It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The saddest graph you'll see today

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

The saddest graph you'll see today

www.washingtonpost.com

The above graphic, passed along by the Huffington Post‘s Laura Bassett, was put together by the Enliven Project using data from Department of Justice’s National Crime Victimization Survey and FBI reports. It drives home extremely well the fact that false rape accusations are exceedingly rare, despite what media reports might suggest. Almost as rare are cases when rapists actually go to jail.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-1-2013 by Spike Spiegle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, well this graph speaks volumes...

In an age where we have the best technology and forensics available to law enforcement less than 10% of those accused ever see trial.

Justice is truly blind, and the proof is right before our eyes...

Thoughts ATS?

SS

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   
And you believe this to be true?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by cybro

It's not a question of belief...

It's a fact.

SS

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sure it is, now keep drinking that feminist Kool-Aid.

+13 more 
link   
How do they know that there are that many rapes if they are not reported?

That sure looks like a lot.

I'm just curious as to the methodology on the numbers.

link   
www.rainn.org...

They say 54/100 rapes go unreported while your graph seems to suggest it's more like 90/100.

It seems we're at an impasse until someone develops a system to accurately measure the number of UNREPORTED rapes each year.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Oh also, Americans should love this one:

I'd rather 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent man suffer jail.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
This is more than a simple indictment of law enforcement and the judicial system;
It's a blanket condemnation of men in general and their attitudes towards women being "commodities" to be used for their pleasure.
I've never understood how any man could force a woman against her will.
It blows my mind that anyone would be so self-centered and brutal.

Thanks for one more reason to allow people to defend themselves via the 2nd amendment.
Ladies - you know where to aim, right?

edit on 7-1-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Not really sad at all if you ask me. One of the problems is what constitutes "rape" in each state.
If I go out to a bar and get really drunk with some girl before we sleep together. The next day when she looks at me and does not remember anything she could have grounds to claim that i am a rapist. Then in trial witnesses are called to say there was no rape going on- so i would not be jailed.
In some states a woman can willingly engage in sex with a man and then say "no" 1/2 way in and its "rape" at that point.
That graph is kind of misleading in that way, you get a group of people together and ask them how sex offenders should be punished and you will get an earful of some very grotesque torture ideas. But apparently when you get a group of 12 people together and present them with facts the outcome is a little different.

Edit to add:
Yes it really does happen
www.thesun.co.uk...
edit on 7-1-2013 by RandyBragg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Care to tell me how they came to this conclusion, since you're so sure it's 100% accurate?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Personally, I have been wondering if this isn't the price we pay for the media-driven sexualization of our culture.

How many of the rapes we hear of start as consentual heavy petting... and escalated to non-consentual sex... which is rape by any definition? How many are rapes against children, the disabled, and/or elderly (it happens) who cannot file a claim on their own? How many 'protected' family members are never accused by their own? How many wives are raped by their own husbands? - you know it must happen - but we are prepared to say that is a "right" of the husband? What about gay rapes? Does that not happen? Do they report it?

This is a deeply murky area to generalize about. It seems convoluted enough to make very apt distraction from the rape of nations, and peoples by their governments...

Rape is also a matter of great contention because initially the purveyors of Jurisprudence were largely misogynistic. So early on, this was not pursued as vigorously as it should have been... but then neither was usury.

Sadly, we seem averse to even consider rape - it always seems to devolve into some bizarre scrutiny of the victim, or some weird straw-grasping by those who support the accused.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Just noticed something, i had to scroll at the botom of the graph to see it.
It says that only 2 are falsely accused?
Wouldn't all the men who stood trial and were not found guilty be falsely accused?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

This is more than a simple indictment of law enforcement and the judicial system; It's a blanket condemnation of men in general and their attitudes towards women being "commodities" to be used for their pleasure. I've never understood how any man could force a woman against her will. It blows my mind that anyone would be so self-centered and brutal.
reply to post by Asktheanimals

This was my general thinking and point of view when making this thread, in short, agreed.

SS

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
What a ridiculous graph thankfully ATS has taught me not to believe everything i see.
glad im not the only one who didn't just react with emotion.

BTW not all men want to rape women. Im getting sick of the women who watch to much news and Dr. phil and just think everyone out there is trying to take advantage of them, and they just absolutely hate men.

edit on 7-1-2013 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This graph alone is why all Americans should always allowed to be armed, especially women.

After seeing this graph I think it is time to get my wife her concealed weapons permit.

I still can't believe how many women (assuming all women) get raped and don't report the crime.

edit on 7-1-2013 by knowledgedesired because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by RandyBragg

Remember, many cases are "settled" and thus do not get recorded or reported as convictions of the original charge.

Again, plea-bargaining enters the arena for the expedience of lawyers and to the detriment of justice.

link   

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle
reply to post by cybro

It's not a question of belief...

It's a fact.

SS

I despise rapist, but you can't say this grahpic is a fact.

There is no way to tell how many of the "reported" but didn't go to trial were falsely accused. And logically there is never a good way to determine how many were unreported, by definition they are unreported. Not to mention how many of the "unreported" would end up being "falsely accused".
edit on 7-1-2013 by xedocodex because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
It's a blanket condemnation of men in general and their attitudes towards women being "commodities" to be used for their pleasure.

Asktheanimals, your prejudice is showing. Everyone is just as awful as everyone else, your pet hate group is not worse than any other group.

If you want to sit here and generalise about men, I'll happily sit here and generalise about women. We could go on all night about how one group is bad, then counter with the opposite group and so on.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   

So all it takes to make you sad is to draw a bunch of stick people on some paper?

The logic of your linked "graph" is asenine. How can one put a number on "unreported" rapes? Seems foolish. I think I'll make a graph of raindrops that haven't fallen yet.

MOTF!
edit on 7-1-2013 by MessOnTheFED! because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join