Whisperings of Job Loss

page: 1
30
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
+11 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This evening I was stuck on a bench waiting to pick up some medication at the Pharmacy and started eavesdropping on people's conversations as usual (I'm quite nosey). Everyone around me was much older certainly past the age of retirement. I picked up on some interesting conversations.

A man started talking about how he has heard talk of businesses here cutting all full-time jobs down to part-time. Many other people joined in agreeing with him that they had heard the same thing. The tone was that of deep concern, and honestly I got a bit concerned just listening to them. One man actually said "I guess I'll have to start digging ditches again if I have to" and he was on crutches.

I lived in a poor mountain town for quite a while and learned there to "always listen to the old-timers"...everything trickled down the phone tree starting with the phrase "The old-timers are saying...". I brought this up to a few people my age and their response was "That won't happen to me". I worry that people's egos have gotten to the point that they think this sort of thing couldn't happen, and worse, that it couldn't possibly happen to them.

This is a short little post I wouldn't usually make in a forum I do not frequent very much. I do believe that will change now, and wanted to pass on "What the old-timers are saying..." because in my experience, they are never wrong.

Thoughts?
edit on 31-12-2012 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)




posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


The economy is already terrible.

Many of the burdensome aspects of Obamacare are around the corner.

The US just elected a socialist-leaning President, and we're facing the fiscal cliff, or a solution that is based on raising taxes.

So is there one reason NOT to expect job losses?



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 
Older folks pay attention to a lot of things that we take no note of. They've been around the block long enough to see what's coming down the road. When Seniors talk- I listen!



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I have only spoken about this with people my own age, their general apathy toward the subject had rubbed off on me and I had stopped worrying about it too much until lately. Call me ignorant or uninformed, you may very well be right. This was the first real conversation I had heard in person where people seemed truly concerned about not only not being able to find jobs, but not being able to find jobs that could even sustain their families. Maybe I am alone in this, but thought it was worth passing on.
edit on 31-12-2012 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


Tell anyone who wants to work to come on up to the Jersey Shore. There's lots of restoration work here!



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


People know bad things are coming.

I was at my parents on Christmas and my father absolutely blew my mind, when all he could do was parrot the things he has heard on television and the thing he read in the newspaper. I realized at that moment, just how much our MSM is being use as a form of mind control.

The veil is being lifted and I really feel sorry for those whom have allowed their cognitive dissonance to override their ability to use their critical thinking skills.

2013 will most certainly go down in history as one of the worst times in the history of the modern world. That is if anyone is left to document it........



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
This whispering that your hearing about is in direct correlation to the new health care law going into effect. If the employees are under 30 hours a week, employers are not required to supply health insurance is my understanding. Employers slashing full time positions to only part time positions was widely speculated as a possible outcome right after the law was passed, and now it seems that it might just happen.



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 
Older folks pay attention to a lot of things that we take no note of. They've been around the block long enough to see what's coming down the road. When Seniors talk- I listen!



I had never really followed this logic until I moved to the Mountains. From when a business is going to close down to when the snow will start to come they never failed to call it before anyone thought it would happen. I listen now, too, and encourage anyone who doesn't to start!



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


People know bad things are coming.

I was at my parents on Christmas and my father absolutely blew my mind, when all he could do was parrot the things he has heard on television and the thing he read in the newspaper. I realized at that moment, just how much our MSM is being use as a form of mind control.

The veil is being lifted and I really feel sorry for those whom have allowed their cognitive dissonance to override their ability to use their critical thinking skills.

2013 will most certainly go down in history as one of the worst times in the history of the modern world. That is if anyone is left to document it........


Cognitive dissonance is the perfect word to describe what I have been experiencing while speaking with my own generation. Especially the group of friends I keep who are usually quite informed about current events and trends. I wonder if it is some sort of psychological attempt at self defense, perhaps the idea of this is too overwhelming to accept, and now we sit in total denial?



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
As I've said before, Obama's plan (bankster elites, actually) is to intentionally collapse the economy and offer up a socialist state as the only option left. It is why he is not giving anything on the fiscal cliff, because he wants it to happen. It's been part of the plan all along.

I'm not an old-timer in the true sense of the word (my sense of it, anyway), but I'd probably seem like it to the OP. People had better listen.



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
"It won't happen to me" ..Yeah, I was saying that a lot at one point too. Now I spend most of my time on ATS because I can't even find part-time work. I have the experience, I have the college degree, but I don't have a prayer!

