It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

re Cooling of relations between U.S and U.K members

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Revolution9

I can't really agree that your point is relevant, Please and Thank You is normally siad in return of something that has just been done for you or is indeed going to be done for you, in otherwords it makes it that little bit more sincere although I agree that not in every case. Whereas a brief flirtation of have a nice day when you leave a premises in America, I doubt that the person saying it in many if not most cases has a single ounce of care of how your day goes when you leave the store. If you don't care then why say it? Thats all I am saying.

Bless your little heart! Well if you do some travelling in Asia and the east you will know that they rip us English for it. Just like we rip the U.S for "Have a nice day".

Honestly, Americans are not shallow a tall. They are a very complex and sensitive people. I am sure of that.

I know it bothers some people in England, but I see it differently.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9
reply to post by MaMaa

Yes Dear J! Me, too. It is very important to do that.

I am trying very hard now. I think we need to remember that real people are behind these screens and keyboards. We are expressing ourselves with earnestness and sincerity.

Thanks for making me feel better. You all surely have. I wil take a back seat for a few minutes now. Wearing myself out with typing. I will keep reading and will reply just shortly.

You all really cheered me up. I don't feel like a leper anymore.

I promise you that I really value you guys. If you did but know!

I'm glad we could cheer you up!! No need to be feeling like a leper, there is still too much fun left to have on this little planet for that! I figure that despite the few British folks that I had a very hard time liking and getting to know that they are probably not a good representation of everyone else. I'm bound and determined to be more open minded and understanding of people who are different than myself. I would love to go visit the UK someday, just to dispel some of my own ideas. I'm ready to think and know new things about people and cultures don't know.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Wow! Very beautiful words there.

Dear Advantage. If you only knew how many tears I have cried for The Native American People. If you only knew the influence you have had on me. The great Shaman "Fool's Crow", books like "Touch The Earth" and Dee Brown's huge book about the atrocities are just some of the work carved deeply upon my soul. I have a huge Wolf tattoo on my chest in memory of all the fallen warriors of your people.

When I read Dee Brown's history of all that happened I just kept crying every day for a good week. So many tears.

I have supported Survival International for many years who speak up for Indigenous people.

I am really deeply honoured to have you write here on my little thread.

For the modern white American settlers I have just as much respect. You know we did not do all that. Our generation can resolve the past if we are prepared to forgive.

A lot of my family on one side died before I was born and are forever unknown to me. I am half Jewish and they were wiped out and dispersed back in WW11.

Guess who came to the rescue back then? It was the U.S soldiers. Since the U.S and Israel have become inseperable allies. Wonderful I say and I respect it hugely.

I will keep up with what you write here. I just wish I had a real Native American friend! I'd be blessed wouldn't I! You know it!

Ahh see, many of us dont give a damn about the past and we are Americans.. that just happen to be native americans.
TO be honest there is a large movement for reparations and all of this whining and such, but when you think about it.. and people SHOULD.. YOU or any American/Brit/Spanish/Catholic owe ME nothing. 1492 was a long time ago.. its 2013 and I have decided to let my ancestors fight it out. Im busy living my life. If we really thought about what our elders taught respective to each tribes belief.... you cant take away what we didnt own in the first place! If youre only borrowing a little earth during your lifetime and dont consider ownership.. who are we to ask for special concession and reparations.. and apologies??
Hell, Im married to a white guy and when I spend too much and he complains.. I claim its reparations ( HEHE!), but in reality, no one needs to feel bad about anything their ancestors did. Long story.. my dad was a huge anti BIA and Federal hater. I wasnt even allowed to take tribal scholarships for college. SO the whole desire for an apology was burnt from my mind long ago. LOL! And dont be honoured... though my ego loves it.. in reality we are all just folks much alike one another feeling our way in the dark and trying to figure things out.

AHAH! I did genealogy way back when and I bet I can help you with your lost Jewish side if you are interested... and with a little luck. The LDS being obnoxious and baptising the dead.. jews too.. and keeping the genealogical records made it so much easier for us to make some connections in family lines. I can send you some links and engines to search the LDS archives if youre interested. Family connections are so important.

Oh yeah, and Ill be your friend. It being ME, Im unsure how blessed youll be, but you have a new friend.

Thank you. I am so pleased at your response here. I am so glad I started this little thread. You have all taught me so much with these few posts. That is what I wanted from this thread. Already, my expectations have been surpassed.

If you do get any spare time please do send me a link or two. That would be great.

Like you, I feel that way about the past. I really like German people a lot. They are a very strong and innovative lot.

You have a very healthy attitude. I am so happy to read about how you feel as a modern "Human Being".

