It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover a Planet Almost Identical to Earth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It seems almost staged. I am older and I recall a few things from my school years.
I would say I suffer a bit from future shock but otherwise I too am suspicious something's up.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
In very rare instances, if we have detected a planet around a star where we have an edge-on view of the suspected orbit, it may be possible to determine the atmosphere (or at least some of it's characteristics) if we can catch the planet eclipsing the star, and then use the spectrum of starlight passing through its atmosphere. The missing light frequencies expose what elements absorbed the missing light.
edit on 10-1-2013 by charlyv because: clarity

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Webb will be much more capable than Kepler. It may make it possible to determine if an exoplanet (a "super earth") has an atmosphere and what its major components are. I don't think it will be able to do so for more "earthlike" planets.

edit on 1/10/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Another Earth is an amazing movie with a very thought provoking ending.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
If the amount of galaxies, planets, and stars out there are correct, even remotely correct, then its mathematically impossible for it to not be other life, intelligent or not.

This isn't a surprise to me. What is surprising are the scientists who think life can't originate on other planets without oxygen and water. We can't DEFINE LIFE.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Another Earth is an amazing movie with a very thought provoking ending.

I havent seen it yet.
I guess that's why the source article used the image?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

No threat to Einstein
The new material contains a nano-scale structure that guides light waves through the metal-coated glass. It is the first with a refractive index below 0.1, which means that light passes through it at almost infinite speed, says Albert Polman at the FOM Institute AMOLF in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. But the speed of light has not, technically, been broken. The wave is moving quickly, but its "group velocity" – the speed at which information is travelling – is near zero.

Yeah, this is from your article........So no they haven't found that out yet......

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Mars is almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Venus is almost identical to Earth.

There is no means of determining how much, if any atmosphere that planet has. There is no means of determining if that atmosphere is capable of allowing the the existence of liquid water on the planet's surface.

i dont know man..

with this post i really see that life in the universe subject is by no way your forte

i believe more this planet has life on it than the story of your god coming down here on planet earth in a human form to change water into wine lol

and btw..this aint a Nibiru story you can acquire some stars for your collection..no sir..

we have evidence to support what im talking about...they even told us that its parent star is like ours!!! with all the essential elements for life!!

VICTORY!!!! WE ARE NOT ALONE

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Who said anything about life or not?

All I said is that all we know about that planet is its size and its distance from its star. It is like Earth in its size and in its distance from its star.

If you think that guarantees there is life on it, fine. If you believe there is life on Venus, fine. If you believe there is life on Mars, fine.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

Webb will be much more capable than Kepler. It may make it possible to determine if an exoplanet (a "super earth") has an atmosphere and what its major components are. I don't think it will be able to do so for more "earthlike" planets.

what we are doing at the moment is by far more then we are supposed to...

what we do now will be much appreciated by future generations...future interstellar human generations

or it can happen that the rate by which human evolution occurs speeds up the more technology available we have...if we are finding these planets now with our current technology in 10yrs with the aid of more powerful..quantum techonology who can tell what we as a species will be achieving...

only IF..we dont sop dreaming about not being alone..like you and your friend Morrison want us to do

edit on 10-1-2013 by heineken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Not to be rude or anything of the sort, but I believe the scientist are being the dumb ones. How so? They either don't know or they are lying.

They don't know or lying in the ways that our own solar system, all of our own planets, have livable conditions. Meaning, you can walk on them without suffering any ill effect without a space suit of any sort.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   

What are we "supposed to" do?

only IF..we dont sop dreaming about not being alone..like you and your friend Morrison want us to do

What makes you think I think there is no other life in the Galaxy?
Who is Morrison?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Venus is almost identical to Earth.

There is no means of determining how much, if any atmosphere that planet has. There is no means of determining if that atmosphere is capable of allowing the the existence of liquid water on the planet's surface.

"Almost identical to Earth.
By those standards Venus is almost identical to Earth."

why are you bring Mars and Venus into the picture??

this planet in questions resides in the HABITABLE ZONE ya know man?

its not like Mars..or..Venus...its like

EARTH

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   

So do Venus and Mars.
www.pbs.org...

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

What are we "supposed to" do?

Who is Morrison?

its evident you are trying to downplay this news...you brought up Venus and Mars as candidates to resemble the planet in question when this planet resides in the habitable zone so is by no way close to be like venus or mars..

instead of celebrating the finding like all the believers in life in the universe do...you come downplaying the news...

that is what makes me think you are still stuck to your childhood teachings about jesus

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

So do Venus and Mars.
www.pbs.org...

"enjoys all of the same ideal conditions as we do, as far as astronomers can tell"

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

that is what makes me think you are still stuck to your childhood teachings about jesus

What? Now you think you know something about my religious ideas?

What the hell are you talking about? All I said is there is no way of knowing if this planet is "almost identical to Earth" except for its size and distance from its star.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Why are you so desperate for there NOT to be any other life out there? I just dont get it. your like a flat earther.
Time will and is telling.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   

"enjoys all of the same ideal conditions as we do, as far as astronomers can tell"

Yes. And they can't tell if it has an atmosphere.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

ok no problem..can you join the celebrations with us now?

aa btw

" "habitable zone" — the region where liquid water could exist on the planet's surface." Space.com (reliable source)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join