I need a new hobby

page: 3
2
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
It might be ridiculous but I love scale model building. At first it was WWII airplanes and then migrated towards sci-fi stuff. I'm actually looking to get back I to it myself, there are some awesome boutique companies making some awesome models now. I enjoy the attention to detail required and my artistic side loves the process of airbrushing and weathering. Good luck, dude.


I have an N-scale train collection that I built up when I was in my teens and 20s. All Kato engines and high-end stuff. One of these days when I am too old to do much else, I'll start building layouts. Some of that stuff might be valuable today - it's never been run.

I was into models as a kid - mostly WW2 aircraft and armor. I built dioramas and the whole deal.



edit on 5-1-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)




posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kromaion
 


Why not become a paranormal investigator get some cameras and stuff hang out at creepy places and post your findings here on ATS. Maybe tour round meet up with other members in the area you're investigating and do something like a monthly report from the crypt with a believer and a skeptic,

Maybe you could generate a little income from your excursions to pay for trips further afield etc, one thing is lacking on ATS IMHO is people going out with a camera and recording stuff without a bias point of view.



posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kromaion
 


Yes you can get a hobby,Skyrim, it's called Skyrim.You may lose your close family and friends but it's #ing worth it.
Also you may not think of a dog or cat as a hobby because they are a responsibility first and foremost but the time spent with them playing and bonding is precious, I have three cats and an adopted stray dog and they absolutely enrich my life, I can't imagine my life not pulling hair from my mouth,being pushed from my pillow while I sleep, woken at 5 a.m and having holes in my socks.I love them.
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)I love them.edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
How about wood carving? My friend's father makes funny faces out of small pieces of wood. Easy! He uses only one special knife and wears a leather glove on the hand holding the wood so he doesn't cut himself. He's made hundreds and sells them at a local store and also gives them away. You could go even further and buy a drummel kit or a complete wood carving kit. Also, woodburning is a lot of fun. Google it. Slabs of wood and wood burners can be found at any craft shop or you can order online. Think big - make your own aspen log bed! Woodburn designs in it. Make rustic furniture and woodburn designs in them. There's how-to books for everything.

If this doesn't seem up your alley, take a stroll through the hardware store and get some ideas.

Good luck and I hope you find something that makes you really happy!



posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
You don't need a hobby, you need a PURPOSE...

MAKE EVERY MOMENT MATTER, DON'T LET LIFE PASS YOU BY.

Don't WASTE your life.

Connect with your PURPOSE...



WHO are you?



posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I have so many hobbies that I'm never bored, but just deciding which to do at a given time. I garden, so right now I'm planning how to enlarge the garden for this spring. I also cook almost all our meals, and I can and dehydrate the garden surplus so I plan meals around that at this time of year.
I also crochet, basic hats and scarves but also action guts zombie dolls. It's not all girlie.
I refinish and upholster furniture.
I sew. I make jewlery.
I write. Working on a novel now.
I make body lotion, and hope to tackle soap soon.
I like to take bike rides and walks when it's warmer.
Yoga via on-demand.
I plan to make a hooked rug this winter, and finish a quilt from last year.
Right now I'm fascinated by building from trash. I'm planning a greenhouse built with pallets, PVC, greenhouse plastic of course, with gutters made from used water bottles going into a water catchment and a rocket stove for warmth.
Basically, I suggest you create. Create anything that brings you joy. What do you loose track of time doing? Hopefully something productive

It'll not just fill the time, but give a great sense of accomplishment.



posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I also need hobbies and have accumulated many. I just wanted to mention wine making. Making wine is cheap and doesn't take a lot of your energy. I just got into it and regret not discovering the joy of it years ago. Of course cheese making is my next venture but I have to wait on my goats



posted on Jan, 6 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion
 


Here's a list you may be potentially interested in...

~ Video game emulators online - Completely free, downloadable games from virtually any video game system ever made, even original NES. You can use your keyboard as a controller (for free, although it's irritating) or you could buy a universal controller that plugs into your computer's USB port.


