It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

re Cooling of relations between U.S and U.K members

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Divide and conquer.
Fascinating.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Why is it when I open this thread cheesy love songs start playing in my head

LMAOOOOOOOO.....
edit on 4-1-2013 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by roughycannon

I am writing on behalf of U.K ATS members to you

Please don't write on my behalf as I stand by everything I say regarding the gun control issues.

I don't think this thread is necessarily as I think like me we don't have problems with Americans just the gun laws there...

Did you read it all?

Please remember that if any UK member was being a control freak about gun control really it is only because they do care.

I, being a Canadian, have stayed away (for the most part) from commenting on the right to "bear arms" (which would be MUCH cooler if you were given Grizzly arms and had them grafted to your body) because I don't live there, the laws don't affect me, and why should I have a say in a local manner.
The US people had best remember this when they enter a squabble on an international level.
You don't like it, so don't do it.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by forgetmenot

Originally posted by Dispo

You can always tune out that imported "culture".

How?

Do people force you to watch American television programs? It's literally as easy as pressing a button.

What do you think the worst show on TV is right now, yet it manages to be hugely popular? Something like American Idol?

Do people force you to watch American Idol/your opinion here? It's literally as easy as pressing a button.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Do you guys in the us get the British version of the inbetweeners over there? as they recently started airing the us version over here and its just awful.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9
reply to post by roughycannon

So you think as a U.K "subject" you have a right to interfere with the American Constitution?

I think you don't really have a right. Ok," on behalf of myself then"
We have a right to discuss our views and opinions on their laws.

I don't have a problem with Americans, i just think it's sad that they have such a massive gun problem.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaMaa

Not all American's ultimately came from England. Now admittedly some of my Scottish relatives may have come from England much further back, but I am also part Native American and that is most definitely not British. Hell the British and the British descendants that started this country did their best at wiping the Native Americans out entirely.
Most of the founding Americans were British decendants, hence why you speak English, and all your laws are written in English and the American flag also contains the colors Blue, Red and White like the British flag.

Also, we killed no more natives than the independant Americans did.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Don't speak on my behalf either. There are people on both sides that need to wake up.

Everything is interconnected. Therefore in my opinion everyone has a right to discuss everything. These demarkation lines only benefit TPTB by dividing us.

I'm pro gun rights for Americans, Brits and for the people of any other nation.

I don't agree with US members who tell us to keep our noses out. That wouldn't even be a valid response if there were not hundreds of american military bases around the world oppressing people and nations.

I also don't agree with other Brit ATSers when they tell US members to keep out of UK matters such as with the NHS.

In general terms I think everybody should be able to discuss anything. Imagine the wasteland that this site would be if Americans weren't allowed to comment on non US matters. This especially applies when a countrys actions have an affect beyond their borders as is often the case with the US and the UK.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Yes, some people in Britain are quite course and rude.

Some people in [insert any country here] are quite rude and coarse too.

It's funny isn't it because for large portions of the world the view of Americans is exactly as she describes her view of Brits. Loud, brash, coarse, rude and arrogant are terms that have come up repeatedly across the four continents that I have lived on.

The brits are usually desribed as having a stiff upper lip, a sense of fair play, and a desire to constantly talk about the weather.

I also find it hard to gloss over the fact that revlution9 doesn't even seem to know the difference between, The British Isles, Britain, the UK, Scotland, and England.

I think part of the problem is that as a percentage of the population far fewer Americans have lived abroad or have much grasp of international affairs than is the case for most other nationalities represented on ATS.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Revolution, I want you to know that I personally don't have issues with anyone based on the country of thier origin. I think people that find themselves debating about the problems of our world all too often can't take a step back and try and understand the others viewpoint. I do not own a gun but I know the reason for the way our Constitution was written. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and the one truth that I think everyone NEEDS to recognize is that just because you are entitled to your opinion that NOT everyone is obligated to agree with it. I have seen some asanine opinions and things said by both sides of the 2nd amendment debate. My views are what they are.....my views.....I do not expect everyone to share them or even to agree with them, the only thing I would respectfully ask for is that they be respected. All too often, people seem to feel they need to seperate themselves with labels as to what groups they fit into regarding politics and I just don't see the need for this. I am loyal to my own views and nobody elses. That does not mean that I won't change my views if presented with a logical argument that makes sense, it just means that I am my own person and don't fit into a nice little labeled box.

