It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover a Planet Almost Identical to Earth

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
just wanted to say that the picture op used is from a movie that came out last year. i enjoyed it immensely. the movie is "another earth".

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
My thoughts? I am taking this into a new direction.

After many more "discoveries" and articles from these scientists...
A perceived threat will come from the skies in the form of "extra-terrestrials".
Just like the plan I read about years ago...

It will be the largest threat to ever hit modern civilization.
Global chaos will ensue.
But will it be real?

What will happen, you ask?
Everything from nationwide riots, to modern warfare.
The television will be it's greatest ally.
Striking fear into households daily.
Fear drives this nation to consume.
It will also drive it to accept whats coming.

More control.

(You wanted my thoughts. That's exactly what came to mind)

I don't see the logic... the world is threatened by an alien invader, so you think our response is to kill eachother? .. we start attacking ourselves in response to a foreign invader? =) .. doesn't at all seem plausible to me.. that would be like China invading the US so in response we blow up Mexico and Canada..

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Lawgiver

Meh, couldn't understand why it got such a good reception, it was okay.

Certainy better than that dreadful 'melancholia'. And what was that awful one with the shifting gravity that led kids to be clinging upsidedown to playground equipment and trains to fly into the air?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Midnight4444
reply to post by SLAYER69

Indeed. I've been looking for a while, at first I thought it was a journalistic oversight. Then the conspiracy lover in me thinks it's being held back, due to an unknown reason. Maybe they don't want every amateur with a telescope taking a look. But if that's the case, why say anything in the first place?

Good news anyway, but somewhat odd.

No amateur with a telescope could see this planet... no matter how hard they tried

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
My thoughts? I am taking this into a new direction.

After many more "discoveries" and articles from these scientists...
A perceived threat will come from the skies in the form of "extra-terrestrials".
Just like the plan I read about years ago...

It will be the largest threat to ever hit modern civilization.
Global chaos will ensue.
But will it be real?

What will happen, you ask?
Everything from nationwide riots, to modern warfare.
The television will be it's greatest ally.
Striking fear into households daily.
Fear drives this nation to consume.
It will also drive it to accept whats coming.

More control.

Well, Mr. Glass Half Empty... It seems to me there is equal possibility of a real (or fake) alien invasion inspiring humans to come together against a common enemy and finally put aside the ridiculous feuds that have been burning since ancient times. Maybe, maybe... maybe an alien threat would mark the beginning of something BETTER for our planet rather than a tool for the illuminati/NWO. Can't we all agree that scientists discovering proof of life on another world would be an AMAZING acheivement for humanity and not try turn it into a reason to go buy more guns? Your "new direction" is the same old direction. A blind alley direction too many people in this community have decided to go down.

BTW: Good job there on fighting fearmongering with fear of fearmongering. It's very meta.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
This was a screenshot taken off the Helioviewer.... I am a photographer by trade, I don't pretend to know every little technical detail in camera operations, but I do know... I've NEVER seen hot pixels act like this.

Life is out there... someone is holding back on the information. In some way... readying us for first contact.

I hope it will happen in my life time, because it will happen, that's a FACT.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jonnywhite

man...there is water on venus...you read well..water on venus

so water is everywhere

ingredients for life??..everywhere too

planets?? everywhere too

jesus??? only on planet earth

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

This new planet is discovered...very exciting.

Now...how to get to it.

Or...do some of TPTB already have a way; and won't tell us.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
No offense but we can discover all the planets in the world but what good will it do if we can't confirm that it indeed is an "Earth like" planet. Regardless though...exciting news and I'm sure before my lifetime we'll take another leap in technology advancement.
edit on 10-1-2013 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Midnight4444

Indeed. I've been looking for a while, at first I thought it was a journalistic oversight. Then the conspiracy lover in me thinks it's being held back, due to an unknown reason. Maybe they don't want every amateur with a telescope taking a look. But if that's the case, why say anything in the first place?

Good news anyway, but somewhat odd.