~ Geocaching - You search for random items hidden by people in your own community, state, or anywhere else in the world. All you need is a GPS device.

~ Online poker (for free or real money) - You can invest just a little bit if you don't want to risk much, and slowly bank up your bank roll little by little over time, for a nice time-consuming hobby.

~ Sell stuff on e-bay - someone I know sells model trains and accessories. They purchase trains and accessories and sell them at a marked-up price. It's hard to lose money doing this if you know what you are doing, unless your items just flat out don't sell. Start small. It's also time consuming because you'll need to be packing up boxes, taping them, and shipping them out in time.

~ Craft wooden items with a mini-saw and file - (like signs and stuff like that)...Maybe sell them when you are done if you want, or give to friends or coworkers.

~ Ghost Hunting - You can pick up a digital voice recorder from Walmart for 20 bucks. Get a digital camera too if you want. Gather friends or find people online if you don't have friends who are interested. You can even ask to become a member of an actual ghost hunting group, where you can have access to all their expensive equipment without having to invest your own money.

~ Research topics online. Dig yourself a nice deep rabbit hole and then dig some more rabbit holes from that. Knowledge is power.

~ Create a YouTube channel and make your own videos - They can be of any topic. You can even just be goofy and completely random to make people laugh.

~ Any form of artwork even if you have no artistic talent - You can get some sharpies and draw intricate, elaborate designs and patterns that could take days.


~ Snorkeling/diving- You can do this by yourself. It's fun and interesting to explore underwater, it's like a new world just for you.

~ Gold panning - You can buy inexpensive gold pans online. Research your city or surrounding cities to see if there is a chance a stream or something nearby has a history of gold. Learn how to do it online.


~ Plant indoor flowers or other various plants - you'll feel a sense of achievement if they don't die right away
and if they do, you'll be challenged to do better with your next batch.

~ People watching

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read all of the previous posts until now. I repeated some hobbies others mentioned.


83



edit on 6-1-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)
edit on 6-1-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ganjoa
Okay I've read about exercise, various activities that require you to go somewhere, lack of musical ability and your diet.
Based on what I've seen in this thread thus far, my suggestion is for you to become a "foodie" - learn to cook and eat healthier - you still have to go out and buy groceries but everyone has to eat.

ganjoa
edit on 5-1-2013 by ganjoa because: spelling


Hey, thanks for the answer, and yes I absolutely agree with that as I am already a "foodie" actually, but it doesn't "eat" my time as much as I intended for a hobby - yes, I have a lot of dull free time and I wanted to almost get "addicted" to something; or perhaps I might consider getting a second job? lol
edit on 7-1-2013 by kromaion because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiendchikx138
reply to post by kromaion
 

There is always learning to cook, refurbishing used furniture, and starting a collection of some type. All are fairly inexpensive, and can be very relaxing.
When I step into my kitchen, I get into a whole other zone. It's very theraputic, almost as if you are creating an edible masterpiece


Perhaps you could go to the local library and browse the "hobbies" section and see if you can get some ideas from there?


I actually love this idea; I might go on with that. By doing that I can buy cheap stuff, refurbish them and maybe resell them at a higher price. It is time consuming, it is rewarding and it looks like a lot of fun as well.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonegurkha
You could try photography. That would get you out and about when you want a bit of exercise,and if you master the art you can make sone money selling photos.

You could also raise tropical fish.This is the second biggest hobby worldwide after photography. I've been doing both for many years and If you choose the species you keep carefully you can make some money at it.



I might consider photography for sure as I have many friends that already work with that and they could teach me some stuff, hints etc. Tropical fish sounds cool and very interesting, how does that work exactly? I mean, is too expensive to start? Is it really hard to get the hang of it?



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
How about Origami? You mentioned being an artist already, there are some incredibly intricate and involved pieces of art that are nothing more than folded paper.

Sculpting would also be fun for you I think. Something tactile.

