It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Photo of black iceberg goes viral on Reddit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+29 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Photo of black iceberg goes viral on Reddit

www.digitaljournal.com...

Photo of a black iceberg is causing a lot of fascination after it was posted to Reddit. The iceberg stands in sharp contrast to another whitish iceberg in the photo.
MSN Now explains that dark colored icebergs are formed by a higher density of bubble-free ice with a greater amount of rock detritus from the base of the parent glacier. Reddit user Bama011, explains that dark colored icebergs may be green, brown, black or a combination of the colors.

The Reddit user explains:
These icebergs have usually rolled over, exposing basal ice, or have emerged from below water level. The various coloration are caused by differences in density, air-bubble content and impurities... dark layers indicate the presence of rock materials derived from the base of the parent glacier. Occasionally, rocks may be found on the original upper surface of the iceberg. As the iceberg melts, these materials precipitate into marine or lake sediments.

Other links:
www.travelerstoday.com... y.htm
myfox8.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I thought this was pretty cool to see. We have all seen the typical snow white icebergs out there....but a black one that is something special!

Another amazing feature of Mother Nature

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Pretty cool.

I have never seen nor heard of a black ice berg. If ice bergs were all black I think it would make the arctic area creepy vs calming. Well that is how I'd see it anyway lol

Gotta love mother nature!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

very cool indeed. It's interesting to think that this iceberg will take rocks and sediments from one part of the world and deposit them in another. Great find S&F

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

It reminded me of this as soon as I saw it:

It must be the absence of air along with the rocks and such that they mentioned. (for the iceberg anyways.)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Star for you because hockey on open nature black ice rules

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Btw, there is also another article which touches on this topic of black iceberg HERE but in addition to the black iceberg photo, they included an unusually blue looking iceberg as well (see below):

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Yeah, that brings back memories. I used to live across the bay where that firefighter shooting took place in Webster, NY, and that bay would freeze over every winter and look like that. I'd skate all the way across and back, at least a mile and a half round trip. Then we'd get the snowmobiles out and run them wide open. Good times.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Btw, there is also another article which touches on this topic of black iceberg HERE but in addition to the black iceberg photo, they included an unusually blue looking iceberg as well (see below):

That's not an iceberg, that's a Heisenberg.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Also, there was another cool picture posted on Reddit by an iceberg washing ashore off the coast of Alaska.

Link found HERE

Just another insight into the world of icebergs and the many flavours that are out there

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I wonder if the Bush's tested it for oil first!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
just dont eat the yellow one's

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

I thought about that idea too...but that represents more of an emerald crystal than an iceberg

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It's really true what they say, you learn something new every day. I have never heard of different colored ice burgs before. I especially like the blue ones. Thanks!!!!!

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I don't think a black ice cube would look good in my seven seven.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
Also, there was another cool picture posted on Reddit by an iceberg washing ashore off the coast of Alaska.

Link found HERE

Just another insight into the world of icebergs and the many flavours that are out there

This is appropriate for mixed drinks. Anyone want to go sit on it with a bottle of booze and some mix?

This particular iceberg would probably go good with good scotch on the rocks

edit on 5-1-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

You are most right...this call for a little Iceberg Vodka and Seven:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join