No amateur with a telescope could see this planet... no matter how hard they tried

For that matter, no telescope on Earth or even Hubble can effectively "Image" these planets.
They are discovered by observing the star, and calculating mass and orbital distance by detecting differences in the orbital pull that they put on the star, thus making it wobble around it's gravitational center.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda

Dood we are so far from interstellar travel as the late Keppler was from sending a rocket to the moon. Sure, he could fantasize about it and theorize about it, but he was still at the very beginning. Unless an unexpected breakthrough is reached on how to cheat spacetime all of our resources woudlnt be enough to power a rocket for 50.000 years to our closest star.
edit on 9-1-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

Actually that might not be true after all.

io9.com...
Seems they have made some breakthroughs on the math and currently NASA is experimenting on making tiny warp bubbles so they can prove the theory.

If they can create a workable warp bubble that they are able to control in the next couple of years, even at the microscopic level, the rate in which this technology will develop will be staggering. If this works, you can bet we will be colonizing half the solar system by 2030.

edit on 13/1/10 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Here's how I see it:

We discover an earth-like planet.

We spend billions of dollars studying it while developing genetically engineered organisms specifically designed to colonize other worlds.

We build a ship capable of carrying a thousand of them.

We send the ship to the other planet with undisclosed orders and scientists on hand to remotely direct our "pioneers".

Upon approaching the planet, initiate Independence Day sequence.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
No offense but we can discover all the planets in the world but what good will it do if we can't confirm that it indeed is an "Earth like" planet. Regardless though...exciting news and I'm sure before my lifetime we'll take another leap in technology advancement.
edit on 10-1-2013 by HawkeyeNation because: (no reason given)

Its very likely that we will be expanding throughout our solar system in the next few decades. The need for this is coming to a head and the technology is readily available. Also private industry is expected to shine this year when it comes to space based industries and if that is so then it wont be long before we are heading out in full force.

What this will mean though is the research they are doing now, will benefit us greatly once we do have the means of travelling to those locations. In my opinion i dont believe that this is far off and i think there are even many of us who will even have an opportunity to gain employment in space based industries within our lifetime.

Anyhow, by the time we are ready to go, we may even have advanced the technology enough to know what these planets look like, or possibly may have made contact through communications with other races who may be at the same levels of technology as we are.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Mars is almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Venus is almost identical to Earth.

There is no means of determining how much, if any atmosphere that planet has. There is no means of determining if that atmosphere is capable of allowing the the existence of liquid water on the planet's surface.
edit on 1/10/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Mars is almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Venus is almost identical to Earth.

It could be though, that's the thing. We just have to accept that at the moment "almost identical to Earth" is the best description we can come up with (until technology improves).

Some of these planets "could" be better than Earth in terms of conditions for habitation, some "could" be worse and some (probably many) "could" be totally off the mark!

This is the good side of humanity so i prefer to view it glass half full than glass half empty.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Every time I read these announcements what strikes me is the sheer arrogance of them calling it "Earth-like" or "Earth's Twin" etc.

Like mentioned before - all they are doing is measuring light-density variations of a star. When it dims, voila! A planet!

I guess calling it "earth-like" is more glamorous than simply saying "there might be a hunk of rock orbiting around a star out there"

Still good news I guess

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Even if there was life on these planets how would we contact them?

Although there does seem to be more and more getting discovered so you never know might only be a matter of time before one of them discovers us.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

It could be though, that's the thing. We just have to accept that at the moment "almost identical to Earth" is the best description we can come up with (until technology improves).

I'll accept that it makes a good headline.

Some of these planets "could" be better than Earth in terms of conditions for habitation
Not better than where I live on Earth.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This is great. Now SETI /ATA will have some interesting place(s) to focus on. If they are still operating?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

There is no means of determining how much, if any atmosphere that planet has. There is no means of determining if that atmosphere is capable of allowing the the existence of liquid water on the planet's surface.
edit on 1/10/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

You are the (amateur) expert here, i freely confess to getting lost in all the science of space and space exploration. However, isn't that one of the purposes of the James Webb Telescope? That it can measure far more stuff? Or have i got hopelessly lost again?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join