If you want to be more involved with people, think about helping or starting some sort of art project in your community with kids.......


I've tried origami already, ok, maybe I didn't try long enough, but as far as I went I found myself to pretty much suck at it lol. Sculpting is cool, I've thought about that, but I'm just afraid I guess, I don't trust my sculpting skill too much as I do in 3D. You see, life doesn't have ctrl+z yet.


The community stuff, that is really cool, I've been considering this for a while already and maybe this is the right time to start, you know, since the world didn't end and all.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
Remote Control anything..I have done r.c. cars and boats and planes..

now i am doing r.c. helicopters..

talk about some real fun..oh yea!

never bored with those...

and a good learning experience also....


Is there any way I could compete by doing that? I mean, are there competitions with these? I really like competing and this would be a perfect match for me since I love cars/planes and stuff.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Galadriel
When I was younger, I took kaju kenpo karate at a local center, and absolutely fell in love with it. I pursued it for years - despite being a single mom, dating, going to a full-time job, and going to weekend college. Once you learn the basics, you can practice everyday at home - and trust me, once "addicted" - you look forward to the workout!

I also eventually joined a small local "guys" gym (even though some of the guys weren't too happy to see a woman in their midst)--not a fancy expensive health club, and worked out on the machines and did some light weights to tone. Fell in love with working out - and it was a great stress reliever after work.

My free time these days is spent on reading - either about spiritual growth or about ideas for implementing micro business ideas to earn money. (Goal is to someday figure out how to not be in the corporate world!) I also found myself writing a memoir this past summer - did it in 2 months and placed in a national (and legit) writing contest (top 30). Alas, did not win the top prize


My son, who is bored ALL THE TIME has joined a local community center and works out now -- and it really has changed him. He's happier, calmer, and is really getting fit. If you can't afford a local gym, maybe one of those dvd sets like Insanity or something? Once you get moving, you really get energy and passion for other things.

Photography is cool, so is any form of artwork (pen and ink is challenging), volunteering at a local animal shelter (walk dogs, work with shy cats, feed, etc.), volunteer with something that is meaningful to you, create a charity or nonprofit yourself for something that moves you, join a hiking club, rowing or sailing crew...yoga, tai chi, fencing. If you don't have fix-it skills and would like them, you can learn basic repairs, advanced painting techniques, landscaping, etc. that would help you in the future.

One last thought. If you aren't sure what to do, or what you'd like, why not make your "hobby" to explore 50 different things this year -- try it, take a local class, get a book about it, research it online, try to hook up with others who are doing it -- give a timeframe -- and if it doesn't click for you, then go on to the next thing on your list! Good luck!


Hey, thanks for the cautious and elaborate answer, there are many useful suggestions you made; the one I like the most is about making it a hobby to explore other stuff until I find something I fall love with. Sounds really smart and I think I'll really start doing that.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
reply to post by kromaion
 


As you work with 3D and Illustration I would say you are pretty arty, so how about doing crafts. There are many to choose from, jewellery making, candle making, chess set making, silk painting (could be pictures or wearables) is rather therapeutic, painting on canvas, painting on glass (fancy wine glasses make really nice presents too). Also you could have a go at tattooing, very arty and good money in it too. How about making stop motion animations, as you almost certainly already have the computer skills to edit the pictures and turn them into a movie.

Hope you find something fun


Doing crafts might be very interesting; I doubt though, that I would have the ability for doing it right, but certainly I'll give it a try, maybe watch some videos about it, tutorials and some reading. Thanks.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by unb3k44n7
reply to post by kromaion
 


Here's a list you may be potentially interested in...

~ Video game emulators online - Completely free, downloadable games from virtually any video game system ever made, even original NES. You can use your keyboard as a controller (for free, although it's irritating) or you could buy a universal controller that plugs into your computer's USB port.


~ Geocaching - You search for random items hidden by people in your own community, state, or anywhere else in the world. All you need is a GPS device.

