I need a new hobby

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by kromaion

You got some really good replies I thought. Another I thought of, is you could join the team on here and make avatars for the members
My sig, will take you there.

Whatever you decide to do, let us know will ya?

Hey, thanks!

Well, I really didn't know you could do that, make avatars for other users. I mean, not legally, but I thought it was kind of... simple enough? lol Anyway if someone needs help I can do it for sure. And about the hobby stuff, I decided that I will start with crafting, trying to build some easy/simple furniture and then going up the ladder bit by bit.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by kromaion

Originally posted by lonegurkha
You could try photography. That would get you out and about when you want a bit of exercise,and if you master the art you can make sone money selling photos.

You could also raise tropical fish.This is the second biggest hobby worldwide after photography. I've been doing both for many years and If you choose the species you keep carefully you can make some money at it.

I might consider photography for sure as I have many friends that already work with that and they could teach me some stuff, hints etc. Tropical fish sounds cool and very interesting, how does that work exactly? I mean, is too expensive to start? Is it really hard to get the hang of it?

Tropical fish are very easy to get started with if you have a good source for the fish and a place like a pet store for the selling of the fish. I'd be happy to help with advice to get you started.Don't know what prices for equipment or stock are in your area. However there are plenty of online sites for the purchase of equipment.

I have been breeding for a very long time,started when I was 11 years old and I'm still doing it at 58. Have 6 tanks going right now and have about 10 spawns growing toward sale size.I breed ciclids from lake tanganyika in africa. Also have some from lake Malawi ,a lake in the same area of africa. Chosing a species that is easy to breed given the water chemistry in your area is the key to making a little money at it.As it happens, the water chemistry in my area is perfect for the africans, so breeding is simple.Provide the right conditions and the fish take care of the rest.Now that said I make enough to support my hobby but I'm not getting rich at it.

The fish I breed are very social and watching the social interaction between them is interesting. The fish from Malawi are maternal mouth brooders, meaning the females brood the babies in their mouth. They hold them for about 3 or 4 weeks and don't eat while they have a brood.They are great parents and therefore easy to breed.The biggest problem with them is that if they don't have enough hiding places in the tank they will have more aggression toward each other. It's usually best to keep one species to a tank as some species are more aggressive than others.

The fish I have from Tanganyika are called shell dwellers. they are quite small so you can breed them in a small tank as they don't need alot of space. these guys are extremely social and the older siblings will help the parents raise and protect any following broods.Just give them some shells with round openings and watch them go. They usually go for good money and are easy to breed with proper conditions.

Feel free to u2u me if you would like to discuss the hobby. I'd be happy to help.

posted on Jan, 7 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

try Twitter!)))

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
So wine making was a bust lolol. Okay here's another cool hobby for ya then. How about a fish tank? I love fish. I love them so much that I made an aquaponic. Maybe a small scale aquaponic as a hobby? But be careful, it can turn into a big venture rapidly

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

Well hey! We have something in common! I am curious. Have you ever raised crayfish by chance? Ive raised tilapia but ... well tilapia has an awful texture.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Can't say that I have , but I understand that they are not hard to breed. A guy in my old tropical fish club raised them.He tried to make money on the blue ones found in petshops. Lost touch with him a few years back. Think he made some money on them as they were in all the petshops around here before he moved out of the area.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Before anyone comes up with things such "sitting indoors/outdoors, reading/writing or watching TV" I'd like to say I'm looking for a different kind of hobby, that is unique and not too expensive. It can be time consuming, I don't mind. I'm afraid I'll end up turning back to drinking more if I don't find a hobby soon.

Since you're an avid video gamer and MTG fan, you might consider taking up game programming.

I've been programming since back in the days of QBasic.
There are some free applications you can use for development.

The one I'm currently using is a free version of an editor called DarkBASIC

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Have you ever thought of photography? You can buy a good camera for dirt cheap anymore. Take your camera with you everywhere you go...I do, you would be surprised at some of the pics that you can get. I used to say "I wished that I had a camera and I would have taken a picture". Now, I carry it with me everywhere I go. I have taken pics of some of the stupidest things, but the pics look good after I put them on my pc, lol.

posted on Jan, 8 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have just started a new hobby and I am loving it. Snooker, its great and you need to constantly practice to be good so its something to keep you occupied.

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join