It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The saddest graph you'll see today

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I have to ask the question as to whose fault it is so many go unreported. And don't say the Police, because every station in existence has to take a report if someone comes in.

And don't say the shock because, you can still report to the Police after a day or two or week or two.

And don't say because it was family, because you can still go to the Police.

So whose fault is it so many go unreported.. NO one STOPS you reporting it except you yourself.

But why don't they report it?

The lack of response to reporting is another issue, but why 'don't' they report it and then blame everyone else for why they go unreported?
edit on 7-1-2013 by pacifier2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
I have to ask the question as to whose fault it is so many go unreported. And don't say the Police, because every station in existence has to take a report if someone comes in.

And don't say the shock because, you can still report to the Police after a day or two or week or two.

And don't say because it was family, because you can still go to the Police.

So whose fault is it so many go unreported.. NO one STOPS you reporting it except you yourself.

But why don't they report it?

It's pretty simple really; stigmatization and the knowledge that the police are going to accomplish # all anyway.

Also some people don't really like going over the time they got raped in detail to a man they've never met, except had the occassional dealing which usually results in a stupid #ing fine thereby proving how worthless the entire operation of law enforcement is?

The police are basically just postmen; delivering bills by day, sitting on their fat ass by night.

I've reported an assault before; and you know what the cops did?

Nothing.

edit on 7-1-2013 by thoughtfuldeliquent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
so..... who is bookkeeper for all of these unreported crimes? why are the men who stand trial but are not convicted presumed guilty? and why are the men who are accused but don't stand trial presumed guilty?

I see 8 guilty people, about 100 innocent people and about 50 imaginary people.
edit on 7-1-2013 by snusfanatic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

Rape causes a lot of shame, it may seem irrational but its an irrational response to an irrational act. It takes a lot of courage to tell someone what happened, especially if one finds a way to blame themselves. Was my skirt to short? Was i flirting too much? Did i lead him on?

You also need to realize that 2/3 of women will know their rapist. Theres always the strong possibility people could turn on you for accusing someone they know of such a thing. You convince yourself know one will believe you or claim you're just trying to get attention. Eventually, you convince yourself its better to let sleeping dogs lie.

Maybe it might be helpful to explain that not all rapes are violent (in the ery literal sense of the word). Many are easily hidden. Only the victim knows and sometimes, they think its better to keep it that way.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
i'd say there are quite a few unreported incidents of rape, but not as many as indicated by the graph.

i have met girls who claimed to have been raped, but it turned out they wanted the attention and drama for the emotional high, but i also know some who were legitimately raped, with 2/3 of them having reported it. obviously that can't be extrapolated to the whole, but when it's all said and done, i'd say there are just as many women who use men as men who use women and neither sex can argue from a position of moral superiority.

rape is more physically brutal, but i've seen a trend with girls playing a bunch of guys off each other because they enjoy guys fighting over them. i'm not sure there is any real difference.

if we broaden the definition of rape as gaining pleasure at another person's expense, then i'd say we're all guilty.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:14 AM
link   
There is one "sad" thing i see about this graph.
1. That is, if a man is accused and stands trial and is found "innocent" by a jury of his peers. He is somehow still "guilty". The graph clearly shows only 2 out of the 100s being "falsely accused" but the ones that stand trial and are innocent are not falsely accused for some reason.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I met an old man the other day that said not only do women belong at home, they also deserve what they get for dressing immodestly.
That was the tip of the iceberg of sexism and bigotry that followed for the next 15 minutes, but the fact is, that too many men are still raised to believe that women want to be raped.

At the same time, it happens so much, I almost believe that rape is normal. I don' t think it is right, but it certainly doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I agree also, that the line is blurry sometimes. Even once or twice I have had sex I've later regretted and known that if I was a different woman, a stupider woman, that I would be upset with the man cuz he could have somehow read my mind that I wasn't enjoying myself. Stupid women will later claim it was unconsensual because of this, and I've seen it happen before.

edit on 8-1-2013 by smilesmcgee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Don't see what the problem with that thinking....

^american

cool stereotype, how's your purse and your lack of teef?

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cybro

reply to post by Bixxi3

reply to post by MessOnTheFED!

The majority of responses to this are just sickening!!!!

Ive worked with womens refuges that offer counseling to victims of rape and many if not most do go unreported.

Im not sure if the graph represents America or the world, if it represents America it may be a bit exaggerated if it represents the world it is ridiculously downplayed.
I say exaggerated but not by much.

In many non western countries rape isnt reported due to either the stigma, police corruption, not being able to identify attackers or even in some cases the women themselves being charged with crimes.

In western countries there are many more sexual assualts than are reported.
Prostitutes working over a year can expect to be raped 3 times as a minimum, not just guys not paying but actually being raped, they generally arent reported due to the fact its so hard to get a conviction once its known they are sex workers.

Assualts against non pros that go unreported are also disgustingly high and are not reported mainly because the victim knows the perpetrator and is either scared or "unbelievably" doesnt want them to go to jail or get in trouble. Brothers, Fathers other family or family friends and employers are the main offenders.

