It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen legally known only as 'Girl' battles to use her own name

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The naming of a child is important, for it sets the path and direction on how he will be perceived in society. A name is unique, espacially the family line surname, as it sets one apart from the others, but the christian name or something similar with society's convention gives him/her another unique characteristic from others.

In China of a civilisation of 5000 years of recorded history, the name/chinese character, sets the child for life in terms of luck, prosperity and well being throughout. So too many ancient civilisation that survived till today. It is something ingrained in our society of ages past, and something relatively unknown to our current civilisation today.

While a name is only a name as is any other, as accepted by civilisation today, society DO have to step in when moronic parents ill-named their child that it makes the innocent kid suffer unwanted attention or discrimination at a young age.

If the parent fails, we society - through our elected representatives, must not fail if the parents are morons. Let the innocent child have a proper socially acceptable name and then when he comes of maturity, he can choose another to suit his circumstances to live up to his aspirations or be derided and ignored if choose unwisely and stupidly. It is his choice to make, but by himself, and not by his moronic or selfish parents at his innocent young age.

No one likes society interfering into the most critical and vital building block of all societies - the family. But unfortunately, IRRESPONSIBLE parents exists, and thus it is society that must stand in to protect innocent children, the most precious, critical and vital resource of all humanity, to ensure they have a sane and stable child hood to live up to their potential as fellow human beings.
edit on 3-1-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublimecraft
reply to post by nerbot

Pfwang Dibbleburp Blindfrog III

Oh man, I LOL'ed hard at that.

I wish I had that as my ATS handle - guaranteed never to be forgotten!

Check out these - Hollywoods finest..............

Kal-El
Pilot Inspektor
Fifi Trixibelle
Sage Moonblood
Memphis Eve
Prince Michael II/Blanket
Rocket Rodriguez
Audio Science
Moxie Crimefighter
Tu Morrow
Jermajesty

www.cracked.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by Sublimecraft because:

LOL! Me too! And the third no less! Hahahahaha!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedmoonMWC
So you are all fine with the government doing this?
Sad state of affairs.

In my American Government class (in college) the professor asked, "how many of you would want to live in a country where you would never have to worry about if you could find a job, the government told you what you would be and made sure you had a job, you never had to worry about medical care, if you lost your job they would support you, you were free from crime because people were stoned or hung almost instantly. . ." and on and on the list went. He described what most of us here would call brutal repression. However, he highlighted that you would always have enough to stay lower middle class at least.

Over 3/4 of the class said they would accept almost any loss of freedom if they knew they could be middle class and never worry about losing it. Only a small hand full of us stood up to say we rather face the thrilling uncertainty of freedom.

Americans want comfort and "security" over freedom.They have proven it time and again. I wouldn't be surprised if more than 60% of Americans would support an approved names registry.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
and what's wrong with calling your kid sponge bob.......i see no problemo

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I usually want the government as far away from my life as possible, but sometimes the government should step in.

* Naming your girl "Unwanted" - [gawker.com...]

The government did step in for that, and I am rather glad they did. That was F-ed up.

* Naming your child Facebook.
* The Adolf Hitler above, I remember that story.
* Lemonjello, Orangejello (based on what mom craved when pregnant)

I could go on and on. The pope even got involved!

[www.telegraph.co.uk...]

Those who argue that it is your child and you should be able to do what you want are the cause for this to be a problem in the first place. By having a child, you have the responsibility of caring for another human being. Why on earth would you purposely try to screw them over by giving them such an messed up name?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I see no problem with it at all, It stops idiots calling their kids stupid names that they will only change anyway when they are older.

It has happened in the States too, for other reasons to.

BTW check out some of the names given in the states
my fave is Punch Me In The Face As Hard As You Can lol
(I know it is a piss take) here

www.smosh.com...

I would never be forced to choose a name to call my child. Not only would I name my child, whatever name I felt moved by (and pregnancy is a really odd emotional/hormone state, and in it, don't suffer fools gladly),but if I found my country was fascist Fourth Reicht Regime like that, would not register child and home school and arm the whole family, and then start making the Tshirt and cards and newsletters getting ohters onboard.

My parents called me a very unusual name, they thought they made it up, though its an alternative spelling on a very unusual name. Consequently, all 5 of my boys have very traditional names. That kind of swings one way, and the next.

However, now I've changed my mind after all those years and would have named my kids (had I not been reacting to my own name) more unusual ones myself. Nice, unusual names.

No other human, except the father and only if he's with you, has any say in the matter. Government, has the right to run and maintain good services, as its a hired mcdonalds worker, PERIOD. OR WALK THE PLANK.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Instead of relying on ancient folklore, read Freakonomics. They do an awesome job of breaking down how names actually migrate from the rich to the poor (in popularity) and then completely off the radar. They also go through and show that these crazy names usually come from people that are educationally challenged. The children are already born to underachieving parents from a family with a multi-generational problem with poverty, lack of education, crime and other factors that predict the kid will perform poorly.

If the child's name set their course, then when middle class families take names from rich families, the kid would grow up rich and successful. It doesn't happen. There is even a story in the book about a guy named Loser that went on to be a high ranking police official and did very well in life. His brother Winner had the exact opposite life.

The state has no right determining the name of a child. The child's name is not the determining factor. Genetics have far more to do with a child's outcome than their name.

Do Uncommon Names Cause Criminality

A Preview of the Freakonomics Chapter
edit on 3-1-2013 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meekbot2000
Canada already does this in Quebec, all children have to be named proper french names or they will not be registered.

Didn't know that. Would refuse to register. They take a hike in a rolling donought.

I have zero tolerance for fascism.

