It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover a Planet Almost Identical to Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Indeed. I've been looking for a while, at first I thought it was a journalistic oversight. Then the conspiracy lover in me thinks it's being held back, due to an unknown reason. Maybe they don't want every amateur with a telescope taking a look. But if that's the case, why say anything in the first place?

Good news anyway, but somewhat odd.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Midnight4444

It's not odd at all.

Where have you been?

They've been talking about extrasolar planets for a long time.

Check out my post here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Kepler is a big reason the news has been so busy lately.

They do have lots of data that's not "public". But that's because they haven't examined it yet to see what's real and what's not. They're not purposely hiding it to keep us ignorant.

These were the first extrasolar planet discoveries (officially 22 January 1992):
en.wikipedia.org - PSR B1257+12 B...
en.wikipedia.org - PSR B1257+12 C...

And about Kepler, check this out:
news.discovery.com - Kepler Scientist: 'Galaxy is Rich in Earth-Like Planets'...

Usually, NASA data is considered proprietary for a year after the data are gathered. This allows the mission scientists to have first dibs on the data they've invested a lot of time, energy and money collecting. After this time, other research groups can have access.

This may be common practice, but for a mission that's looking for worlds like our own, there's a high degree of impatience for the data to become public.

Although these Kepler results were supposed to remain secret until February 2011, Sasselov has given the world an unofficial glimpse into the possible discovery of Earth-like extra-solar planets. But by the looks of things, we're not talking about one or two "second Earths." We could be looking at a galaxy with a dominance of small rocky worlds.

edit on 9-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

I was referring to my inability to find which star system is being talked about. I understand the Kepler object of interest number, but I find it odd that nothing identifies the specific star.

Anyway, that's what's odd. Not the exo-planets themselves.

Perhaps you have a handy link for that too?

edit on 9-1-2013 by Midnight4444 because: To add unnecessary question

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Midnight4444

Somebody made a comment about it being 1930 light-years away in an exoplanet app. But after googling for several minutes was unable to find a definite name of the host star.

I did find that it's:
1) G-type star
2) Slightly coolor than our star

Maybe they'll name the host star and give the distance soon.

Also.... this is an unconfirmed candidate. It's not certain yet that it's accurate.
edit on 10-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I so wish we had FTL engines developed.

It would be nice to actually visit a "Earth like" Planet, hey?

S&F

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Cool stuff... Now if only we had the technology to be able to travel these vast distances...

I'm a few credits shy of my physics degree, but doesn't String Theory suggest an idea where we would be able to travel long distances through space in a relatively short amount of time? Wormholes, right?
edit on 10-1-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Doesn't say how far it's away?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
interesting! now i am wondering, what kind of life form could survive much higher temperatures (probably range from mojave desert like temps to impossibly high temps) and higher gravity? things that make you go hmmmmmmm. would they be lighter or heavier, shorter or taller, than humans?

also, that avatar is freakn' awesome, slayer. here's another sherlock holmes (i saw him do this role in person, in a stage production. he did a great job)
www.beyondspock.de...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

similar type of sun, similar distance/orbit etc; but there needs to be plenty more than that before i would use the term -"almost identical". what about oceans and atmosphere? only then would my eyebrows go up.

as to finding any planets at all around various stars, they surely would not expect to discover anything else? perhaps christianity has/had closed their minds. as far back as i can remember (pre teens) i accepted there were other stars with many planets. this was in the "40's.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
slayer in space forum shocker!!!

and here i was thinking that you lived in the ancient forum!

another s+f! you must spend 24 hrs a day online searching! and i thank you for it!

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Everytime we here this kind of news i feel more connected to the Galaxy we live in.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark

Originally posted by superman2012

All that seems to be up, in my opinion, is a snowball effect.
1903 - Wright brothers flight
1908 - first series production aircraft
1926 - first liquid fuel rocket
1939 - first turbojet airplane to fly (380 mph)

With the amount of people on the planet now, combined with all the knowledge available to us to have more superior tech in a shorter amount of time, well, I'll be surprised if we don't head out to one of these planets before 2030.

