It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

8 striking parallels between the U.S. and the Roman Empire - History Repeats Itself

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There are more than these.

Loss of principles is one that immediately comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I guess we can thank the media for their total neglect of what is wrong with this planet.

But if you had a reptillian agenda to depopulate 90% of the population would you not own the media 100% and dictate what was appropriate for the stupid masses?

It is said masonry pledges allegiance to Nimrod who was the first ruler after the biblical great flood. In fact history has been covered up and altered SINCE THAT POINT just to remove traces of nephelim influence.

The tower of babel or tower of chaos resembles the EU parliament at strasbourg built recently. Wonder why? It is proof of the conspiracy.

The illuminati are the human priesthood class such as royals, top ranking masons, big business owners(also called the bilderbergers), the zionists, top level central bankers and all the extremely rich billionares and trillionares.

America and israel will fail first because they are the nations that have been tasked with bringing starvation and war to the rest of the world. But ordinary americans and israelis have little fault; they are brainwashed sheep.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I've often thought about those parallels and wondered about that cliche that "those who fail to learn from the past are condemned to repeat it."

In the end, it doesn't matter how clear of a mirror you hold up in front of it, humanity will always, always make the wrong decision and doom itself.

It's not that I am without faith. . .I have perfect faith in humanity. . .it's just a faith that they will always do what's wrong.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Divine Strake

If the tendency is to do wrong, then you need to look further, rather than to just let it go. It means the root cause lies deep. So deep that most people will think you are crazy when you come up with the correct diagnosis.

But of course we are too distracted, too brainwased from the media, and to dependant on government to ever do something about it. It seems a losing battle for the most part. Still I try to have answers for questions that are difficult to answer.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

the first set of laws were roman masonic laws. one of the first laws passed by the legislator was a law based on the base of roman law ''Those that can be deceived will be deceived''. Just a REPUBLICation of the Roman Esoterics. As well as egyptian esoterics. With the rise of america in the past 20 years we have dived backward our governmental views to that of the roman esoterics and blended it with masonic espionage esoterics and rule on pure masonic and roman esoteric arts to manipulate the masses.

masonic rule three omns of god 48 laws of power. the tru majiks the manipulation of man by what ever means possible. the boob tube the perfection of hypnosis. color light sounds images feeling emotion stress preyed upon and manipulated. all these situations i keep hearing about planes crashing into buildings and then crumbling down.... peace is all they want????

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Klassified

Yup, although I would suggest that Hollywood is the modern day incarnation of the games, not so much the Olympics.

They were around prior to the romans and were too infrequent to be considered real distraction.

~Tenth

Really Brilliant Comment This made things really clear for me in a way , The OP also is right on , Kingdoms Rise and Fall.
Now we just need to get rid of the "cause" and this time learn from it , but i bet that probably sounds easier than it is

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Make that 9. Sports and media.

...The Romans continued the practice, holding games roughly 10 to 12 times in an average year. Paid for by the emperor, the games were used to keep the poor and unemployed entertained and occupied. The emperor hoped to distract the poor from their poverty in the hopes that they would not revolt...

Source

See also this post...www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ours may not be paid for by the emperor, but the effect is the same.
edit on 1/1/2013 by Klassified because: forgot text

I think it is paid for by our "emperors"

But this ruin is partly our own fault. Of all the stupidness and evils - entertainment is the least offender. People chose to go to the colosseum or watch jersey shore. They pick what they care about.

Sure the government could and does give better options like symphonies and nature walks but that implies a judgment on our part of "better."

Does it serve the government to dumb down the public - yep - because flaccid brain muscles are easier to keep calm and get money from. That's pretty much government's job as they see it.

Does it serve the government to find brilliant experts - yep.

Do governments do both - yep. Is it up to the individual to choose how to be entertained. Yep.

I totally agree re all 9 comparisons - not only in US sadly - love this OP

So now what? How do we prevent the fall of the Roman Empire revisited?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
double post - ?
edit on 1/2/2013 by trusername because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So if these observations are comparable to the times of the fall of the Roman empire, you would say that we are about to enter a new dark age? The middle ages were a time of strife and suffering, for EUROPE. If you look at history while Europe lay in darkness the middle east, Asia, and Africa were flourishing. The problem with these coming dark ages, if they are, is the fact that these other places that will possibly still be flourishing could in fact waltz in with minimal strength and take what they please. Will we return to a post republic version of feudalism funded by external governments vying for the resources of a crumbled US? Do you think that is a worry we must take into account or will it be something we can't even fathom, our whole nation's infrastructure collapsing?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

What say you ATS?

