Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Half of all food 'thrown away' claims report

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This is awful! I had thought about this while I worked at a local Walmart. The amount of good food thrown away by minor imperfection was crazy! While so many people starve to death each day.

www.worldometers.info...

That website might not be 100% accurate but I think it gives a better idea of maybe the scale of things.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Doesn't surprise me, although it is terrible.

When I was in the Navy I had to spend time as an FSA (food service assistant), more commonly known as "Cranking". The amount of food thrown away was terrible. It wasn't the cooks' fault, if they cooked less, they would run out, and people would complain to the Captain, so they would tend to cook more than they needed to prevent it. Then, of course, there was the problem of keeping perishables fresh, which is pretty much impossible on a ship with 350 people needing to eat. It took me a while to get over all of the waste that wasn't really preventable.

Unfortunately, it is a different story in the civilian world. Grocery stores aren't allowed to keep things past the "sell by" date, which leads to a lot of waste.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I believe it. My parent's house probably throws away close to 30%-40% of the food it buys.

It's for a few reasons. I think the most causing reason is because we whom have, tend to not want left overs nor remember that we have left overs.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by Xaphan

Which brings us to the idea of 'cornering the market'..

Many of us can no longer go out and hunt for our food.. Everywhere is covered in roads or supermarkets and factories etc.. we've destroyed the environment we used to have.

We cannot just go and cut a tree down and carve it into a boat.. even if we did, the sea is overfished these days..

So we're stuck.. stuck in a 9-5 job that we spent umpteen years of our lives studying to get into at school/university.
Stuck in an eceonomy that relies on us going to a job that has been invented and created by TPTB in order to support everything that surrounds us.. I fear for the future of mankind if this is all that we have to look forward to.

I envy those who have so very little, but can cut a tree down and spend their days fishing in crystal clear waters whilst the sun shines and drinking coconut milk.. love it.. miss it too..

Agreed 100%.

The days of being self-sufficient are over, at least for the majority of us, and that's exactly how they want it. They don't want us to be independent, they want us to rely on their system of buying everything we need and paying their taxes. Over the last century or so they softened us with modern convenience, and now we pay them to spoon-feed us like helpless babies.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I worked for Hardee's fast food sometime during the latter portion of 2012..I eventually had to quit because it sickened me how much food they just threw away instead of feeding our staff, or offering it to a shelter, food kitchen, etc.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

just so you know STEALING FOOD from store dumpsters IS THEFT. actually so is taking ANYTHING out of a stores garbage.

So... the garbage men are serial thieves?

I'lll just wear some old overalls and drive the right kind of truck... license to steal!:lol

Around here, lots of stuff getss donated to the homelss shelters and to feed the poor. I know of places that pick up tons of food every day from bakeries, grocery stores and even pizza places.
edit on 10-1-2013 by davjan4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Two words - distribution and lawsuits.

Mostly, its a distribution problem. It's also a fear/avoidance of litigation - what if some of the donated food causes food poisoning - the eater/food bank would have a lawsuit on their hands.

Someone should create a service which gathers up all this "throw away" food and bring it to the food shelters.

Unfortunately, there are numerous local, state, and federal laws which dictate the handling of "disposed" food. Food that is fresh, un-processed (un-cooked), or before the "sell by" date (including non-perishable) can easily be donated to local food banks. Unfortunately if the food is beyond the "sell by date" or is considered processed, cooked, or prepared - it is considered "adulterated" - meaning that it must be properly disposed of.

The big problem with most of this is the definition of "adulterated" which includes the cooking of food (fast food places, bakeries, etc...).

Take the situation of a bakery. They take yeast, flour, and sugar to make bread (generic here). Local/State/or federal guidelines tells them that baked bread has a "sell by" date of same day or next day (this is not something individual stores set). The end of the sell by date comes and the bakery wants to donate it to the food shelter. It's past it's sell by date so they are prevented by law from doing so. It's also a baked product (read adulterated), meaning they can't donate it (they could give the raw flour, yeast, and sugar - still good because its "unadulterated"). So how about donating the bread at the close of business on the first day and not waiting till the second day - some bakeries do this, but doing this too much eats into your profits (meaning they won't produce as much the next day). It's a loose-loose situation.

