It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Kid Yourself America, Gun Control isn Not About the 2nd Ammendment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Its about power. You all masquerade that it is about protecting your civil liberties and your constitution, but it is not is it? start being honest with yourselves and others about the real reason you want to keep your gun. It is about feeling powerful isn't it? That is all it is, you think that owning a gun makes you powerful, because you have the ability to take somebodys life should you choose to do so. This makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, that you have the power to end a life at the detention of your trigger finger. You do not want your government to take this power away from you because it will leave a void in your life. You feel so strongly about this that you are willing to see so many deaths of your citizens each year to uphold your right to feel powerful oops i mean bear arms.

Maybe if you all started being honest about why you really don't want gun control, then us outsiders might be able to accept your reasoning.

Just a thought.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I'm not American.

I am a gun owner.

You're kind of wrong, and it's kind of insulting? For some people, yes it's true that it's a power and status thing, and a lot of people like collecting ... but there are people like myself who have them for work reasons, and also feel a little bit safer sometimes. I'm a pretty tiny person and I live alone.

I don't personally think guns will protect Americans from their own government in an open conflict, but they allow a lot of other things.

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

For some it is, for others it is because we live in a world that bad people do bad things. I have weapons for one simple reason when it comes down to you or any one else attempting to harm my family I will not hesitate to trade your life for theirs.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

You are exactly right, for the wrong reason.

It is about power. Not, however, power over our fellow man, but power over the government.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Text

Originally posted by Pinke
I'm not American.

I'm a pretty tiny person

Yes many gun owners are.

If you need it for your job, that is a legitimate reason. But stuffing one under your pillow at night is not.
edit on 9-1-2013 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Any proof to back up your "wild ass" assumptions? Or have you not taken your meds today?

Seriously, I dont' get it. Help me out here. But please read the 2nd before you start anymore ridiculous threads based on fear and acting as a "useful idiot" for the corrupt American government......

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomtangentsrme

You are exactly right, for the wrong reason.

It is about power. Not, however, power over our fellow man, but power over the government.

So as your guns give you no power over your government then you can give them up can't you?

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   

The power to take ones life should not belong solely to Governments and Gangsters..

I don't own a gun, but I am a major supporter of the second amendment.. People should fear for their lives if they try to force themselves on others..

Governments are not better than their people. This is an outdated European view point.

link   
I have the power to kill someone if I so chose, and I don't own a gun. I have two hands and a brain, and I know ho to use them.

What's your point?

link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Any proof to back up your "wild ass" assumptions? Or have you not taken your meds today?

Seriously, I dont' get it. Help me out here. But please read the 2nd before you start anymore ridiculous threads based on fear and acting as a "useful idiot" for the corrupt American government......

yes I can provide you with proof. Just give me a moment to fish it out.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad

The power to take ones life should not belong solely to Governments and Gangsters..

I don't own a gun, but I am a major supporter of the second amendment.. People should fear for their lives if they try to force themselves on others..

Governments are not better than their people. This is an outdated European view point.

Right so we are getting somewhere here. Are you now admiting that owning a gun is more about the power it brings?

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   

They wont give them up.

So whats your solution?

Hire people with guns to start gunfights on every city block in order to take them forcefully?

That will facilitate 10x the violence than is occurring currently.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

No.. it's about our rights. We should be able to own what we choose. It's a free country. Other countries may be used to having the government control what they can own, but we aren't.

We are becoming less free by the day. Gun advocates messed up by trying to pillow talk the lefties saying "it's for hunting or sport" they should have just straight up said "it's our right and it's in case the government tries to hurt the people," but then they have to suffer a barrage of questions and accusations. So they softened the wording.

If you aren't an American and you have never had the freedom to buy a gun you will never understand. If you are an American, go down to a gun store, and buy yourself a little pistol. Just for the hell of it. Take it home, learn about it, and then if you still hate it, take it back. It's just one of those freedoms we have. We are losing them all the time, but we shouldn't, we should actually be gaining more and getting rid of stupid laws.

I think if you want to go and get a particular drug you should be allowed to. It's your choice and it hurts no one but you. If you use it and die, sorry, if you use it and hurt someone, go to jail.

It's our right, sorry you and many others don't have to capacity that our forefathers did, but that's the way it is. They wrote shall not be infringed for a reason.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Originally posted by Dustytoad

Right so we are getting somewhere here. Are you now admiting that owning a gun is more about the power it brings?

It's a balance of power amended into the constitution to check the government/foreign governments.. It has little to do with personal power, as once again I don't own a gun.. I am glad many of my fellow countrymen do however..

They should have to amend the constitution itself to limit the right to own any ARMS.
edit on 1/9/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by randomtangentsrme

Do you think you can overwhelm the government with your guns?

your gun against RPG and Grenade launchers? or better yet attack drones?

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

Yes except, guy with a gun could just shoot you from across the parking lot while... 2 hands has its limitation, and gives a fighting chance to the victim.

Of course, two hands can't kill 10 people in 3 sec either.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

It's not about "power", as you put it. It IS about respect!

Fellow, law-abiding, gun owners RESPECT each other. They do not fear each other. EVEN, when the other guy's gun is bigger than ours...

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Also you have any idea how powerful the armament industry lobby is?

For all we know, this is a conspiracy to generate gun sales.

Every cry to ban guns causes a thousand gun sales after all.
Anyone seen sales this last month? They are through the roof.

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

You couldn't be more wrong if your first, middle, and last names were Wrong.

The Second Amendment exists for several reasons, the most important of which are (paraphrasing):
1) To recognize that it is the right of every person to bear arms in order to defend themselves and others against unlawful and possible harmful aggression
2) To allow the citizens to bear arms in the event that the governmental authorities can no longer uphold the law of the land, or the government becomes tyrannical to the point that revolution is warranted

Further, get to know your statistics before you talk about gun-related homicides:

There are over 270 million guns in the USA. That is 88 guns for every 100 people, yet just over 8,000 gun-related homicides in 2011. Percentage-wise this is lower than many countries. Also, violent crime on the whole is far less in the US compared to other nations with stricter gun control.

More people die each year from drunken driving, medical malpractice, and a whole bunch of other things. Do you see the same attention?

Bottom line, when the statistics do not support the measures that are being taken, you need to look for other agendas at work.

This is a horrifically uneducated OP with rambling about the mindset of the typical gun owner. Really, you're going to psychologically diagnose the entirety of gun owners? Get real!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join