It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we have a forum to respect lost members ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hi guys I just read and repied to This thread
I was just wondering. Is there place on ATS to give our online respects to members that pass ?
No flags or stars just a silent thread in remembrance ?
edit on 7-1-2013 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

how would we know when they are lost ?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

I would hope someone would tell us. A loved one like my wife that would let you know. That sounded arrogant. It wasn't meant to.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
Hi guys I just read and repied to This thread
I was just wondering. Is there place on ATS to give our online respects to members that pass ?
No flags or stars just a silent thread in remembrance ?

I think jiggerj passed on, he hasnt replied back after his initial post

RIP Jigger

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

If so my thread is all the more relevant.
If not and he's having a sleep you'll have great laugh later.
Time zones people

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

lol, I wasnt serious... it was a poor attempt at morbid humor

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I think this is a wonderful idea.

We've lost several members, like RiverGoddess. It would be nice to have a remembrance thread.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

sorry i got it wrong i thought you was on about the members of ATS that are lost or could be lost
you are, tonight i'm being a thickhead
edit on 7-1-2013 by darknewt because: slightly dull tonight

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

You'll forgive me if I fail to see the humour.
However a priest a rabbi and a *fill in the blank* walk into a bar..................
seriously ........... we live too many dollars apart. But wouldn't it be a smack in the face for all those that ridiculed to realise they should have listened ?

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Check his recent replies. Unless they're made by someone else, he's surely alive.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I don't want to be patronising
Just be able to be grateful and give a cyber nod to a respected member and a thanks.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think it's an outstanding idea ... but... Not as a direct member initiated thing. I mean, not where anyone can, by their own action and nothing else, go posting a memorial to someone we'd all know as the announcement anyone first sees.

It's just my opinion here, but I'd be 100% for this if there were a fairly simple but logical process set up for submission to create a thread in such a forum running something like the Obits in a newspaper. A little paperwork is asked for ... not much.. but enough to keep cranks and general idiots from destroying what needs to be kept solemn for it's purpose.

Thats my take.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Maybe it would have to go through a mod before posting? I agree, there could be potential for trolling.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Troll away
This is for the rest of us

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It would be very uneven. We suffer the illusion that we are a "community," but in fact we are a bunch of people in our basements and underwear who never meet each other in the flesh (fortunately.) Maybe you all know other ATS members intimately enough that you would be aware of their passing. I certainly don't.

The fact is only 15% of ATS members have been on ATS in the last year. Assuming most people who have not logged in in a year are gone for good, this means 85% of the membership signs up, makes a few posts, and moves on.

Some more stats you may be interested in: Not quite 13% of the total membership have made more than 20 posts. 7% of the membership has posted from 20-100 posts. 3.9% of the membership has posted 100-500 posts, so at least they are showing some activity, but from here on out it diminishes rapidly. .9% (that’s "point 9") less than 1%) have posted between 500-1000 posts, and the same percentage has posted between 1,000 and 5,000 posts. From 5,000 to 10,000 posts is .08% (not quite a hundredth of a percent) and over 10,000 is .04% (not quite a half of a hundredth of a percent) Interestingly, members with over 10,000 posts have created over 13% of all posts on the site.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Maybe it would have to go through a mod before posting? I agree, there could be potential for trolling.

Yeah, that's how I'd say it'd have to be done or it would get inappropriate, IMO. It would only take once or twice for a member to come on and find themselves ...eulogized.. to end what I think it a very good idea.

It's not without precedent here already. If one looks, there are a few forums buried in the list there that are absolutely closed to just anyone coming in and posting for very solid reasons based around the forum's purpose. Only a few....but then, this would also be single purpose and very specific. It could work, if handled right.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

No mods
No flags
No stars
Just respect and a new way of thinking

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I am just some cranky old logger keying you from a cozy school bus parked on some island.......
I doubt anyone will miss my passing, but, at least id like my ATS friends and enemies to know im gone when the tap comes on my shoulder to shuffle off this mortal coil....
There are people i wonder about that i used to star and flag, as well as anticipate their comments.....their avatars i no longer see....
Boondock Saint is one i miss from time to time....there are a few others....
Sure it would be good to know whos still hangin in, and whos now lost to our collective mind.melt
If anyone can know for sure this is the fate of any member, id like to see that members name posted somewhere, and
I am sure most of them would appreciate this too.....
S&F you have my vote.....

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
There have been several announcements by the site owners in my time here, of members who have passed. Some of the members develop strong friendships here and have made the occasional announcement. Usually a eulogy type thread is started so people can express themselves. I like the idea you propose OP. Maybe like an IN MEMORIAL forum.
edit on 7-1-2013 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join