Teen legally known only as 'Girl' battles to use her own name

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Teen legally known only as Girl

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

Like a handful of other countries, including Germany and Denmark, Iceland has official rules about what a baby can be named. In a country comfortable with a firm state role, most people don't question the Personal Names Register, a list of 1,712 male names and 1,853 female names that fit Icelandic grammar and pronunciation rules and that officials maintain will protect children from embarrassment. Parents can take from the list or apply to a special committee that has the power to say yea or nay.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 3-1-2013 by RedmoonMWC because: (no reason given)
edit on Thu Jan 3 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: title fix

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Mods if this is in the wrong section pleas move.

Really?
Is this what we in the U.S. and Canada are headed for?
A government agency telling us what we can and cannot name our children.
Anyone else uncomfortable with the State having this much say in your personal life?
I have no idea if this is connected with the UN Agenda 21 or not but in my humble opinion this is just wrong.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by RedmoonMWC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I see no problem with it at all, It stops idiots calling their kids stupid names that they will only change anyway when they are older.

It has happened in the States too, for other reasons to.

BTW check out some of the names given in the states
my fave is Punch Me In The Face As Hard As You Can lol
(I know it is a piss take) here

www.smosh.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I suppose you could try to register a childs name as 'f--k b-----d w----er n-----r' and see how far you'd get as there will be certain rules covering basic naming conventions

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Canada already does this in Quebec, all children have to be named proper french names or they will not be registered.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good job too, parental stupidity must be overriden when it comes to what a child will be known as through life.

I hate being Pfwang Dibbleburp Blindfrog III

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So you are all fine with the government doing this?
Sad state of affairs.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by RedmoonMWC

I don't really agree with a government being able to stipulate what you can or cannot name your children but I think in rare cases sometimes someone has to step in and protect children from their own parent's stupidity. For instance, there were the parents who named their child Adolph Hitler. Imagine the harassment the child would experience growing up with THAT name. Over the years I have seen idiot parents name their children things that would assuredly violate T&C to mention the names here. Then there are parents who name their kids absolutely stupid names, not caring what will come because of these names in the child's future- they only care for their own twisted sense of vanity.

When I named my own children I thought long and hard about it, choosing names that would be "cute" enough when they were children but do not sound idiotic or embarassing now that they're grown, and will still be respectable when they are elderly. Some parents do not possess the wisdom to contemplate the long term effects of what they name their newborn children.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Surely the european court of human rights could be brought in on this.
In britain we can't even get rid of known terrorist by extradition because it will breach his human rights

If naming your child whatsoever you choose isn't a basic human right the wtf is ?
Surely air, water, food, a basic education, healthcare, and the name of your own child should be a basic right for anyone. I know the healthcare bit is a very british thing but I was brought up with it and consider it my right.
To think in the U.S. you have the right to bear arms and in some parts of europe you don't even have the right to name your child. It's a crazy crazy world.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I dont think any government should have any say in the naming of someones child, I also think that people naming their kids "hash tag" and the like are complete morons. this thread has me thinking of the late great Johnny cash song "a boy named sue".

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Hell no f the government
I have the right to name my child anything i want
Its MY CHILD not theirs.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
All for it. These parents want name their child just for THEIR amusement, they thinking just for themselves and don't caring about their child. These type of parents should be denied the right to procreate because they are thinking that a children is more like a puppy than a human being.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Frank Zappa named his daughter "Moon Unit One" which she uses in the shortened form as just Moon. He also named his first son Dweezil supposedly after frank's name for his wife's big toe. Not so sure about that big toe part but I do remember reading it somewhere in the distant past.

That may be OK for children of celebrities who thrive on attention and recognition, but your average kid given such a silly name will carry it around like a millstone on his/her neck.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Pfwang Dibbleburp Blindfrog III

Oh man, I LOL'ed hard at that.

I wish I had that as my ATS handle - guaranteed never to be forgotten!

Check out these - Hollywoods finest..............

Kal-El
Pilot Inspektor
Fifi Trixibelle
Sage Moonblood
Memphis Eve
Prince Michael II/Blanket
Rocket Rodriguez
Audio Science
Moxie Crimefighter
Tu Morrow
Jermajesty

www.cracked.com...
edit on 3-1-2013 by Sublimecraft because:

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

When my children were born I and their Mother had already put a lot of thought and discussion into their names.
From the article it looks to me like this girl's mother did the same.

The problem? Blaer, which means "light breeze" in Icelandic, is not on a list approved by the government.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It seems kind of harmless at first, but if you had tons of people with generic names like "boy or girl", could you imagine the logistical nightmare those types of names would cause for paper work?

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

It's bad enough that some parents name their children after cars or alcoholic drinks (Porche - Lambrini - Bailey), but I think if you're going to name you child something utterly stupid, then yes, I think the government should step in.

It's not about censorship, its about child protection.
I couldn't imagine ever being ok with sending my kid to school with a name like "Game Boy" or "Field" or even "Monoxide" (FFS...) that is just messed up.
Its an act of protection for the kids against their dumbass parents.

If you want to give a kid a cute messed up nickname, be my guest. Don't make their legal name something you wouldn't say in front of your grandma, or something you can't pronounce upon looking upon how it's spelt.

The actor Jason Lee named his son Pilot Inspecktor. If I grew up with that name, I would sue the clothes off his back.

There was also the couple in America who named their child Dovahkiin so they could get loads of free stuff from the video game company when Skyrim came out... imagine naming your child something ridiculous just so you could get free stuff....
edit on 3-1-2013 by Lulzaroonie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

This particular case seems pretty stupid, as the name isn't offensive in any way, and the girl actually wants the name, but I don't have any problem with the government doing this in principle. If parents want to give their child a name that would obviously cause significant embarrassment and discomfort, I think it's perfectly acceptable to prevent them from doing so. I mean, if a parent wants to name their kid something like Pigvagina or Cockwaffle, it's undeniably in the best interest of the kid to force them to choose a different name, especially since the kid has no choice. I think it's a perfectly acceptable for part of the role of government to be preventing people from doing blatantly harmful and idiotic things to others who have no ability to protect themselves from harm solely through their own means.
edit on 3-1-2013 by Nanocyte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
There are plenty of ways to change your name if you don't like the one you're given. Stupid committees and governments need to stay out of people's lives. Surely the governments have something better to do, and the people in these comitees need to live there own lives, and leave people the hell alone.

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

As I am not schooled in the Icelandic languages I haven't a clue. Maybe the variables in pronunciation could cause the name to mean something else entirely. I am not agreeing that names should be chosen from an approved list, but saying that if a name could be considered harmful to the child in his/her future that there should be some kind of official process that protects the child from their parents idiocracy.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join