It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 striking parallels between the U.S. and the Roman Empire - History Repeats Itself

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

Originally posted by happykat39
Don't forget this 1936 British SciFi classic, "Things to Come", starring Raymond Massey. The inspiration for the Paul McCartney "Wings" band and initial album cover came from this movie and the group of people in the movie who called themselves "Wings Over the World".

Very interesting connection. Can you please tell me where you got this info?

I googled something like "wings mccartney 'things to come' " and the only relevant link I noticed was this:

www.amiright.com...

Which does seem to have a speculative tone.

Also-- to which album are you referring? Wikipedia says their first album was "Wild Life" and the cover depicts the band in a stream, so I'm confused. Interestingly, the link I gave above also mentions the album cover thing. Elaboration would be appreciated.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Thanks.

edit on 1-1-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-1-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

I have actually seen the art in question. And it was accompanied by the bit of trivia about the band name "Wings" being inspired by the group in the movie, "wings over the world", that restored civilization and technology to the world after a devastating war.

I have found one piece of ARTWORK so far that depicts the flying wing aircraft from the movie. It is on a poster from the Cow Palace.

Here is another image from a 1979 U K TOUR PROGRAM depicting a dogfight from the movie.

Here is a stylized IMAGE of the wings over the world artwork with the band shown in the lower left corner. And a version that can be magnified by mousing over it HERE.

SOURCE

The band name is said to have come to McCartney as he was praying in the hospital while Linda was giving birth to their second child together, Stella, in September 1971.[1] Paul McCartney recalled in the film Wingspan that the birth of Stella was "a bit of a drama"; there were complications at the birth and that both Linda and the baby almost died. He was praying fervently and the image of wings came to his mind. He decided to name his new band "Wings".[1]

So far I have been able to come up with pictorial proof of the connection to the movie but not to the band being directly named "Wings" because of it.

And I am also coming up with a blank on the artwork and article I saw a very long time ago claiming that the movie itself was the inspiration for the band's name.

This is all I was able to come up with so far. But now I am PO'd that I can't find what I actually saw so I am going to keep looking.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The Powers that be know full well that this is an Empire State...

Empire building

And the "Beast"?

www.google.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Interesting. The way I "recall" it was the Wings over the World tour was a tour of the world by jet. They flew everywhere they went so hence the name. Weren't they the "Band on the Run"?

But freaky poster as well. It looks like "Things to Come". And reminds me of all the bombing that goes on in the world today.

www.rockpopmem.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Yes,history does repeat indeed.The country seems to be headed down the same path as Rome.I have also noticed that when this is pointed out a handful of people will claim that we are not the Romans and will overcome these various problems.Bare in mind The Romans also thought the same thing until it was far too late.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

Interesting. The way I "recall" it was the Wings over the World tour was a tour of the world by jet. They flew everywhere they went so hence the name. Weren't they the "Band on the Run"?

But freaky poster as well. It looks like "Things to Come". And reminds me of all the bombing that goes on in the world today.

www.rockpopmem.com...

Your link is to the same page as one in my last reply. Band on the run was one of their albums. And it is also possible for there to have been dual meaning to "Wings Over the World", both as a source of the band name and as a tour theme. The Wiki article about Paul seeing a vision of wings as he prayed over his wife while giving birth is a bit vague. It is possible that the "wings" in his vision were from the movie. Like I said, I actually saw the artwork and explanation of the source of the band's name so I will keep looking.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
These things are fun but, of course completely inacurate. For every parallel you can find a hunded ways the differ, Even the parallels are only that at first glance. Fun exercise but that is all it is.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

"Crazy Swedes".

"They're not Swedes Mac, they're Norwegian."

From "The Thing"

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Your link is to the same page as one in my last reply.

I know. I grabbed it from your post so you would know which one I meant. Sorry, I didn't mean to impose.

images3.static-bluray.com...