~ Online poker (for free or real money) - You can invest just a little bit if you don't want to risk much, and slowly bank up your bank roll little by little over time, for a nice time-consuming hobby.

~ Sell stuff on e-bay - someone I know sells model trains and accessories. They purchase trains and accessories and sell them at a marked-up price. It's hard to lose money doing this if you know what you are doing, unless your items just flat out don't sell. Start small. It's also time consuming because you'll need to be packing up boxes, taping them, and shipping them out in time.

~ Craft wooden items with a mini-saw and file - (like signs and stuff like that)...Maybe sell them when you are done if you want, or give to friends or coworkers.

~ Ghost Hunting - You can pick up a digital voice recorder from Walmart for 20 bucks. Get a digital camera too if you want. Gather friends or find people online if you don't have friends who are interested. You can even ask to become a member of an actual ghost hunting group, where you can have access to all their expensive equipment without having to invest your own money.

~ Research topics online. Dig yourself a nice deep rabbit hole and then dig some more rabbit holes from that. Knowledge is power.

~ Create a YouTube channel and make your own videos - They can be of any topic. You can even just be goofy and completely random to make people laugh.

~ Any form of artwork even if you have no artistic talent - You can get some sharpies and draw intricate, elaborate designs and patterns that could take days.


~ Snorkeling/diving- You can do this by yourself. It's fun and interesting to explore underwater, it's like a new world just for you.

~ Gold panning - You can buy inexpensive gold pans online. Research your city or surrounding cities to see if there is a chance a stream or something nearby has a history of gold. Learn how to do it online.


~ Plant indoor flowers or other various plants - you'll feel a sense of achievement if they don't die right away
and if they do, you'll be challenged to do better with your next batch.

~ People watching

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read all of the previous posts until now. I repeated some hobbies others mentioned.


83



edit on 6-1-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)
edit on 6-1-2013 by unb3k44n7 because: (no reason given)


Hello, thanks for your time and suggestions! I've tried a few of them already, some I haven't, I'll take a closer look at some of what you listed, maybe watch some videos about them and get more informed.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murgatroid
You don't need a hobby, you need a PURPOSE...

MAKE EVERY MOMENT MATTER, DON'T LET LIFE PASS YOU BY.

Don't WASTE your life.

Connect with your PURPOSE...



WHO are you?



Really cool stuff you posted and loved Francis Chan, I didn't know him, so thanks for sharing.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion
 


There was a great TV series on The Learning Channel about 18 years ago (omg is it that long??? woot!?) and it was about a 30 min or 1 hour programme where each week Jenny Hull would visit a craft worker and they would explain what they make and show how to do it. Was a fabby porgramme and is where I learned how to do silk painting (which was a hobby and became a business for a few years).

Don't know if it is possible to find this on the internet to watch now but I am sure there must be things on youtube.
Have you seen t-shirt weaving where you re-vamp old t-shirts by slicing them and making them look cool. I have done this and it looks great!
Youtube is your friend, just search 'how to' and you get lots of interesting things coming up.



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by kromaion
 


You got some really good replies I thought. Another I thought of, is you could join the team on here and make avatars for the members
My sig, will take you there.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know will ya?



posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by adnachiel21
reply to post by kromaion
 


Yes you can get a hobby,Skyrim, it's called Skyrim.You may lose your close family and friends but it's #ing worth it.
Also you may not think of a dog or cat as a hobby because they are a responsibility first and foremost but the time spent with them playing and bonding is precious, I have three cats and an adopted stray dog and they absolutely enrich my life, I can't imagine my life not pulling hair from my mouth,being pushed from my pillow while I sleep, woken at 5 a.m and having holes in my socks.I love them.
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)I love them.edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)
edit on 5-1-2013 by adnachiel21 because: (no reason given)


hahaha... Believe me I know the feeling. I've been a video games addicted since ever lol. I really wanna try to avoid this happening again.





new topics
top topics
 
2
<< 1  2    4 >>

log in

join