It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested after online rant against Liverpool and Hillsborough disaster victims

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DoYouEvenLift

That's adorable.

I think it is pretty clear who is out of arguments here.

Bye.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Then show me a similar US case where someone was prosecuted.

If you can’t then I will take it you concede.

How generous of you. You will take my concession if I don't fulfill your request.

Agreed.

However, before I begin, what are the circumstances that would lead to your concession?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Agreed. I think it's time people took responsibility for what they say on the Internet. It's easy to hide behind a fake user name and screen and blast others for their actions. Would these people be so brave to say these things using their real names? I think not. People should think twice before posting on the net.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charmeine
reply to post by Rising Against

Agreed. I think it's time people took responsibility for what they say on the Internet. It's easy to hide behind a fake user name and screen and blast others for their actions. Would these people be so brave to say these things using their real names? I think not. People should think twice before posting on the net.

The guy was with his face on camera on his own FB page.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RogueMcChronic

The latter part of my post still applies - people should think twice before posting on the Internet.

Edit: I really have nothing else to add except that - everyone should use common sense before writing posts on the internet.
edit on 30-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Find a US case where a person as held liable where no individual was named or specific group. It can’t be race, creed, or color. You are the one who claims that man would be held accountable in the US. Show me a similar case.

BTW the state needs to win.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

Or else what?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RogueMcChronic

I don't need to explain myself further. It's common sense. Should be used by all.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Charmeine

So you are saying that his arrest was justified?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
This is my first post on ATS - as I felt I must sign up to address some of the finer points regarding this guy & his video.

I am from Liverpool, been living here for 25 of my 28 years on this planet. A friend sent me this video as a share on facebook the other night - already I was astonished by the amount of shares it had by the time I saw it (1500+). Now, from what I read regarding the comments from his friends the guy had obviously had a bad run of luck with regards to his musical ambitions and felt that people he knew were turning others against him (others being those he believed would help with his music). By the way, a vast majority of his friends leaving comments were more or less condemning this video - and the Hillsborough comment (more on that later).

Anyway - for those passing judgement without the benefit of seeing the video for themselves - here is a little run down. The guy starts off calm enough, yadayada. However, after about a minute into the video he sets off, screaming into his camera, obscenities left right & centre. A majority of what he says is about the people of Liverpool and how he personally views them (or us, even). There is a PASSING mention about HIllsborough and even then he, from what I remember, only references the song that has recently been released.

Now. A vast majority of his heated & vitriolic focus is on scoucers (people from Liverpool) themselves. It does get to a point in the video where he, quite clearly, insinuates violence of some sort - whether it be to the people he feels has wronged him or not is never made clear. Ergo, his angry tirade boils down to threatening people - once he crossed that mark then the police have full right to step in.

This has nothing to do with offending people. What I witnessed when I watched his video was a very angry, paranoid and torn shell of a person. He made ONE passing comment about the Hillsborough song and repeated insinuated threats of violence towards people. This has nothing to do with free-speech - this is a case a potentially dangerous person who was at the end of his tether. And, in my opinion, the police acted accordingly.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomDoomDoomy

He didn't actually threaten anyone. I can see how it could be perceived, but legally they have no case against him.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
He was obviously mentally unstable because of his out of control emotional display and more importantly his threats and references to a recent spree killer.

I'd like to think those were the reasons he was arrested, and I'd support that. But if the Police had arrested someone for articulating their views, no matter how disagreeable they were, I'd be the first to criticise that. In this case however, the man was not just speaking his mind, he was also being extremely threatening.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

He didn't actually threaten anyone.

I agree that they could not let it go unchecked, but I see no legal basis for an arrest, let alone a conviction.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
You're right - he didn't threat any one person or group of people directly. However, there was intent and direction in his language to come to the conclusion of harm towards other people. If I release a video of myself saying I'm going to do something in which others are in harms way....then should the police, or any authority, just stand by?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Labeling speech you don't like "hate speech" doesn't make it any less speech. It's so sad people want the government to protect their little egos and jail people for saying something that hurts their wittle feelings.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomDoomDoomy

He didn't say he was going to do anything, he said they were lucky he is not like that.

The rest of his ramblings weren't threats of violence either.

I agree, it is borderline, but legally they got nothing on him.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
He was obviously mentally unstable because of his out of control emotional display and more importantly his threats and references to a recent spree killer.

I'd like to think those were the reasons he was arrested, and I'd support that. But if the Police had arrested someone for articulating their views, no matter how disagreeable they were, I'd be the first to criticise that. In this case however, the man was not just speaking his mind, he was also being extremely threatening.

Now if only there was a task force comparable to the police that would reach out and listen to these angered souls, possibly comfort them and work towards a resolution. I know some feel this was the correct action but it just seems like handling a negative with a negative in my opinion.

These arrests might just fuel more anger for some; please say there is a better way.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomDoomDoomy
This is my first post on ATS - as I felt I must sign up to address some of the finer points regarding this guy & his video.

I am from Liverpool, been living here for 25 of my 28 years on this planet. A friend sent me this video as a share on facebook the other night - already I was astonished by the amount of shares it had by the time I saw it (1500+). Now, from what I read regarding the comments from his friends the guy had obviously had a bad run of luck with regards to his musical ambitions and felt that people he knew were turning others against him (others being those he believed would help with his music). By the way, a vast majority of his friends leaving comments were more or less condemning this video - and the Hillsborough comment (more on that later).

Anyway - for those passing judgement without the benefit of seeing the video for themselves - here is a little run down. The guy starts off calm enough, yadayada. However, after about a minute into the video he sets off, screaming into his camera, obscenities left right & centre. A majority of what he says is about the people of Liverpool and how he personally views them (or us, even). There is a PASSING mention about HIllsborough and even then he, from what I remember, only references the song that has recently been released.

Now. A vast majority of his heated & vitriolic focus is on scoucers (people from Liverpool) themselves. It does get to a point in the video where he, quite clearly, insinuates violence of some sort - whether it be to the people he feels has wronged him or not is never made clear. Ergo, his angry tirade boils down to threatening people - once he crossed that mark then the police have full right to step in.

This has nothing to do with offending people. What I witnessed when I watched his video was a very angry, paranoid and torn shell of a person. He made ONE passing comment about the Hillsborough song and repeated insinuated threats of violence towards people. This has nothing to do with free-speech - this is a case a potentially dangerous person who was at the end of his tether. And, in my opinion, the police acted accordingly.

Oh hey, welcome to ATS, and perhaps you can clarify your professional experience in being able to diagnose psychotic behavior?

"Potentially" dangerous person.....who gets to clarify that one? All I saw in that video is a man who clearly wants to better himself, attempting to do so when people are smearing # on his reputation. I myself would be angry - to that extent, who knows.

Appears that some people are so scared of life they want the government to regulate everything.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightTide

Oh hey, welcome to ATS, and perhaps you can clarify your professional experience in being able to diagnose psychotic behavior?

"Potentially" dangerous person.....who gets to clarify that one? All I saw in that video is a man who clearly wants to better himself, attempting to do so when people are smearing # on his reputation. I myself would be angry - to that extent, who knows.

Appears that some people are so scared of life they want the government to regulate everything.

I never suggested that I was diagnosing him, I was giving my opinion on what I saw. If you say that he wishes to "better himself" - then posting that video, and carrying himself in the manner in which he did, is not the way to go about it.

And your last comment is way off base. Though I'm going to assume that your professional experience is not what led you to suggest it.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

Seems to be a real growing trend, penalizing people for expressing themselves! Of course, those that want total control know they can't have it unless they can eliminate such freedoms, and that is their goal.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join