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Excellent Post! I have believed this for years. The US military even did a study of the Roman Empire, and how we can avoid their problems, though of course they claim that they don't want us to be an empire, yeah right.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   
History will repeat itself until people start to realize that we are all the same and cooperation, not competition wins the game. But, human (ego) nature is hard wired against this. Very hard to change.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

On thing you forgot about the demise of the Roman Empire...

They poisoned themselves due to using Lead pipes and containers to carry water and wine.

Lead poison results in diminished mental capacity and insanity.

voices.yahoo.com...

Lead in gasoline emissions springs to mind eh?
edit on 1-1-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

Your forgetting that the Romans actually consumed lead as we do salt..

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
These things are fun but, of course completely inacurate. For every parallel you can find a hunded ways the differ, Even the parallels are only that at first glance. Fun exercise but that is all it is.

I can usually play devil's advocate here but with you it's like everything you'd ever said makes me cringe.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Also obsession of sports by the masses.

posted on Jan, 1 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39
There is some controversy as to whether or not Tyler actually authored this, but nevertheless it fits our national situation today so closely as to be scary.

Alexander Fraser Tyler, Cycle Of Democracy (1770)

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury.

From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over lousy fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.

The average of the world's great civilizations before they decline has been 200 years. These nations have progressed in this sequence:

From bondage to spiritual faith

from faith to great courage

from courage to liberty

from liberty to abundance

from abundance to selfishness

from selfishness to Complacency

from complacency to apathy

from apathy to dependency

from dependency back again to bondage.

My. God.

I'd say we are somewhere right between "dependency and bondage".

That is one scary list.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Greetings Tenth Power, after many yrs of observation and considering much evidence, it appears there has been, what can only be described as a spirit working within humanity, an opposing dualistic spirit (call it "Devil" if that makes it easier to understand) that has maintained dominance for hundreds of thousands of earth yrs.
It, apparently began its mission within the hearts and minds of the Atlantean civilization whom desired power over others. As the Atlantean civilization began to crumble, this spirit then spread with the survivors to the smallest pockets of planet earth founding nations such as Sumer, Babylon, Egypt, Greece, and others before creating Rome.
This spirit then rebuilt its stronghold within VATICAN CITY where it then spread its tentacles into other separate nation states such as THE CITY OF LONDON and THE DISTRICT of COLUMBIA (Washington D.C.).
This spirit now controls all governments, religions, economic and military systems making its fortune in the misery it is able to inflect upon humanities willingness to control others. But why? Was the symbolic story of Job within the Abrahamic Bible telling the story, just not the whole story as to why such a spirit was allowed? Was this spirit, due to humanities willingness to control others given the mission to help us untangle the karmic entanglement mankind created for its-self in its desire to control others? Is so much to consider when one considers that Rome never fell, but rather spread like wildfire. Will we ever cease our desire to control others, thus ending our own slavery? www.focusonrecovery.net...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Like the post keep it going. Was thinking about this earlier today, good old co-incidence\'s.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Of course that absolves the central bankers, right?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:43 AM
link   

The Roman Empire also dictated the course of the world by their worldviews, culturally expanding themselves to wherever they could.

The Romans even came up with the term "Bread & Circuses", which means low cost entertainment was being used to distract the populace from the issues around them.

No doubt there are much similarities, history does repeats itself countlessly.

S&F

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Well there will always be parallels in any society but nice observations.

Many people forget that Christianity played a big part in destroying the Roman Empire as well.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye

The Roman Empire also dictated the course of the world by their worldviews, culturally expanding themselves to wherever they could.

The Romans even came up with the term "Bread & Circuses", which means low cost entertainment was being used to distract the populace from the issues around them.

No doubt there are much similarities, history does repeats itself countlessly.

S&F

in oz at least they are pushing "free tv" and i often wonder if thats the bread and circuses to keep our minds off the inhumane politicians and their policies. its free and yet they keep pushing the ads to promote it.

and another poster mentions lead poisoning. well, depleted uranium comes back to bite the military on its collective rectum. and the radioactive material from japan blows all the way to the usa. ironic is it not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join