Rome has many parallels to America. Roman garrisons were spread throughout it's empire.

Gaius Marius' reforms transformed legions into standing units, which could remain in being for several years, or even decades. This became necessary to garrison the Republic's now far-flung territories. Legionaries started large-scale recruiting of volunteer soldiers enlisted for a minimum term of six years and a fixed salary.

Modern day equivalents are American bases and deployed troops outside of American soil.

American Deployments
Military Bases

Then again this was prophesied to happen in the bible book of Daniel

Read about these world powers in Daniel chapter 2: 31-43

Verse 43 speaks about the divisions we see happening in America right now

And just as you saw the iron mixed with baked clay, so the people will be a mixture and will not remain united, any more than iron mixes with clay.

This is a nation that is very deeply divided philosophically it is no longer united, more so than ever on all kinds of issues:

- Abortion
- Gay Marriage
- Gun Control
- State Rights vs Federal Control
- Red State VS Blue State
- American Imperialism
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Sound Money (dollar)
- Health Care (Tax supported or not)
- Taxes
- Adherence to the Constitution
- Oppressive Government (all the new laws made up since 9/11)
- TSA (Airport Security violating human dignity)

Just to name a few of the more prominent ones, there is even talk of succession by some states if the federal government doesn't get it's act together.

Yet despite all these issues it has the strongest military in the world, it is able to project real power anytime anywhere with a multitude of weapons, indeed Clay and Iron mixed.

Also on the British side of the American/Anglo world power Scotland is having a Referendum in 2014 on if it should separate from the United Kingdom, more divisional attitudes that represent clay.

Want to see the bigger picture historically.....

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

"Yup, although I would suggest that Hollywood is the modern day incarnation of the games, not so much the Olympics." Tenth

And the irony is that instead of being entertained strictly by games and shows, we now can gawk at people who have it worse than us or get star struck at Hollywood's lavish lifestyles. Not to mention you don't even need to leave your house!

Just relax in that comfy chair and tell yourself that you should be rewarded for such a hard days work by doing nothing, while your brain gets nuked with frequencies and microwaves.

The general population doesn't even know what hit them.
edit on 2-1-2013 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   

I think that a lot of people are looking at these parallels and missing the point. We are indeed like Rome before the collapse of the Republic. But like Rome, our country will not simply collapse if and when our republic falls, it will become a more overtly imperialistic and dictatorial state. That is the true parallel between the modern U.S. and the fall of the Roman Republic. Rome didn't fall because its republic fell, it lasted hundreds of years longer. The real threat here in the U.S. is not that we will fall, it is that our democracy will collapse and we will become a dictatorship.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

They haven't used led gas since around the 60's

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
america is not like the roman empire it is an offshoot of the Roman Empire

edit on 1-1-2013 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Very true. The system and spectacle spreads by invasion and cohesion. When Rome fell, the ideas behind it stayed alive, in spite of the conquerors. A language and a culture, when organic (ie, not planned or designed) are impossible to totally divorce, as it is the language that serves as the social vehicle for the culture, setting its boundaries as far as what can be discussed (extant concepts) and in what terms (such as metaphor and metonymy).

When the Goths invaded Hispania and brought their version of Germanic language-culture, it did not stick well, less than the Germanic influences in France and much less than in England). The local Romans were subjugated by the Goths, but they never fully adopted their language, other than some personal names and a battery of military and clothing related vocabulary. They continued speaking Latin. After centuries passed it may not have been Caesar's Latin, but it remained. Flash forward (and skipping the Moors who had longer control and infused the Latin of Hispania with Arabic words and culture) and you find the Spanish and Portuguese crowns, the empires they created and effectively the spread of Rome to the Americas.

The Catholic Church is also in play - whoever made Latin the official language of God? So, why continue the long unused language in the liturgy? This has effectively maintained the Roman State throughout Western Europe, the Americas, parts of Africa, the Philippines and beyond.