Most countries these days, like foreign names. Even before settling on the traditional names, I went through many different names, liked a few French, Italian, Japanese, and explored every angle. I looked at far more than 1800 names, and none of them were Hitler or some obscene thing.

No one gets to name the child but the mother, and the husband may have influence but if he has a problem with he should go through the pregancy and childbirt, and be the round clock baby care machine for years.[

One of the reasons the boys got traditional names was: if you imagine your child as a world famous author, what name do you think would be best on the cover of the book?
edit on 3-1-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

What about people who name their kids offensive names? you fine with that? you want your kids going to school with someone call Fartc**tpoobrains?
Come on you can not in a decent society call your kid anything you want, yeah make it different or even make it up but we have to draw a line somewhere and like someone said in this topic If you name a kid something offensive it is nothing to do with the child but the parents being "Oh look at me I have named my child this".

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
In many cases of parents choosing an off the wall name for their child, the friends and relatives intervene in favor of the child. The Government, especially a Federal Government, has no business getting involved.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

There could simply be a law that extreme abusive names would be considered abuse, and a few examples given. That would stop some from making abusive choices.

But names are not up to the governments. Governments are merely workers, employees. The estate is your inheritance to your children, and you're the employer, you're the government, but we're busy and we hire a manager. They are never given the kind of fascist authorities they claim.

Not only that, but a majority can't give away the rights of a minority that understand the constitution, their ignorance of the law does not deprive me of my sovereign infinite inalienable.

For some reason, keep encountering those on forums who don't seem to know what that means. I do!

In fact if I could turn back the clock, I would have become a constitutional lawyers, and worked for profit as an author and done my cases Pro Bono.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Unity_99

What about people who name their kids offensive names? you fine with that? you want your kids going to school with someone call Fartc**tpoobrains?

Couldn't the teacher just call the student by their last name? Why not call the student by their initials? A little thought and the problem is avoided on a level that doesn't require giving up freedom to the central government.
edit on 3-1-2013 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Is this what we in the U.S. and Canada are headed for? A government agency telling us what we can and cannot name our children

Considering that an American family named their child Hitler it might be a good idea!

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

No, he brings up a good point. Some names are abusive. They would fall under different laws. Doesnt mean they have the right to limit names to begin with. Like all other crimes, PRE-CRIME isn't how you deal with it. You have to wait till you find a perpetrator of something extreme. Thats not like calling your kid Kyo, (Japanese), or Sasuke (Japanese) however. Which by the way, I like alot and my kids wished I'd called them that.

Or my son who woke up with the name Zaddekei, and names his characters that in games now and told me thats his name. And I could have called him Kei for short.

Just because a name is not on the list, doesnt make it abusive. I would never allow Quebec to dictate my child's name should one of them be born in Quebec, for Quebec is also Canada, and I am free to live there and my child's name is NONE OF MY EMPLOYEES CONCERN, UNLESS ITS INCREDIBLY ABUSIVE.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I say we start with a ban on Madison, Neveah, and Kylie or Kaylie..God...I feakin' swear that every other girl in my daughters class is named those names..boring..dull..common. Why would any parent pick the number 1 name on the register or popular names? I want to puke when I hear a mom say "her name is Neveah..it's HEAVEN spelled backwards" REALLY..how precious!

Just remember...this years Ashley becomes next year Trashly...

edit on 3-1-2013 by Neopan100 because: '

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

Im sorry, Im pretty sure I read the article, and as far as I can tell, it bares no importance, WHAT SO EVER, to the state of affairs in the USA, which is a nation which is famous for its mad food, crazy music, and some of the daftest names ever given to a person.

A few choice examples follow.

Boys:

Blayde
Diesel
Izander
Sincere
Zebulon

Girls:

Luxx
Julissa
Midnight
Xylethia
Yankee

Now, I am not about to say that these names are utterly unjustifiable, but they do seem pretty silly. No doubt there are more ridiculous examples to discover out there somewhere. Mind you, who am I to say anything about silly names? After all, a couple from Kent (a county in the UK) once called thier child Depressed Cupboard Cheesecake. Lets face it, that is a pretty bloody silly name!

Still, not to worry any, because lets face it, the article doesnt seem to suggest that theres any real likelihood of a law being passed in the USA banning silly names, especially since the last looser of the US election has a stupid name himself, and gave his son one as well. The USA values its madness and its unique flavour too much to ever see a law passed against such things I believe.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I dunno, if the name is really degrading or offensive, then I can see how some regulation can make sense. However, this case is a nice example of how even sensible regulation tends to degenerate over time into overreaching stupidity. A list of approved names, really?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

you're right...NO freaking way this would pass in the USA..you'd be labeled racist if you even tried..because black people usually give the most notoriously silly names..along with Mormons and people that live in the upper southwest/northwest.

edit on 3-1-2013 by Neopan100 because: d

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Sorry, but I had 5 boys, each and every one of them was meant to be a girl. I only wanted 1 girl, though didn't keep trying for a girl, because I had decided on no kids before my first at that time. I just wanted to go to university, and was considering law in the end. Some of our battles are legal ones.

Anyway, the girl's names I like the most are: Kate, Madison, MKayla/Kala, don't mind Amber now. really hope for granddaughters one day. But I always wished my parents had called me Kate, felt like a Kate.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

OH my,

I just spit all over my screen bursting into laughter...

Thank you for that.....SOOO MUCH..

Pokemon Laserwarts, Karatetits Schwarzenegger, Chewbacca Diarrheaface

Pot heads....got to love them, hate them if they are your parents and are stoned naming you....lol

EDIT:
Wow, didnt know so many people were forever hated by their parents....Wow.
edit on 3-1-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join