My attitude of "won't happen to me" has now become "I hope it doesn't happen to you too."



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
"It won't happen to me" ..Yeah, I was saying that a lot at one point too. Now I spend most of my time on ATS because I can't even find part-time work. I have the experience, I have the college degree, but I don't have a prayer!

My attitude of "won't happen to me" has now become "I hope it doesn't happen to you too."


Exactly. I rarely chime in on the subject when it comes up, but in my head I think, I certainly hope you are right.



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well, you know what they say: A recession is when your neighbors lose their job. It's a depression when you lose yours.

For many people we have been in a depressionary period for a few years.

dailyjobcuts.com...

Now, the retail sector did not do well over the holidays no matter what the MSM and business channels tried
to paint a rosy picture of it. To see the truth of the matter, watch this website in the first quarter to see how many more businesses have folded or layed off their employees.



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


I've gotten some disturbing invitations from friends, old army buddies et al, who take prepping seriously.

"Next chance ya' get, why not pay us a visit for a while?"

I laugh and say, "Gotta work, pay them bills."

They say, "Don't worry about it."



I'm glad I have such good friends.

I'm worried because I'm not in the states so I don't see much. Hell, I get more info from ATS than anywhere else about America.

My father, Army vet, retired college prof. said just the other day, "Stay in Europe for a while longer. You'll probably be better off."

What in the hell am I missing here???



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


Not sure how old you are, but I've noticed that many people in their twenties are living in a very unrealistic fantasy world, expecting or believing in the government leaders to have all the answers. They live life like their in Disneyland, and the government is going to make sure all the rides are working just for them.

When they lose their jobs, or graduate from college can only find work at Starbucks, they cheerfully carry on, waiting for "things to get better."

There's no reason to think things are going to magically get better. There's no catalyst on the horizon that's going to make the economy grow. What's on the horizon is India and China, two of the fastest growing, youngest, and best educated economies, beating the US at it's own game.



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


With uncooked unemployment numbers nearing a full quarter in a nation with NO capacity to produce actual tangible things anymore, an out of control rogue government regime in power that is determined to siphon out ALL the wealth of the country and collapse its economy from the inside out, no more middle class, a drugged out populace that is to stupid to realize whats actually going on or simply doesnt care as long as they have social media, football, and beer, an education system that is the joke of the modern world...

Yeah, Im pretty sure its a safe bet things are going to get worse. "Job loss" is going to be the least of anyones worries at some point soon.
edit on 12/31/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaperbackWriter
Well, you know what they say: A recession is when your neighbors lose their job. It's a depression when you lose yours.


I have actually never heard that before, but now I will never forget it!



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


With uncooked unemployment numbers nearing a full quarter in a nation with NO capacity to produce actual tangible things anymore, an out of control rogue government regime in power that is determined to siphon out ALL the wealth of the country and collapse its economy from the inside out, no more middle class, a drugged out populace that is to stupid to realize whats actually going on or simply doesnt care as long as they have social media, football, and beer, an education system that is the the joke of the modern world...

Yeah, Im pretty sure its a safe bet things are going to get worse. "Job loss" is going to be the least of anyones worries at some point soon.
edit on 12/31/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)


I am in my late twenties, my friends range from 21-38. You are absolutely right.



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 


I've gotten some disturbing invitations from friends, old army buddies et al, who take prepping seriously.

"Next chance ya' get, why not pay us a visit for a while?"

I laugh and say, "Gotta work, pay them bills."

They say, "Don't worry about it."



I'm glad I have such good friends.

I'm worried because I'm not in the states so I don't see much. Hell, I get more info from ATS than anywhere else about America.

My father, Army vet, retired college prof. said just the other day, "Stay in Europe for a while longer. You'll probably be better off."

What in the hell am I missing here???


My husband and I were saving to buy a new home, the home we live in is paid for but quite far out in the country away from our friends. A relative is involved in a job I would call ...err.... directly related to big financial establishments, this person called us and told us to absolutely NOT buy a home now or in the near future.



posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin
 
My father was Dean for MBA programmes at a university and he doesn't even think it's good right now to BE in America.

Watching the US nightly news (a sick habit of mine) is eerily like watching Baghdad Bob during the 1st Gulf war. Everything is A-Okay (as tanks roll in behind him)

edit on 31-12-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)





top topics
 
30
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join