And, when we say Western culture, what do we mean? Essentially we mean Greco-Roman. The Greek system of culture and government was consumed by the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire spun off of some of the ideals and concepts the Greeks provided. The Royal Families of Europe are often intermixed, such that a Spanish Princess can become Henry the VIII's wife or an Austrian can be the last queen of France. These families not only held power, but based their ideals of culture on the Classical one. So, any progressive changes the Gothic and Arabic influences caused in the Spanish or Portuguese, as a whole, are normalized back to the "original" Roman standard espoused by the leaders of these nations and others, such as England, France, Belgium, etc.

Why should the US build monuments in Greco-Roman style on the National Mall? Why should we use their month names and callendars or celebrate their festivals? why do we, in more ways then one, still maintain the Colosseum in most major American (north or south) and European cities?

Why should Latin and Greek words be used in our creation of new chemical, technological or biological terminology? English does this more than any other language outside of the true Romance languages - much less in German, Polish or Russian and unheard of in Chinese - though all these countries are also developing these advancements. In fact, English is the least "pure" of the Romance languages (some may argue my claim here - English is a daughter language of Latin just like French or Romanian, the relationship is just a little more chaotic). English is not just like Latin - it is Latin. It has come to continue Latin's sound through words like I mentioned above and to bear the torch of its spirit, by spreading it to every corner of the globe.

And, to come full circle, it's the language that sets the culture's transmission. So, in more ways than one, the US is The Roman Empire; Washington, New York and Chicago are incarnations of the city; English is Latin with some tweaks; All "roads" lead where, these days?

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Well written.

And well said.

If history is inevitable to repeat then it's not only the history of the Romans, but of those of the Nephite and Lamanite history, as well as the Jaredite history.

One wants power, they get it through any means possible which includes murder.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I have yet to find anything in existence yet that increases linearly forever...ALL things rise and all things fall all things are a bell curve with the standard deviation exception to the rule...

Having said that yes absolutely the US is on the road to ruin...I believe it has hit its peak and is on the downward slope to death and decay that will fertilize the soil for something new to grow...just as every and all other civilizations and empires that have graced this earth.

When exactly is anybodies guess but I have no doubt that its inevitable...

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Several of those bullet points aren't true about Rome....
Seems like the author of it just took things he thought are wrong with the US and said it happened to the Roman Empire.

I'm not saying there aren't any parallels, because there are. I'm just saying that article is crap.

Even if you do believe the parallels listed, the fact remains that Rome never collapsed. It's influence waned over several HUNDREDS of years. But there was never any abrupt fall.

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by Klassified

Yup, although I would suggest that Hollywood is the modern day incarnation of the games, not so much the Olympics.

They were around prior to the romans and were too infrequent to be considered real distraction.

~Tenth

sigh, the games argument is the worst parallel out there.....EVERY culture has had games from time immemorial. People NEED distractions; they need to be entertained. They can't work 24/7.
edit on 2-1-2013 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Not sure if this was said. The Romans worshiped lead. That was the main internal down fall. So it is the same in comparison to all the sheeple using antidepressants. We in the USA will implode from within. I have thought this since the early 90's. It is just a matter of time till SHTF. I have nothing more other than the OP is Right. Star for you a flag (when I can give it) Everyone should look and read this post!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Pax Americana has been one of the subjects of my History class when I was 12 years old. Maybe my teacher in the Netherlands was smarter than she showed... Good topic! Thanx!

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

What say you ATS? Is America, without the proper intervention, on the road to ruin?

Maybe!...or... Maybe not!...We shall see.

However its likely that it could be. But it also could also be that America with the proper intervention will be on the road to ruin. After all did not most messes that America is in now happen because of all the "interventions" that it got from all those helpful people, groups, special interests and created social construct entities. Maybe America should beware "interventions" more so then the road to ruin, the two seem to be intertwined and one always seems to lead into the other. After all there is always saviors out there willing to take advantage of such golden opportunities, it is what the Caesars the Senate and the Patricians specialized in.

I however think that a lot of unnecessary things need to decay and fall, so that better things can grow in there place, and no matter what you do that is what will happen anyways, ultimately its like fighting against the seasons and swimming up river, and even if you do succeed which is quite possible its likely that you would have just created a monster, after all look at the whole to big to fail fiasco, it would have been better to just let things take there courses and a lot of the messes we are in today would not have happened.

I always say that truly the only thing you can learn from history, is that people do not learn from history. Look at any empire, and the history of its rise and fall, and that fact becomes glaringly obvious. So prepare to be unprepared.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join