It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers Discover a Planet Almost Identical to Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
ok i read yesterday that they estimate there is 17 billion planets in our galaxy alone

what they have found about planets in our solar system alone i don,t believe they can say for fact about how many of them have life

i,m not dismissing life,what i mean is just cause a planet may be a bit out or in from the so called goldilocks zone doesn,t mean life may not be there.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
reply to post by SLAYER69

All that seems to be up, in my opinion, is a snowball effect.
1903 - Wright brothers flight
1908 - first series production aircraft
1926 - first liquid fuel rocket
1939 - first turbojet airplane to fly (380 mph)

With the amount of people on the planet now, combined with all the knowledge available to us to have more superior tech in a shorter amount of time, well, I'll be surprised if we don't head out to one of these planets before 2030.

I agree. Knowledge does seem to be exponentially increasing and rather drastically too it seems. Should I also mention that the Bible also stated this also? That knowledge would increase during the end of days? I really wish there wouldn't be no end of days, because Humanity has so much to offer. People really need to see through the illusion and give up their greed and ego and learn to love. Why should our Humanity suffer at the expense of billions of individuals?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
What does earth like mean? A rocky planet just the right distance from the sun, or can they tell if it has water?

With the amount of people on the planet now, combined with all the knowledge available to us to have more superior tech in a shorter amount of time, well, I'll be surprised if we don't head out to one of these planets before 2030.

Dood we are so far from interstellar travel as the late Keppler was from sending a rocket to the moon. Sure, he could fantasize about it and theorize about it, but he was still at the very beginning. Unless an unexpected breakthrough is reached on how to cheat spacetime all of our resources woudlnt be enough to power a rocket for 50.000 years to our closest star.
edit on 9-1-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Close enough to the sun than 'would' make it habitable or 'could 'make it habitable?

That's assuming these people think the only other type of life must resemble us and our needs, not those of say a planet like Pluto.

Scientists are so stupid sometimes.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

I don't know if the're stupid but your right.
Frozen moons with water beneath may harbor life to.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MmmPie

I agree, even the Vatican has been showing interest in discovering life outside of our planet. Which would essentially contradict their teachings. Not to say all their teachings would be bogus, just certain aspects of it.

Indeed they have, and for a very long time too...

The Vatican Observatory is one of the oldest astronomical research institutions in the world.

Vatican Observatory

edit on 1/9/2013 by Klassified because: grammar

edit on 1/9/2013 by Klassified because: formatting

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   

This is exciting news indeed, Slayer. I can't help but wonder if on KOI, the new planet. They are simultaneously announcing through their equivalent of NASA, the discovery of their first Goldilocks planet, and posting pictures of our Earth. Wouldn't that be something....

Des

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merinda
What does earth like mean? A rocky planet just the right distance from the sun, or can they tell if it has water?

Dood we are so far from interstellar travel as the late Keppler was from sending a rocket to the moon. Sure, he could fantasize about it and theorize about it, but he was still at the very beginning. Unless an unexpected breakthrough is reached on how to cheat spacetime all of our resources woudlnt be enough to power a rocket for 50.000 years to our closest star.
edit on 9-1-2013 by Merinda because: (no reason given)

Did you think that light had a set speed? So did everyone else. They just discovered that it doesn't.
Link

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Makes you wonder...
As we send probes or even manned flights in the future, will WE become their aliens? Will our wrecked flights end up in THEIR "area 51" equivalent? Will they have outrageous stories about us?

....or, are other, more advanced civiliations on other planets waiting for us to catch up a little more before they contact us?

A coin has two sides indeed but a sphere has many, many sides, infinitely many, so they all converge into a curved plane forming the sphere....

Everything we know, everything we've been, it's changing on a daily basis. Are we ready for change? Will we embrace it or rebel against it? Will we be controlled or will we be freed? There are many, many questions and the answers will be forthcoming.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I thought some of you would find this as interesting as I did.

Now, as many here have already questioned. Whats next if they find signs of intelligent life? If we do and they are a bit primitive compared to us do we figure out how to get there in a relatively quick amount of time to spy on them?

I'll tell you guys right now I'm not down with Probing peeps against their wills....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I thought some of you would find this as interesting as I did.

Now, as many here have already questioned. Whats next if they find signs of intelligent life? If we do and they are a bit primitive compared to us do we figure out how to get there in a relatively quick amount of time to spy on them?

I'll tell you guys right now I'm not down with Probing peeps against their wills....

I see somebody knows what it's like to be probed against their will

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TheProphetMark

If you're a guy, just wait buddy, live long enough and when you're old enough you'll know....

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   

If you're a guy, just wait buddy, live long enough and when you're old enough you'll know....

I didn't even get chocolates...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

You're right, colon cancer affected my Mom and others in the family, so I might after all.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Did you think that light had a set speed? So did everyone else. They just discovered that it doesn't.
Link

it didn't have a set speed, it has a maximum speed, in a vaccum.
However, due to relativity, depending on the index of refraction, that speed can be altered in materials (as opposed to the vaccum)
It's compliated, but the speed (limit) of light(in a vaccum) hasn't been disproven or altered, we're only seeing a different aspect of the movement of light in the realm of the theory of relativity

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kthxbai

Stupid smart guy, I hate you.

You so just spoke over my pay grade.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I love how astronomers are finding new planets all the time, it's very exciting and I can't wait until they find something we should visit.

However I have one question I can't seem to find the answer for. What star is this planet around? I've read all the articles, looked at the Kepler data, and even checked the exo planet app I have, yet I cannot find the star system. I'm not saying it is being hidden..but has anyone come across this info?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I keep wondering who we will find first......

Bigfoot or ET.

Only time will tell. I might have missed it but how far away is this planet?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

reply to post by kthxbai

Stupid smart guy, I hate you.

You so just spoke over my pay grade.

It's all good

You can always increase your paygrade

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Ok I can't find what the star is called nor how far away it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join