Just know it that your people are very well respected the world over (as you know from your U.K experience).

Peace always to you and your Family!

Thank YOU!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by tovenar

I find the American culture of "have a nice day" and "how are you" at every turn to be sickening,.......

.... that is how your society programmes you to do so. In other words it just makes you all seem false. I'd much rather like to know where I stand with an honest approach, but like I said that is all down to our differences in culture, the Brits are GREAT moaners so.........

I grew up in the Southern U.S. Many Yankees (Americans who play ice-hockey) agree with your viewpoint precisely.

The tone of "have a nice day" is more genuine than you might give credit for being. I know that's hard to believe.

Refusal to greet each other that way (in the Ole South), is usually an indication that someone has murder on his mind. Seriously. When people won't play their assigned social roles, it is a signal that their hostility is more powerful than their manners, and you may be in for a difficult encounter with the locals.

I believe the pleasantries are a tradition that comes from rural and isolated areas, where you might not see your neighbors for weeks at a time, but you want to show that you aren't angry with them. Urban life is basically anonymous, while rural living means that you already have some connection to everyone you encounter, even if you cannot name the connection at first. So the pleasantries signal that you are not angry with the other person, you aren't here to sue them or move the boundary marker between your respective properties, etc.

From the South, I can assure you. When we tell ya to "have a good un," or call you "honey" or "sugar," we mean it. Truly.

Now, if we tell you "bless your heart," that negates everything previously said. It's how we say nasty things about others. "Poor Sally, you know she drinks all day long and she's doing drugs, too. I even heard she got arrested! Bless her little heart..."

This reminded me of a friend of mine. He moved here from Mississippi, formerly from Florida. He used to say "aww Bless your heart" a lot! Me and my best friend (also a Texan) had to sit him down and explain that saying that was actually not a compliment, but a total diss. It's how southerners diss someone without actually saying what they are thinking! LOL

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Thank you. I am so pleased at your response here. I am so glad I started this little thread. You have all taught me so much with these few posts. That is what I wanted from this thread. Already, my expectations have been surpassed.

If you do get any spare time please do send me a link or two. That would be great.

Like you, I feel that way about the past. I really like German people a lot. They are a very strong and innovative lot.

You have a very healthy attitude. I am so happy to read about how you feel as a modern "Human Being".

Just know it that your people are very well respected the world over (as you know from your U.K experience).

Thank YOU!

Speaking of Germans.. I'd love to go to Germany! My hubby's family is German, although I don't really know anything at all about Germans. My four boys want to visit Germany so I am trying to save up enough money to take everyone there before my oldest graduates high school.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

Thank YOU!

Speaking of Germans.. I'd love to go to Germany! My hubby's family is German, although I don't really know anything at all about Germans. My four boys want to visit Germany so I am trying to save up enough money to take everyone there before my oldest graduates high school.
[/quote

That would be a very good thing to do. I have never been there. Would be great for your Hubby and your Boys.

My Grandma was from there and my Dad. She, my Dad and his brother were the only members of that side of my family to make it to the UK from what I can gather. Unfortunately, I do not know my Dad and my Grandma Frieda died before I could ever know her.

From all my deep study of what happened back then I believe it was politics that caused the Holocaust there and not the will of the Germans as a people. I am sure of that.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Well now you can see Dear Readers when you read this little thread!

Now you can see why I have so much respect, care and affection for the U.S.

These very wonderful people live there!

I feel well comforted with what I have read here.

Also, note how well we can interact together if we give just a little of our patience and bite our tongues a little!

I am gonna try so hard with EVERYONE here on ATS and obviously in the real world, too. I am going to do some travelling this year. I feel inspired now. It's worth it!
edit on 3-1-2013 by Revolution9 because: spelling.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Why is it when I open this thread cheesy love songs start playing in my head

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Why is it when I open this thread cheesy love songs start playing in my head

It's a bit of American sentimentality I guess. You naughty boy!

I just needed to feel a bit of togetherness. If you knew my circumstances you would not begrudge me this little moment.

You're cool and thanks for contributing. I don't want too easy a ride!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by forgetmenot
You can always tune out that imported "culture".

How?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
About 98% of my encounters on the Internet with users from the UK are exclusively based on the subject of American accents and the way we mangled "their" words up. That sounds like a silly reason to build up a negative view of their entire nationality over, but running into the same ill-humored teasing over and over again grates on the mind.

I'm actually surprised to the point of disbelief that American spelling isn't one of the prime talking points between our two peoples on this website... Does that sound odd?

edit on 4-1-2013 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Personally, I'd say all's good with the vast majority of Americans... Here included.