I agree. Knowledge does seem to be exponentially increasing and rather drastically too it seems. Should I also mention that the Bible also stated this also? That knowledge would increase during the end of days? I really wish there wouldn't be no end of days, because Humanity has so much to offer. People really need to see through the illusion and give up their greed and ego and learn to love. Why should our Humanity suffer at the expense of billions of individuals?

since you bring up the bible, please note that everything in existence was made by "god". all the increased knowledge, all the galaxies, all the men who are lovers of themselves in the endtimes, all the similar planets and all the evil you could conceive of. no doubt god will inspire them to love after sufficient suffering.
but i digress, its quite conceivable that FTL will ultimately be "cracked" and then we'll be arriving on those planets before we leave. lol.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
If true, I'm buying the first spaceship ticket..

Way too many crazy people in this world.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
There're lots of planets and lots of people and machines looking for them.

edit on 9-1-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

Absolutely correct. I was watching Stargazing Live last night and they were at JPL talking about the new James Webb Telescope they are constructing. It will be looking for radiation signatures (and the like). They were saying it is so sensitive it can pick up the radiation signature of a bee from a distance of the moon. Now that is crazy bat sh** technology and i would therefore expect all sorts of new info coming from that baby.

Just a shame (for me) that my understanding of it is along the lines of point, stare and say "ooh, pretty".

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I can't help but wonder if on KOI, the new planet, they are simultaneously announcing through their equivalent of NASA, the discovery of their first Goldilocks planet, and posting pictures of our Earth.

Of course they are, and they're just as excited about it as we are.

Here is a just-released photo of an inhabitant of the planet Koi:

You can see how excited they all are.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Do we deserve to go to another planet just to destroy it? I don't think so.

We as a race need to change i.e evolve, before we can possibly think about being accepted anywhere else.

At the moment we are no different to a cancer.

Great find Slayer SnF

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Except God is an Alien, from our point-of-view. The Ruler of All who commanded The Supreme Ones who terraformed this planet. And the bible is terribly mistranslated for the use as a controlling mechanism.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Sooo, what does this mean for the 92% probability of Gleise 581g as talked about in this thread:

Exoplanet with Highest Habitability Rating...

Seems to me we will be getting a ton of these "Mosts" in the coming year(s). While it is exciting and certainly I'd be one of the first on the vessel to travel if asked...the proof is in science fact not science speculation. The vast majority of us have been speculating (knowing not based on fact) that there are these planets, there is life out there.

The real question is, do we have the technology to get the facts?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheProphetMark
It seems to be a slow moving disclosure happening all at once these days. I've always believe life exist elsewhere in our Universe and it just unimaginable what it would be like to actually visit the planet and see what kind of creatures, maybe even intelligent beings on said planets. It makes me feel all giddy just thinking about it, and it's things like that that makes life beautiful.

I hope we get to meet or see another intelligent being in our lifetime, I would truly be thankful for it.

On the the side note; one would have to imagine how many civilizations out there that are far more advance than us with the capabilities to be able to travel to other planets. If you imagine that, you might as well imagine that they as well are finding many many other planets that they are calling 'Earth-like" planets, well not 'Earth' by their definition but the same meaning and you would have to imagine that's why they haven't came here to Earth to visit us yet because they have so many options to choose from regarding which planets to visit.

Who's to say they aren't here already? Millions of UFO sightings have been reported World wide, and millions even believe in the possibility of extra-terrestrials. I know I do.
edit on 9-1-2013 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

You're confusing discovery with disclosure. Why assume the most unlikely scenario?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
If true, I'm buying the first spaceship ticket..

Way too many crazy people in this world.

Tell me where you want the donations for that ticket to go. It'd be no problem for me to divert my monthly contribution to 'keep piers morgan out of the UK' to you instead.

---

Nice discovery but massively short of the 'almost identical' tag it seems to have acquired.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join