Having said all this, you seem like a rather logical and sensible kinda person, so I would have no issues regarding you as a friend.
Everyone is thier own person regardless of the countries they live in, the color of thier skin or thier beliefs or lack thereof.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by merkins

I think the main issue is prejudice. Positive or negative, prejudice is immoral. Saying one race is better than another is just the same as saying one race is worse than another.

People are terrible, regardless of any generalising factor. Everyone is awful. Me, you, whoever the OP thinks is the saviour of humanity, literally everyone.

I don't even know, drunk as a skunk, this is a terrible thread.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l

Honestly I don't usually notice what country someone is from unless they state as much. Admittedly I don't exactly have the nicest of feelings for a lot of British folks as I find a lot of them to be brash, rude and lacking in manners.

I wasn't going to get involved in this debate but you put a carrot onto the end of a stick that I just could not ignore. The statement you have made actually works both ways and for what it is worth I believe it to be down to a difference in cultures. But however, I would much prefer someone to be brash and rude to me if that is what they think of me rather than what you get out in the states and yes I have been to the states. I find the American culture of "have a nice day" and "how are you" at every turn to be sickening, it is rare that those speaking this way to you actually have any genuine interest or belief in what they said at all and it appears to come out like a pre programmed statement that is said by everyone just as something you feel you need to say because that is how your society programmes you to do so. In other words it just makes you all seem false. I'd much rather like to know where I stand with an honest approach, but like I said that is all down to our differences in culture, the Brits are GREAT moaners so.........

Absolutely it can go both ways. Even within the US there is a huge difference in general friendliness, openness, ect.. Me and hubby were just discussing this a while back. So my family is from Texas and hubby's family is from North Dakota. Where I am from people are friendly, they say hello, they ask you how you are, they tell you to have a good day. Where my hubby is from they are much colder, less friendly, don't talk to anyone they don't know and generally act very distrusting. Of course this description is biased, I admit this because I am not from there. So in my hubby and his family's eyes my southern family's friendliness can be seen as fake and insincere. Now to me, I look at my hubby and his family as uncaring, rude, cold and distant. I don't trust people like that, yet I'm sure people like that don't trust someone they see as insincere and overly friendly.

It is very much a cultural thing, but it isn't just different from one country to the next. It is different from one state to the next here in the United States. But if I ask "how are you" it is because I genuinely care and want to know. When I tell someone to have a nice day, I honestly wish for you to have a nice day. I am open, honest AND friendly about it all. So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!
*see that's me being friendly and genuinely goofy! *

haha...spot on! About 10 years ago me and the ex took a road trip to visit her family (I live in Massachusetts and we drove to San Antonio, Texas) I tell ya driving through some states was like visiting a whole different country.

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by GrandStrategy

So you think as a U.K "subject" you have a right to interfere with the American Constitution?

Why as a Brit are you sitting in awe at the constitution. Why should any British person be expected to shy away from criticism of the constitution. Honestly, who cares?

If it comes to the abuse of womens rights in Afghanistan will you respect their tradition and cultural values. I bet, and I'm sure beyond all doubt, that you're only saying what you're saying because we're talking about America. I would find it hard to believe you hold the same defensive views in regards to rights and cultures in other nations.

You're trying to dissuade from criticism or attacks on the constitution not because it's worthy of respect in itself, but more to the point because the constitution is American, and that alone makes it special to you.

