It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi archaeologists unearth 1,400-year-old gold coins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 01:39 AM
link   
What a fun job looking for buried treasure must be.. Im amazed that there is still stuff like this just laying around out there.

I know its not really the same thing but my wife and I have been talking about getting some metal detectors and trying a little prospecting as a hobby

finds like this and all those damm gold shows gives me a little fever lol

www.rawstory.com...

Iraqi archaeologists have found 66 gold coins that are at least 1,400 years old, officials said on Monday, adding that they hope to put them on display in Baghdad’s National Museum.

The artefacts, which date back to the Sassanid era that extended from 225 BC to 640 AD, will be sent for laboratory tests in order to confirm their authenticity.

They were discovered in the town of Aziziyah, which lies 70 kilometres (40 miles) southeast of Baghdad in Wasit province, according to Hassanain Mohammed Ali, director of the provincial antiquities department

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Great find S&F

They look like they were minted yesterday

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

And also an ideal motive to wage war on the middle east dressed up as an anti terror campaign. They havent found what they are looking for and they wont because its no longer there, however there are some that continue with the wars in hope. Muppets.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by goou111

And also an ideal motive to wage war on the middle east dressed up as an anti terror campaign. They havent found what they are looking for and they wont because its no longer there, however there are some that continue with the wars in hope. Muppets.

wrong forum bro
edit on 9-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
alittle bit of happiness, compared to US's invasion back in 2002-2003 where Americans turned everything - including the museum & ancient relics - upside down and stole/destroyed most everything. barely half of the museum contents has been recovered, a decade later

US never repaid Iraqi - except by hanging(?) Saddam without trial.

figures!

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Great find S&FThey look like they were minted yesterday
Properties of Gold as metal

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Great point.

There was another story a few weeks back about a Gold find in Eastern Europe I believe where a few members seemed surprised at how pristine and the high level of craftsmanship the Gold artifacts were and some questioned their authenticity based on that observation.

Well for me it just shows two things. One, why Gold is and was so highly prized. It lasts forever. Secondly it also shows just how advanced and talented some of these early culture/civilizations craftsmen/smiths were.

posted on Jan, 9 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
A little off topic but does anyone know a good affordable metal detector?

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by hp1229

Great point.

There was another story a few weeks back about a Gold find in Eastern Europe I believe where a few members seemed surprised at how pristine and the high level of craftsmanship the Gold artifacts were and some questioned their authenticity based on that observation.

Well for me it just shows two things. One, why Gold is and was so highly prized. It lasts forever. Secondly it also shows just how advanced and talented some of these early culture/civilizations craftsmen/smiths were.
Precisely there is/was a reason for it to be a priced/valuable possession. Initially used by civilizations to preserve monuments and/or idols, it became the wealth of the rulers. Easy to work with and lasts forever. In addition, it can be easily converted into commodity/cash/investment. It is/was also used in many modern technological implementations.

posted on Jan, 10 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Its rare you find coins that old in such good condition that will be the find of that persons life.

I tried a little metal detecting a couple of years ago and all i got was one roman coin

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by goou111

Here in Aus, they cost around $7000. But you can get a good second hand one for a couple of thousand. Most professional prospectors update thier detectors every year and thier previous ones are still very good. I live in a gold area and if all my other buisness ideas dont eventuate in the next couple of years am going buy a detector and do as the locals do.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

7000 wow.. Guess Ill have to find some gold first

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by minnow
alittle bit of happiness, compared to US's invasion back in 2002-2003 where Americans turned everything - including the museum & ancient relics - upside down and stole/destroyed most everything. barely half of the museum contents has been recovered, a decade later

US never repaid Iraqi - except by hanging(?) Saddam without trial.

figures!

Happen to have any evidence that A:US troops engaged in any destruction of Iraqi museums?B:That said troops had stolen any artifacts or treasure?Links to witness reports or Iraqi leaders charges would do.As for the butcher of Bagdad goes he was tried and executed by his own people.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by hp1229

Great point.

Isn't gold amazing?Like incorruptible!I just had the same thought that they looked almost new to be that old and was impressed with the artistry as well.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by goou111

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by goou111

wrong forum bro
edit on 9-1-2013 by goou111 because: (no reason given)

It is right forum, the truth always has a right to be anywhere. But sorry to tell you that was a lie.
We don't have to find what we are looking for, we just do what we think is right. Enrich our country upon the suffering of others. We reserve and deserve the right to do that! We are American, remember?
How could we enjoy ourlives if we don't takeaway something from others? We are American right?

But to tell you what, we lack of one thing, we are not having enough! We deserve to have more and more!

By the way we can always win our war in Middle East or any war, we just play smart, we want to play game long as we can enjoy things longer.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Instead of getting a metal detector and hunting for old metal in the ground, should not we better off planting and growing something to feed our mouthes?

Gold is just another metal that won't fill up your hunger!

Those Romans and other ancient coins go to museum! It won't make you any richer and better off in your pockets.
You might be day dreaming of selling off those coins making a fortune, while other lamers waiting for dumbers spending their time and money buying those old stuff to put them in a special place as collections.

posted on Jan, 11 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hamarha

Instead of getting a metal detector and hunting for old metal in the ground, should not we better off planting and growing something to feed our mouthes?

Gold is just another metal that won't fill up your hunger!

Those Romans and other ancient coins go to museum! It won't make you any richer and better off in your pockets.
You might be day dreaming of selling off those coins making a fortune, while other lamers waiting for dumbers spending their time and money buying those old stuff to put them in a special place as collections.

I have food .. What I need is gold

new topics

top topics

join