When your troubles were happening with the riots, you were tolerant at first, speaking in general terms of members from the two nations. Then, your folks moved to being annoyed...and by the end, outright told a few of us off for sticking our noses too deep into telling you how to handle your own business. Some got 'butt hurt' by that, but that was their problem .. Not the UK member's problem.

Now it's reversed and perhaps Americans kinda skipped that first tolerant stage this time... but I think it's about the same for meaningful LONG term harm or impact. I'll certainly say that troubles may come and go between the two world powers, but in the end? Americans ultimately came from England, in my view and that of History for the most part. It's a bond that can never be broken entirely, no matter what idiots we have in power to either nation.

Americans and Brits are brothers...and occasionally siblings need to have it out and clear the air ...but being siblings never changes.

eloquently said.. i couldn't possibly add much more to this except.. i aint mad atcha!!
ultimately we know where the real problem really lies and if we, the u.s., let it happen we have no one to blame other than ourselves because in this matter, same as all our issues, we have the power to take back control.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
ATS does not represent the average American. A lot of US members on here are right wing extremists.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Originally posted by forgetmenot
You can always tune out that imported "culture".

How?

Do people force you to watch American television programs? It's literally as easy as pressing a button.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I find the American culture of "have a nice day" and "how are you" at every turn to be sickening, it is rare that those speaking this way to you actually have any genuine interest or belief in what they said at all and it appears to come out like a pre programmed statement that is said by everyone just as something you feel you need to say because that is how your society programmes you to do so.

Are you talking about when you go into a store to buy something and they say "how are you...have a nice day"? Because other than that, no one just goes around asking people how they are.. unless they are your friend. If you want to keep your job you have to be friendly to the customers.

edit on 4-1-2013 by WaterBottle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I'm from the uk and im pro gun I've long since considered our government here in the uk in its entirety to be corrupt and evil and should be taken out by force simply because there is no other way to do it they wont leave of their own accord until they have replaced themselves with more evil, here in the uk things are as bad as the u.s but we dont realise it yet because of our borrowing power, I'm sure we will soon thou most brits are living payday to payday i myself have not worked in 3 years and probably wont ever again im not qualified for anything other than the industry the government collapsed on purpose nor am i willing to do anything other than the industry the government collapsed on purpose, im suprised the uk government hasn't started genociding the people yet i guess they're just waiting for america to be disarmed so there is no chance of a coo in the US and an eventual american led invasion of the uk in the name of liberty,freedom and justice for all.

BUT KNOW THIS in the 3 years i've been unemployed I've not wasted that time in vain i am now fully versed in political spin and i'm fully able to see the big picture, don't give up your guns america for all our sakes.

We're All Dead if you do

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Horrible comments from the OP, if I do say so.

To profess that you don't care about gun control and that you know you have no right to "interfere" in the debate

you couldn't be any more attached to the testicles of america if you tried

whose behalf of you writing on? It sounds to me like you're in a minority of brainwashed britains who cult-worships America and has no balls to voice your views.

Sorry

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I think the gun issue will always divide us. Its an historic right for the Americans and its a frightening, puzzling thought to us from the uk. Neither side can change that. I think we find it confusing that anyone would want to carry a gun, because its not within our culture to do so. Thats all. In a way we over here look up to the idea of the values and life style of the usa. But then we see these crazy shootings and it just seems to jarr with the ideals you seem to hold so dear. That said ,Im glad we are on the same side, and hopefully always will be.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

reply to post by roughycannon

So you think as a U.K "subject" you have a right to interfere with the American Constitution?

I think you don't really have a right. Ok," on behalf of myself then"

Why as a Brit are you sitting in awe at the constitution. Why should any British person be expected to shy away from criticism of the constitution. Honestly, who cares?

If it comes to the abuse of womens rights in Afghanistan will you respect their tradition and cultural values. I bet, and I'm sure beyond all doubt, that you're only saying what you're saying because we're talking about America. I would find it hard to believe you hold the same defensive views in regards to rights and cultures in other nations.

You're trying to dissuade from criticism or attacks on the constitution not because it's worthy of respect in itself, but more to the point because the constitution is American, and that alone makes it special to you.

If there's one thing I hate more than anything when there is disagreement between some Americans and some Brits, it's inevitably the few oddball Brits who come out and offer to shine the shoes of every American, as apology for their rude and ignorant countrymen

Just listen to you, roughycannon said he stood by his opinion and you belittled him and told him he's in the wrong for having one. MaMaa said outright she thinks most British people are rude, which is far worse an attack and arguably untrue, and you're all pally pally, thanking her for her contribution and being "sensitive"

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

telling us to relinquish our guns because its not the wild west is like us telling you to get out of the middle ages with your mock monarchy.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join