It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the gun rights people want silencers for their weapons.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: NavyDoc

You are being silly. Silencers are not regulated in Europe. You can buy them off the shelf, no license required in England and Scandinavia. They are considered polite to use and as a hearing safety precaution. You hysteria stems from watching too many movies, methinks.

They are indeed considered polite and are treated as tools, but just to clarify that you can't buy one in England unless you have specifically applied for one to be added to your Firearms Certificate.

I know, I know, this thread is two years old, but now I've started I have to finish!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
There are a few truely silent weapons out there. They tend to be purpose built with silence in mind though. Examples include the Welrod pistol or the De Lisle carbine. The first is a single shot pistol that has to be reloaded between shots. The second is a heavily modified Lee Enfield rifle chambered for .45ACP. The empty cases drop into a felt lined compartment within the mag. When you fire it all you hear is a click as the firing pin strikes the primer and the thump of the round hitting the target.

My point is that these are purpose built. They are not just cans screwed onto a barrel.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheNobleCasserole

My knowledge on suppressors is absolutely zero. As a so called "gun nut", I should know more but never looked into them.

You truly bummed me out with your post and video. I seriously thought suppressors quieted them down quite a bit more than that. Not silent like the movies, but enough to not wear ear protection.

I don't live in the city and shoot a LOT in my back yard. But there's several of my firearms that are just too loud to shoot without rattling the windows and making my bride run out of the house screaming to put that one away.

One of my favorite pistols is my .44 mag. Most accurate pistol I own but loud as hell. Would love to be able to shoot it here. My gun club is only 30 minutes away, but I'd rather shoot at home.

Thanks for the buzz kill that suppressors don't do a good enough job. More acreage is in order!

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

You truly bummed me out with your post and video. I seriously thought suppressors quieted them down quite a bit more than that. Not silent like the movies, but enough to not wear ear protection.

It depends on the caliber, the ammo, the suppressor, and the type of firearm.

That video was a terrible example trying to prove the "suppressors aren't actually that quiet" point.

Here's a better example with subsonic rounds and a quality suppressor:
The presenter is a goofball so you'll have to skip to the 12:00 mark before he starts shooting.

A suppressed 9mm running subsonic ammo through a decent can is even quieter.

Also, hate to burst your bubble, but unless your .44 Mag is a semi-auto instead of a revolver, a suppressor won't work on it anyway. The sound will escape between the cylinder and barrel.
edit on 7/8/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/8/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Also, hate to burst your bubble, but unless your .44 Mag is a semi-auto instead of a revolver, a suppressor won't work on it anyway. The sound will escape between the cylinder and barrel.

I have a sudden urge for a Nagant in .44 Magnum.

I know, I know, they never made them. But I want one anyway. I just love the idea of a silenced revolver in .44

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Dammit, didn't think about that!

I don't always wear ear protection when I shoot any of my .410's or .22's. When I bought the Rossi Circuit Judge(.410 and.45) I shot ONE round with a .410 and screwed my ears up for three days. MAJOR eye opener for this redneck.

I bought it for a home defense gun because of how short the overall length is, but a revolver next to your ear is a VERY BAD idea without ear protection! I couldn't imagine what it would do to ya indoors without ear protection.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9   >>

join