought I missed something.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
In the elementary schools here, the children buying lunch MUST get a small carton of milk or chocolate milk and a piece of fruit whether or not they like it. Even if they don't open the carton, it has to be thrown in the trash after lunch along with the whole pieces of untouched fruit.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Oh look, another person who feels the need to criticize other people's decisions. And no I don't want to hear the "smoking also harms the people around you!" argument. I don't smoke around non-smokers.

I don't even smoke all that much anymore anyways. I've taken a liking to snus.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Oh look, another person who feels the need to criticize other people's decisions.

If you're not in favor of criticizing other people's decisions, well, you must have some very controversial views on the subject of criminal justice. "It's bad that you murdered" "How dare you criticize my decision!"

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Trolling? Howso?

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Oh look, another person who feels the need to criticize other people's decisions.

If you're not in favor of criticizing other people's decisions, well, you must have some very controversial views on the subject of criminal justice. "It's bad that you murdered" "How dare you criticize my decision!"

I meant legal decisions. Nice straw man though. Where in my post did I imply that it was okay to physically harm somebody?

edit on 14-1-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I'm currently working as a waiter to get me through University.

The amount of wastage that is left at the end of the working day is an absolute disgrace.

In a relatively busy week for customers, it's roughly around 30 full garbage bags we throw away that's full to the brim with food that customers have just left on their plate.

I've constantly asked if there is something we can do to try and be less wasteful as a pub, I suggested we could giving the wastage to local garden centres in the area, so they can use it for their compost.

The manager couldn't care less as we are now under a corporate pub-chain, and it's against company 'policy' to give the wastage away to anyone local.

posted on Jan, 14 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkCorrigan
The manager couldn't care less as we are now under a corporate pub-chain, and it's against company 'policy' to give the wastage away to anyone local.

You should take advantage of the fact that he was specific about that last part. Have it sent to the next town over. If you get pulled up over it just say "What??? You said nobody local can have it!"

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
When I was younger, one summer I spent working in the supermarket. I saw how how much food is simply wasted and it is truly disturbing - whole truckloads of eatable foods simply thrown away. Even for employees were not allowed to take something home, as it was considered stealing from the company. The overall attitude often is:
"I would rather throw it away, than give it away for free".

I believe a law should be made, which would forbid throwing away food. 1 day before the expiration date every item of food has to be given to local charity organisations, which would give it to people in need in the particular area.

The whole standards policy is one of the reasons behind it. Extreme amounts of water is spent of foods, which do not meet the "standards" and these often simply thrown away. Some good people give these to animals, many simply throw them away.

Overally the kids are also too picky nowadays. So much food is thrown away at homes, simply because kids do not like it. I have been taught to respect food. Even though I may dislike some foods, always I simply suck it up and eat it, as somebody worked for it and so many people are in hunger. Although I always see kids being very picky in restauraunts. Whole platefuls of food are simply left over, onions, broccoli sorted out and left for throwing away. In school cafeterias it is even more visible trend and It is simply disturbing. Schools should put more thought on it and simply make some rule of everybody having to eat all the food they get. It is always possible take extra portion, but if you took a lot and do not eat all, it simply is wasting and having no respect for the people working to give you this food and all the people in hunger all over the world.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join