If there's one thing I hate more than anything when there is disagreement between some Americans and some Brits, it's inevitably the few oddball Brits who come out and offer to shine the shoes of every American, as apology for their rude and ignorant countrymen

Just listen to you, roughycannon said he stood by his opinion and you belittled him and told him he's in the wrong for having one. MaMaa said outright she thinks most British people are rude, which is far worse an attack and arguably untrue, and you're all pally pally, thanking her for her contribution and being "sensitive"

I think he was entitled to his opinion....we all are..... as far as the british people being rude comment I think that was only meant that it is a perception and not an actual attack or viewpoint. The fact is that societies are just different. Stereotypes are always going to be there, it doesn't make them true but it is kind of naive to deny they exist......I will say that people are people....some fit the stereotypes and some don't....I don't think anyone can deny that the french get portrayed as being rude as well.....it is no different then people stereotyping americans as egomaniacs.....it is what it is

posted on Jan, 5 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You can always tune out that imported "culture".

How?

Do people force you to watch American television programs? It's literally as easy as pressing a button.

What do you think the worst show on TV is right now, yet it manages to be hugely popular? Something like American Idol?

Do people force you to watch American Idol/your opinion here? It's literally as easy as pressing a button.

American Idol?!? I wouldn't watch that trash if you paid me!!

and yes that is just my opinion and does not reflect the opinions of anyone else in the world....

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
www.judyfoote.com...

I came across this artist's site while searching for inspiration in using vinyl film on windows. I found her work and the small, neat &tidy website appealing and indeed, inspirational. I wrote a letter sent via post to request information on techniques she uses for a certain type of installation. Mailed 2nd week of February, hope to receive a response. OH, this is relevant because I am in the U.S. desert Southwest, & the artist to whom I've written is in the U.K.

I've a sense of Brits being: thoughtful- as in, thinking a lot... some over-thinking perhaps, which would be called 'brooding' or 'stewing', but as an exception.. 'Thoughtful' is not a veiled dig, it could show a general consciensiousness. OK, Aha! how 'bout 'pensive', THAT'S a word I was looking for. Thoughtful; Pensive; Musing; Somewhat Antagonistic; Surly; Polite; Not Partypoopers, as in, even if a stodgy British person doesnt partake in fun, due to their pensive, musing, surly, polite lifestyle, they generally won't interfere with others whom havent been so unfortunate as to embody ALL of my generalized perceptions of 'How' British people 'are'.

Any country which blessed the world and consciousness at large with Monty Python & the Beatles is sight unseen, a HOME to me, in ethos, subtext, cynicism, & grin-n-bear-it Heave-ho spirit.
edit on 14-3-2013 by kkrattiger because: consciencious? con sciencous? cous cous? con with science yous I spelled it wrong... "incorrectly"

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I never even noticed that there was tension between the US and UK here. Some of the members I most respect, and some of my closest ATS friends are Brits. I dont' find them to be at all different in their core values from any Americans I deal with. It's just that Brits butcher their own language and we, as Americans, perfected it.

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Every human should be able to speak their mind on any topic here. This is an open chat forum. As for you stuffy Brits - I LOVE YOU GUYS!

posted on Mar, 14 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Stuffy Brits? Whatever do you mean? [he stutters indignantly before settling back into his over sized armchair in front of the fire in the Gentleman's club].

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

No worries...I've never let a difference of opinion stand in the way of being friendly.

The thing about gun control in the US, is that it's way different than the situation in the UK.

Here, Pandora's box is already opened, so the guns are already easy to obtain, as evidenced by the many criminals who seem to get them so easily, even when it costs an honest person hundreds of dollars.

Also, guns are a right here, and taking away any rights is bound to upset the average American, especially long held ones. Also, there are many legitimate reasons for firearms here. I occasionally use a .22 to scare off large birds of prey from the horse pastures, for example, to keep them from messing with the dogs or horses. Also, many Americans hunt. In addition, part of our Constitution, is that an armed populace, ensures the government is FOR the people, BY the people. Granted, it's a bit obsolete, as the homeowner can't compete with tanks and drones...but I believe it still is at least considered, before government decides to take over completely.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join