Another HUGE factor of why so many are not reported is even when a report is initially wanted to be made the victims are warned that if it does go to a court their entire sexual history is going to be paraded before a room of strangers and become a matter of public record, can you imagine how embarrassing it would be not only to have everyone thinking of you as a victim and feeling sorry for you but to have everyone including your parents know how many men youve slept with, if youve had anal sex, 3somes etc etc
Many women when they find out this will be asked by the prosecution pull out and retract any charges.

Rape isnt just boogey men in alleys and by far the highest number of rapes are done by Boyfriends and Husbands. Doesnt matter if its a GF, Wife, colleague, family friend, or sickeningly family member if 1 party says no even halfway through, even if you only need 10 seconds to finish as soon as someone says no and you keep going your a rapist full stop!!!!!!!!

The figures are accurate or close enough that it makes no difference

EDIT: those using these figures as a justification for guns, sorry but thats just BS. Boogey men type rapists dont announce their intentions and by the time you know whats happening you have no chance to get a gun. In other cases where you know the attacker you normally dont have any reason to fear them.

The best defence is to learn close range self defence techniques and vulnerable points. Eyes, throat, groin

Im Male and not a feminist BTW
edit on 8/1/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:10 AM
link   
A girl I went to college with went to prison for falsely accusing two men of raping her. Linky

She was jailed for two years, but was out within 8 months. And knowing what a massive liar she is in general (she was always stirring the pot where she could), I don't think 8 months is long enough to learn her lesson. Just an 8 month long holiday at Her Majesty's leisure. Prisons in the UK are soft compared to the prisons in America.

I've posted this before, I think.

I don't know the ins and outs of the legal system, but why would so few rapists even go to trial? And why would even fewer actually be jailed?
I went to school with a guy who was a rapist, and he was sent down for it.
Naturally I don't know many rapists, and if I do, they're not in the habit of throwing the fact about.
edit on 8-1-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
A girl I went to college with went to prison for falsely accusing two men of raping her. Linky

I've posted this before, I think.

I don't know the ins and outs of the legal system, but why would so few rapists even go to trial? And why would even fewer actually be jailed?

Because statistics have a better impact on people when they are made up.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LewsTherinThelamon

This happens so often. Not to mention the sociopathic qualities I have seen in many underage girls. Many of them use sex as a weapon, they will purposefully seduce older men, then use their age as a means for blackmail and coercion. It is disgusting, and our culture breeds such nonsense.

For it be statutory rape doesnt the girl need to be under 16?

What are men over 18 doing sleeping with 14 and 15 year olds in the first place???

Sickening whether consensual or not

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   
This graph makes me very sad for a number of reasons:

1) People believe it even though the group that created it admitted that it is based off of dramatic assumptions

2) People barge in on some weird "Men Vs. Women" paradigm; I'm sorry, where exactly did it say that the victims were all women?

3) People get emotionally offended when the facts go against what they are led to believe by this nonsensical feminist-propagated fallacy.

4) People are still getting raped and this graph is doing absolutely nothing to help that fact or even outline the problem accurately.
edit on 8-1-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I believe that there are certainly a great many rapes that go unreported, but there is no real way to measure this.

On the other hand, that chart might actually be pretty accurate if you count the men who are raped that don't report it.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
1. That is, if a man is accused and stands trial and is found "innocent" by a jury of his peers. He is somehow still "guilty". The graph clearly shows only 2 out of the 100s being "falsely accused" but the ones that stand trial and are innocent are not falsely accused for some reason.

In the eyes of the femenists who put together the chart, the innocent ones are still guilty anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I believe that there are certainly a great many rapes that go unreported, but there is no real way to measure this.

On the other hand, that chart might actually be pretty accurate if you count the men who are raped that don't report it.

We might want to change the less-than-subtle generalization in the graph that paints all rapists as men as well.

Where are the icons in dresses?
edit on 8-1-2013 by LightOrange because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Looking through the references they give for the data, one of them is contained in this pdf file.

Putting Table 11 into a chart...

Accused: 466
Convicted: 62 %
Found Not Guilty: 34 %
(missing 4 percent of "other" outcome for such as deferred trials)

Edit - the report also assumes that half of all rapes are not reported, and that every single one of these without exeption are also guilty.

So... revised chart, using the studies own references...

edit on 8-1-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by Superhans

In the eyes of the femenists who put together the chart, the innocent ones are still guilty anyway.

Not feminist my brother, stupid people. Who would use material like this to pray on the ignorant.
I love feminists, i married one.
The truth about feminism and any other "ism" is that its all about doing what you choose to do. If a woman wants to work 50 hours a week or stay at home and raise kids, that is her choice.
Only the social engineers and propaganda whores will convince you otherwise.
Be true to your self if none else, brother.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Define rape, please, because I've had friends who've been accused of rape because some girl had buyer's remorse and they've paid the price for it.

The saying goes, "innocent until proven guilty," not, "guilty until proven innocent;" being accused of rape does not make one a rapist. Rape cases often fall apart because of a lack of evidence or the victim failing to get a rape test shortly after being raped. It often comes down to a game of "he said, she said," and that's not enough to properly convict someone on due to lack of hard evidence.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

I was agreeing with the statement you silly billy.

My purse is fine, what are teef?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join