It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the gun rights people want silencers for their weapons.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
So here it is. A website for American Silencer Association. And they want silencers for all their weapons because it will help to protect their hearing.

americansilencerassociation.com...

FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE COMMERCIAL SILENCER INDUSTRY’S 103 YEAR HISTORY, INDIVIDUAL MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS, AND DEALERS ARE FORMALLY BANDING TOGETHER TO COLLECTIVELY ADVOCATE FOR THE SILENCER INDUSTRY.

And here is a page membership page.

americansilencerassociation.com...

WHERE DO THE FUNDS FROM MY MEMBERSHIP FEE GO?
PUBLIC AWARENESS CAMPAIGN
The ASA will work to create an effective public awareness campaign to educate prospective users on the merits of silencers. We will do so through the development of a comprehensive campaign, utilizing electronic, print, and social media applications.

DEALER EDUCATION
One of the applications of our public awareness campaign will be the education of standard Title I firearms dealers on the ease and the advantages of becoming a Class 3 dealer. In doing so, we will help expand the availability of silencers general consumers.

PUBLIC OUTREACH
Throughout the year, the ASA will attend various trade shows to generate exposure within the industry, further our educational agenda, and recruit new members. We will begin by attending SHOT Show, the AcuSport Show, the NRA Annual Meeting, and more.

BOOST MEMBERSHIP
The success of the ASA is directly correlated to the participation of an active membership base. Our membership base includes silencer manufacturers, firearms manufacturers, sporting goods distributors, firearms dealers, and members of the public. We will work hard to continuously expand our membership in order to better represent the industry as a whole.

On this page you notice the NRA meetings are listed. But then they list "We will begin by attending SHOT Show". Shot Show is owned and ran by NSSF National Shooting Sports Foundation which is located 2 miles from the Connecticut school shooting.

www.nssf.org...

NSSF Statement In Response to White House Press Conference
Dec. 19, 2012

The National Shooting Sports Foundation today issued the following statement:

We listened with careful attention to President Obama's statement from the White House today. Being one of the "stakeholders" he discussed, we would welcome the opportunity at the appropriate time to become part of a full national conversation with all policy makers that has as its goal the improved protection of our children and our communities from future violence.

NSSF Statement on Newtown Tragedy

We at the National Shooting Sports Foundation have been deeply shaken and saddened by the horrible events that took place in Newtown last week. There are not many degrees of separation in small communities like Newtown, and so, not surprisingly, we had family, friends and acquaintances that were affected. We are weighed down by their heartbreaking stories and the sorrow that has blanketed our community. Our hearts go out to the families of the victims of this terrible tragedy.

Out of respect for the families, the community and the ongoing police investigation, it would be inappropriate for our organization to comment or participate in media requests at this time.

NSSF was a big pusher of the Bushmaster firearm and all it's modification kits being sold. They promoted it through their show on TV and online. Their answer to Virginia Tech and the call to make a gun free zone at colleges and universities? They funded students to start shooting clubs in colleges and universities. Fighting against the proposed government restrictions.

And the statements above that they are ready to talk about gun control with the government? Really when they now are going to push for silencers so a school shooter down the road would not have been heard as he killed little kids in the classroom next door? What a joke. Lets give the mass killers a silencer so they can kill more before people realize what is happening. There would be no need to hide the noise by doing it at a movie theater during a gun scene. You could do it any where. Great idea idiots!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
People who go shooting for recreation are at a higher risk for hearing loss. But I also think they can use ear plugs/protection and that it's quite sufficient. It reminds me of a musician asking for a silenced guitar, or drums, so they won't lose their hearing.

I'm not against guns, but I think there are better existing solutions than making silencers widely available. Who knows though, it might not make crime rates any higher at all, the people who use silencers for nefarious acts will still get a hold of them, no?

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Silencers are already legal in many states. You need to fill out different paperwork but they are easy to get. There are also ways to make cheap and fairly effective silencers with common household items. What's the big deal?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Require all school employees to have guns with silencers that makes perfect sencd thanks for the heads up. I'll have to get a couple for the wife.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Contrary to what most people think silencers dont "silence" a weapon, still very noticable and don't make gun more powerful or lethal.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Silencers are already legal to own they just require the proper paperwork. A suppressed weapon is still quite loud, especially indoors.
You totally cant hear this right?

edit on 31-12-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. Silencers are used for one purpose. To kill quietly.

I have a silenced gun.
It doesn't make a peep until I pull the trigger.

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo
Silencers are already legal in many states. You need to fill out different paperwork but they are easy to get. There are also ways to make cheap and fairly effective silencers with common household items. What's the big deal?

Everything is a big deal to those that can't think for themselves. And yes...those who think that the govt wants to abolish the 2nd amendment for our safety is someone who cannot think for themselves.

Its about control. PERIOD.

Who cares if silencers are legal or not.

I love how the OP makes a reference to an idiot. Kind of ironic. To me anyway.

SM2
+10 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Silencers do not work like they do in the movies people. A more accurate descriptor is "suppressor". for example an ar-15 with a silencer on it, even the best ones available, will still produce around 130 db of sound at the shooter. It will make no difference down range, as the majority of the sound heard is the projectile's sonic boom.