Slowly, however, there are a few local areas which are becoming wise to this and have started instituting their own food re-distribution programs - changing archaic laws and making sure that food is not going to waste. We'll just have to see if this catches on.

I would highly recommend anyone interested in this to press their local law makers (local and state) to pass more sane laws covering this (including protections for these types of donations against lawsuits resulting from suspected food poisoning arising from eating the donated food)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
We need to get back to the basics and start having more direct contact with our food whether that be hunting and gathering or farming and gardening, and until that happens we will continue to see these ridiculous amounts of waste.

Be the change we want to see in the world! IMHO

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by generik
as for stores throwing out food and even making said food inedible. they have NO CHOICE. just so you know STEALING FOOD from store dumpsters IS THEFT. actually so is taking ANYTHING out of a stores garbage.

Somehow I highly doubt that. Once anything is thrown in the garbage it legally becomes public domain, did you know that? This means that if you were to take your trash out and leave the bins on the street for the garbage truck, anybody could come along and dig through it and take whatever items they pleased, and nobody could do a thing about it.

The supreme court of Canada as well as the US Supreme Court have both ruled that once trash has been discarded it enters the public domain and therefore is not protected by privacy laws, and since the material has been rejected by the discarder, they no longer have legal claim to it.

Besides, you're implying that morals and laws matter at all when dealing with corporations. Even if it wasn't legal, who cares? They display a grievous lack of morals and empathy for humanity, so I see no reason why the general public should show them the same consideration.
edit on 10-1-2013 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by Philippines

Lately I have been noticing the opposite when it comes to bananas and other fruits. My pears start going bad quicker when there are bananas near them, it's odd.

I am thinking what ever country canada gets oranges from also freeze them like that. Oranges up here suck ass, they have like no flavor to them at all, even the tangerines are like that.

Are they ripe bananas? It could probably be the same thing but different. Try keeping them separate? =D

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

Originally posted by ladyteeny
reply to post by ADVISOR

sadly, here in the uk supermarkets pour bleach over their thrown away food to stop anybody salvaging it.. .. a practise i find hideously wrong too.

Wow i never knew that,It has too be one of the worst thing's they done what happens
if they are so hungry they eat it and who would be responsible..The person whom
consumed the food or the supermarket (Chain) for pouring bleach on it..

You would think the big supermarket's would have some kind of place they
could take this food and give it away too them whom need it the most..

Or is it because of profits..Let's face it if your going to give the food
away even charities would stop purchasing food for the food banks..

Thats truly disgusting.!!Thanks for that..

edit on 11-1-2013 by n00b2012 because: Becouse i need too ?
edit on 11-1-2013 by n00b2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

This is frightening if true.

Can you imagine how fat American broads would be if they ate ALL their food?

These whales should be throwing away 95%, amirite?

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Why we need more Food Not Bombs chapters in the States! We use food that would normally be disposed of and feed the homeless and hungry. No sense in wasting such bountiful resources!

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Yes, some traders are doing that, because of price, to remain it at higher level. That happened many times in history.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by VeritasAequitas

I worked for Hardee's fast food sometime during the latter portion of 2012..I eventually had to quit because it sickened me how much food they just threw away instead of feeding our staff, or offering it to a shelter, food kitchen, etc.

It was the throwing away of the food which bothered you, not the poisonous ingredients in said food? The Hardees diet isn't exactly renowned for its powers of rejuvenation.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

WOW!

Half of the worlds food just thrown away.

They say that some of it, in poorer countries, is thrown or not harvested due to improper packaging and/or collecting methods.

The suspermarkets seem to be the worst offenders due to their 'sell by' dates.

Don't blame the supermarket for that. I'm sure they would rather not have sell by dates. It costs them money to have to throw out food rather than sell it. They didn't make it, they bought it, if they don't sell it, they lose money.

The report found that between 30% and 50% of the four billion tonnes of food produced around the world each year went to waste.

Huge amounts of water are wasted on crops that are not picked because of their size, shape or colour and also from all the food that gets thrown because it was not bought.

As for the 'fussy' customers, this is, I feel, due to the supermarkets telling us what they believe the consumer wants and desires.

