It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why i own guns.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I don't own any assault weapons yet as the good ones are expensive and I like to pay my bills. I do however own high powered rifles and pump action shotguns. I do not hunt as I find sitting out in the woods in the freezing cold tobe a huge turn off as well as dragging a heavy deers corpse out of the woods just as UN appealing(not that they are not tasty as deer roast and jerky are delightful). I own my weapons for defense of my home and family in the case of my shotguns and for my high powered long rifles defense of my neighbor hood.

I do not wish to ever draw arms against any person but, I am not foolish enough to believe that a desperate individual let alone a power hungry government will not put me in a situation where it may become the only option for my survival. My family means far to much to me to let them be solely protected by people with no relation or personal interest in their survival.

Those of you who feel guns are to dangerous for common citizens to hold I must ask how do you put so much faith in those in seats of power to place your family before their own? Do you not think that in times of national emergency or famine that a cop will allow your family to have food when his are starving. What if you only had enough to feed your wife and children and could not be kind and share, or even worse what if he was not interested in sharing and wished it all for his family and cared not that yours starved? What could you do in the five to fifteen minutes it takes the police to respond to a home invasion to keep your family safe besides sacrifice your own life in hopes it slows him down .

I can not nor will I be subjugated by these laws as they are unconstitutional as well as against common sense. I know what's best for me and mine and the false sense of security you wish to force upon me and millions of others is both foolish and dangerous, as you will truly be allowing those who wish harm and are fueled by greed and desperation a flock of easy targets.

My heart goes out to those who have died in senseless acts of violence and their devastated family's but your knee-jerk reaction will cause more harm than good. We do not live an utopia nor will we ever and to think that ridding US of guns will keep you safe is so ignorant it borders on insanity. For those of you who do not know insanity is when one consistently performs the same actions expecting a different out come. Colombine and the Hollywood shoot outs occurred during an assault weapons ban yet they still occurred and one would argue quite effectively.

Thank you for reading

Oasisjack

edit on 9-1-2013 by oasisjack because: stupid auto correct

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I agree with you, OP. Plus, if TPTB get their way and actually disarm Americans, they still will only have disarmed the ones who wouldn't use the guns for violent crime, anyway. The criminals will still be armed, as will the police (who are already proving that some of them are more unbalanced than the thugs). Only the innocent people who are minding their own business will be in danger if the fevered dream of a disarmed populace is achieved.

Those of us who live out in the country rely on our guns as a means of self-defense, as calling 911 would be rather pointless, since it would take the cops at least 1/2 an hour to get out here. Take our guns away, and we would be sitting ducks, with no close neighbors and no way to defend ourselves.

As with most things the government cooks up, it is never about our safety, and always about something else. I smell Agenda 21 all over this latest attempt to take our firearms.

I'm pretty sure that our founding fathers are looking down on us with pure disgust. All their sacrifice appears to be for naught.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Great post. I own guns because I don't want to be defenseless if someone comes in my home to hurt me and my kids.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
It's sad trying to use dead children and their distraught parents and community to push an agenda that leaves the remaining family and children at greater risk. Foolish and even worse deliberate.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
oops.. misconstrued... Qoote posts you're referencing, willya?
edit on 9-1-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

And your reasoning that I am an idiot is based on what? That during an armed home invasion simply asking the intruder to leave works better than the sound of a round being chambered in a pump action shotgun. Or that the police are waiting out side your door 24/7 to bust in and arrest the baddies as soon as they enter? Cause that has not been my understanding of how things work.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Pretty much all of the recent propaganda that an awb will keep another school shooting from happening if only law abiding citizens didn't have access to them or magazines that contain more than ten rounds. I'll accept that you are anti gun as is your right as an American citizen but I do not accept the logic behind your stance as it requires faith in both humanity and the government to look out for you over their own interests.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by oasisjack

You're right. I know that if I were in bed and heard someone break in all I'd have to do is pump the shot gun and I most likely wouldn't even need to shoot anyone.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ireminisce

That sound alone has made many an intruder need a change of underwear but allowed everyone involved to keepisode their lives

new topics

top topics

join