So, forget all about that little "clink clink" you hear from the military rifles on tv shows, it is not like that in the real world. No, some pistol ammunition, is purchased in the sub sonic variety would be about like , but that is a pistol. A 7mm remington magnum or a .223 with a silencer is still loud, and 50 yards away it is just as loud as it is without the silencer.

People need to actually read about what something is before they start wanting to talk about it. I am so sick of people with no idea what so ever about guns, except what Mrs. Feinstein tells them go on talking about them like they are well versed on the subject, and qualified enough to make a decision for the rest of us.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
just as easy to make one as it is to buy... whats the big deal.. people complaining about guns so lets make them silent then you wont know we even have them

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Most silenced guns are pretty loud. I Sweden I believe they are required for hunters.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Silencers are cool. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Odd how the government allows themselves to have them but forbids the citizenry.

Now why would a government need silencers? Hmmm....

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Really,

Another uneducated post: "OMG I am scared of something that is legal in 39 states and the problem is so bad that I never heard of it... LOL"

Oh, of course you never heard of it, it was Silenced! get it... LOL

Sorry, I have to joke with the constant fear mongering that has been going on lately.

www.americanhunter.org...

Suppressors, commonly but less accurately called silencers or “cans,” have been commercially available since 1908.

5. Myth: Suppressors are impossible to obtain. False: Any law-abiding citizen, 21 years of age or over, who lives in a state where ownership is legal, meets state criteria and pays a $200 one-time tax stamp fee can obtain a suppressor. However, the process can take up to 6 months due to backlog and slow processing by the federal government. Read here for specific information on how to obtain one.

edit on 31-12-2012 by infolurker because: add content

edit on 31-12-2012 by infolurker because: add

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Why shouldnt they be allowed silencers?

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MJZoo

No kidding!!! Unfortunately anything to do with guns sets off a panic these days by the uninformed. Noise pollution from gun ranges, hearing loss from the shooters or bystanders, and being UN-neighborly by creating noise for your country neighbors to name a few. Ear Plugs and muffs work and the Silencers are not like the movies. They reduce the D.B. level.

[QUOTE] Suppressor

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Several firearms with detachable suppressors, from top to bottom: An Uzi, A Colt 9mm SMG, A Heckler & Koch USP Tactical, A Beretta 92FS, and a SIG Mosquito.

Bolt action rimfire rifle with suppressor AWM-F sniper rifle with attached suppressor.
A suppressor, sound suppressor, or sound moderator, is a device attached to or part of the barrel of a firearm which reduces the amount of noise and also usually the amount of muzzle flash generated by firing the weapon. Suppressors can be used both with gunpowder-based weapons and with compressed air weapons. Sometimes referred to as a silencer, this term is a misnomer associated with "movie magic", as firearms cannot be "silenced" due to the pure physics of the projectile moving through the air. Long distance shooting (i.e. greater than 300 meters), while using a supressor can result in a very low, or retarded, report noise at the moment of impact, creating a "silenting" notion at the point of target. The noise heard at the firearm location as the point a projectile leaves the barrel, though subdued, is not silent at all.[1]

A suppressor is usually a metal cylinder with internal mechanisms to reduce the sound of firing by slowing the escaping propellant gas and sometimes by reducing the velocity of the bullet.[QUOTE]

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I use a suppressor almost daily in my job. It helps not to scare away animals when thinning out game herds....

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CincinnatiReds
Contrary to what most people think silencers dont "silence" a weapon, still very noticable and don't make gun more powerful or lethal.

Correct. I even referred to them incorrectly in my post. They are called "suppressors" because they do just that.... Suppress the sound. Although much quieter than a normal gun, there is nothing silent about a "silenced" firearm.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Please do not generalize. I am a gun rights person and I do not want a silencer for my pistol. If I have to ever use it, I would like the person to hear it so they run away if I miss.

Otherwise, carry on.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
What a joke. Lets give the mass killers a silencer so they can kill more before people realize what is happening. There would be no need to hide the noise by doing it at a movie theater during a gun scene. You could do it any where.

Please explain to me how you make the leap that silencers being legal (which they already are BTW, research is your friend) equates to "Let’s give mass killers a silencer". Is there some new entitlement program brewing?

I have a silencer - I had to get a tax stamp and license for it... It has never killed anyone or anything unless you count beer cans as victims.

I also can make a silencer in about 20 minutes with the tools in my shed. Admittedly, it would probably only be good for one-two shots but that's all you need with a silenced weapon.

It's fairly clear you have zero knowledge of how a silencer works or sounds - it’s not like the name implies. The weapon can very much be heard it just muffles the sound some. We carried/used suppressed weapons for use indoors not because they were stealthy so much as their reduced decibel level interferes less with our ability to hear and communicate with one another.

Originally posted by JBA2848
idiots!!!

Do you have a mirror handy?

I am really curious how something’s availability equates to its being "given to mass killers". That's a rather illogical and bold leap...

My suggestion to you is less MSNBC/Huffington Post for a week or so till you dry out…

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I did not name the American Silencer Association. They did. And you don't see a problem when the company just down the road from a mass shooting is turning around and planning this big push for the new year? And while they are saying we would like to talk with the President about gun control? I guess their idea would be make sure you use both hands when firing so your more stable. Proper stance so your more accurate.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join