Wrong. Stores sell what sells, No one makes you buy anything. If the product is not wanted, and doesn't sell, the store will stop carrying that item and replace it with one that does sell, or they go out of business.

Special offers on foods in the shops makes us buy too much, so we waste that which we do not use. So we think we're getting a good deal, but there is a vasty amount of food behind that deal that is simply wasted. This is, of course, to do with profits for the companies.

No one is to blame other than the person who buys more than he/she can use.

Then we have the issue of people starving in various countries. We see constant adverts from charities asking for donations to help feed or give fresh water to millions of people.

The 'wasted' fresh food is not given to them as part of thisdeal as it is not profitable for the farmers/companies. but we're asked to give money to support a charitty that has very little power over what food stuffs are actually bought and given out.

I'm sure many companies would rather give the food to those in need if there was a way for them to do so without incurring an additional expense and not potentionally face legal action for giving spoiled food. Yes, they are in the buisness to make money. Shocker I know. They need to be more in the buisness of solving world hunger, who cares if they can afford to do so or not.

We need a rethink on our problem.

On the very same day that this report was released, we find this news;

Tesco has reported its strongest growth in UK Christmas sales for three years.

The country's biggest retailer reported that sales excluding new store openings, VAT and petrol grew 1.8% in the six weeks to 5 January, compared with the same period last year.

It said food sales had been particularly strong, with customers responding to "a much stronger seasonal offering".

www.bbc.co.uk...

A prime example of profits first..

News for you buddy, if they don't make profits, you would have no stores to go to.

The West may have almost every food in the world available in their shops, yet there is a major question.. why?

Every country is becoming mixed with people coming and going all the time. Demand for various food types is growing faster than we may be able to keep up with. Air travel is easy these days and you could pop over to another country to sample their foods in a matter of hours.. Yet people are still starving to death.

Are you really saying I need to go to China to have Chinese food and that all Chinese restaurants outside China should be closed? I'll repeat your first word in your post... WOW

These major corporations are mostly to blame, IMO, as they are profit based and don't want to sell the odd crops that do not meet the 'consumers' requirements..

Wrong again. If you want to blame anyone, blame the consumers that don't buy ugly fruit... Do you pick the best looking apples? or do you go for the ones with all the bruises to ensure atleast someone buys them and they don't go to waste.

You should go and spend some time in a less fortunate country and see just how well they manage their daily foods and what they are prepared to harvest and/or buy in order to feed themselves and their families. I've seen some pretty incredible conditions of certain foods being consumed or bought.. nothing like what we see in our supermarkets.. We see in the UK highly polsihed, waxed, washed, same size and clean fruit and vegetables..

I have, maybe you should.
edit on 11-1-2013 by CalebRight14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
For those in the UK (you can correct me if I'm wrong if any members work there) but I believe high street bakers such as Hampsons and Greggs throw away much of their unpurchased food each day.

I know someone who went in at closing time where they were throwing the food into bin bags. He offered to buy some of the food or that it could go to a charity/food bank but was told it all had to be thrown.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I used to work at Panera Bread and it used to be that we had a charity come by and pick up all of our left over baked goods at the end of the night. Then, someone tried to sue Panera claiming they got sick off the breads that they donated and they shut it down. You want to talk about a sickening waste of leftover food. Good God, it was staggering.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan
Once anything is thrown in the garbage it legally becomes public domain, did you know that?

Sure, if it's out on the curb. Many private businesses keep their private dumpsters on their own private property. Not that I advocate throwing away edible food, mind you.

posted on Jan, 12 2013 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Originally posted by CalebRight14

Don't blame the supermarket for that. I'm sure they would rather not have sell by dates. It costs them money to have to throw out food rather than sell it. They didn't make it, they bought it, if they don't sell it, they lose money.

That wouldn't be too much of a problem if they undercut every other buyer of produce..They even set their own prices that they're prepared to buy at.. often at a loss to the farmer.

News for you buddy, if they don't make profits, you would have no stores to go to.

When profits come before anything else, there is a problem.

Are you really saying I need to go to China to have Chinese food and that all Chinese restaurants outside China should be closed?

Not what I'm saying at all..

I have, maybe you should.

I have... Africa and the Philippines.. for almost 3 years combined..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join