It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The saddest graph you'll see today

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
For those wishing for more "meat" to digest ... I agree... content visualization is a fine art... but it is not a science....

I think the lion's share of data came from here bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

You'd think the media would be above having to sensationalize something as serious rape.

That graph comes across like a bit of a piss take graphic, like something that Chris Morris would come up with for Brass eye.

How on earth would they have a clue on the numbers of unreported rapes? I know people will claim they can make an educated guess by talking to a sample of women in confidential surveys and whatever but things like that are unlikely to ever be anywhere near accurate.

Very poor behaviour from the washington post.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And for us men its not uncommon to have a woman feeling ashamed or having to explain an unexpected bun in the oven to suddenly try and deflect it away as they got raped and it which point a night of bunga-bunga between 2 willing persons has suddenly become a rape case and the poor bloke will spend the rest of his life as a potential sex offender even if he never goes near a woman again

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RandyBragg

I guess thats because they have to work within the framework of the laws presented at trial to them?
second line

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
This graph is only sad if you think everyone that is accused of a crime is guilty. Would this graph be as "sad" if instead of "rapists" at the top is was people who violate copyright law with file sharing programs? Would it be sad if it was alleged "terrorists" at the top of the graph instead of rapists?

Originally posted by Dimithae

I guess thats because they have to work within the framework of the laws presented at trial to them?
second line

sorry bro, that makes no sense? What are you trying to say?
edit on 7-1-2013 by RandyBragg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thanks for one more reason to allow people to defend themselves via the 2nd amendment.
Ladies - you know where to aim, right?

(crosses legs uncomfortably) Now you know how to suggest a deterrent that would work! Yeah...don't kill 'em. It's living that would scare even warped minds like that straight.

Seriously though, that is an awfully good argument given the fact 'large man vs. mid to small size woman' is usually no question for outcome without something to level the odds a bit.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
HA well so I went to the source itself. The Enliven Project

For those of you who have asked, here is the background on the stats we used:

Some reports suggest that only 5-25% of rapes are reported to authorities. Other suggest that close to half are reported. We assumed 10%, which is dramatic, but possible. Of the rapes that are reported, approximately 9 are prosecuted. Of the prosecuted, 5 result in felony convictions. This is across the board for all felony prosecutions, not just rape. Assuming that 2% of reported rapes are false and a 10% reporting rate, the graphic assumes that 2 of 1000 rapes are falsely reported (assuming a rape can’t be falsely reported unless it’s reported in the first place)

I bold the interesting words used. They have NO proof, they are making assumptions. Also notice the use of "felony convictions" not "convictions. Which means they are not counting lesser charged convictions just to pad their false stats.

That is a bunk graphic from made up stats from a group with an agenda. It is not FACT op like you claimed. I am not saying rape or sexual assault isn't a problem, it is, but groups like this and bunk stats do not help the cause, they hurt it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A fair enough argument, and I would agree, smaller potential targets should protect themselves, female or male, from any threat with any equaliser they can find.

I do however, resent Asktheanimals' implication that if a man is walking towards you, he is probably a rapist.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Most crimes are not reported and most reported crimes do not end in arrest. These are solid facts as reported by US Department of Justice research.

In many urban jurisdictions, significant percentages of those charged with crimes are not prosecuted. Here the research is not nearly as strong but newspaper accounts seem to put the figure between 20-40 percent.

The Philadelphia Inquirer recently stated that nearly two-thirds of violent crimes are not prosecuted. See crimeinamerica.net...[/
/

New sex crime arises after Arpaio fails to investigate alleged rape.

400+ rape, sexual assault reports never followed up. www.tucsonsentinel.com...

Disgusting for America's most "beloved" sheriff.

That said, I think rape is more common within the prison system than on the street.

edit on 7-1-2013 by frazzle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I didn't report what happened to me.

The shame, fear, disgust, anger.....just bottled it up and tried to stay away from him.

Over the years, many of my friends have confided about being raped. I believe them, too...or else they deserve an Academy Award.

I don't know about the validity of your graph, but I can attest. Far more women are raped than ever report it.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

What made me really sad was the reaction of ATS members.

"Statisticians have no idea what they are doing, I know stats better than the experts"

"Blame women, its their fault, they are always trying to falsely accuse us"

edit on 7/1/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thanks for one more reason to allow people to defend themselves via the 2nd amendment.
Ladies - you know where to aim, right?

(crosses legs uncomfortably) Now you know how to suggest a deterrent that would work! Yeah...don't kill 'em. It's living that would scare even warped minds like that straight.

Seriously though, that is an awfully good argument given the fact 'large man vs. mid to small size woman' is usually no question for outcome without something to level the odds a bit.

I just have to laugh and shake my head at you people who think guns are the answer to everything.

I can just imagine the Rambo like image you have of yourself and every gun owner in America.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

What made me really sad was the reaction of ATS members.

"Statisticians have no idea what they are doing, I know stats better than the experts"

"Blame women, its their fault, they are always trying to falsely accuse us"

edit on 7/1/13 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

I don't think anyone has said either of those things...

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Made up quotes to go with made up stats.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Actually there has been both victim blaming AND mistrust of the stats in this thread.

I never quoted anybody.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Then there are all the statutory "rapes" when a girl's parents report her 1 or 2 year older boyfriend for having sex with their daughter, even though it isn't rape, and he ends up as a registered sex offender for the rest of his life.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Now this is an area thats rather grey, now most men are quite nice and only join in for some fun as and when offered, I've never pushed it more than a 'you sure you don't want a leg over?' and if the answers no i roll over feeling a bit unhappy but that's its and i'm sure 99.9% of the population feel the same

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

I never quoted anybody.

Because nobody has said anything like that

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

And yet to see a graph with the victims being avenged... it would probably be all arrests. What ever happened to good old roadside justice when someone rapes another?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

YOU put those words in quotes. And I proved the stats are bunk. The group admits it ASSUMES and states it doesn't have proof of REAL numbers.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join