It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The top 15 ways to die in the US and guns isnt one of them

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
But the blacks loved it. Now you try taking that away from them now and they will use thier 2nd rights.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Before the 13th the Blacks had NO rights. Guess who had them all?
We're talking about Constitutional change. With the 13th the status quo REALLY fell. Those that didn't agree with it LOST rights they had lived with all their lives. Sometimes the status quo has to be changed.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Tanks can't shoot unless someone pulls the trigger. Jets can't fly unless someone is piloting. Not every member of the military is a mindless drooling moron. That category appears to be most apt in the civilian leaders.

And guns don't pull the trigger all by themselves even tho some people think they do

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
A massive heart attack and/or debilitating stroke is not the intended effect of Ice Cream. It's made to taste good on a warm summer day, to put a smile on a kid's face, and to eat off your naked wife's bottom on your anniversary. But some people over indulge and a few deaths result.

Just as guns and their private ownership among citizens are not intended to be used in crimes, it does indeed happen sometimes.

Both result in death.

Neither should be banned. And the only way to make sure your ice cream is never taken away from you is to keep your guns from being taken away first.
edit on 29-12-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

Ah but the same people who want to ban guns, and the same people who want smoking banned, big gulps,transfats, and salt.

Anything "deemed to be dangerous" to the common folk they need to be saved from themselves you know the antithesis of liberalism.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
this is a question on how we trick ourself and the ones born with these i am truth sad for u if i could take it all so everyone could know how to live life i would take all of these but look at us we live like kings and most of everyone don't even realize this how lucky we really have it but this comes into the fact we are growing sad fact its not just enough to survive and live... its more of what we had what we have had what we don't need and its never enough for us americans thats why u see us at the MD, taco bell or Big K drive tho ordering more burgers or buying rings necklaces I COULD GO ON forever on what us americans don't need but want... the question is... is something wrong here? should we change for the greater good or hide out in own houses waiting? and if so how do we start no one knows. we need a push... and if so one person couldn't change this it has to be all of us.. i post this b/c im still waiting for a leader to pop up b/c im not one. we has people is are still mammals and we forget this.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by kaylaluv

There's really no such thing as a "military-style" weapon. All fire on the same principle. Some fire at a higher rate than others is all.

The Second Amendment doesn't hold a caveat on range, caliber, muzzle velocity or load capacity. Government, while trying to restrict firearms, does.

Some want a government and a police force of the 21st century while the masses are kept in the 18th century.

The second Amendment was rather clear in that aspect considering the musket was the pinnacle of technology of that era.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Last time I looked deaths and murders were only linked because of the outcome... death. The intent is totally different. While one could/should take care of themselves, thus putting off death as long as possible, it isn't remotely like someone intentionally taking the life of another. Another ridiculous gun argument shot down. Keep em coming. I've got the energy.

Is not murder already illegal?

The act of taking another life to where the courts have very degrees of murder the absurdity is creating more laws for something that was already illegal.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
true neo96 true but this still comes into another question then... why would u murder or what would it take? if u can control what u do why take a order another or have been told to be somewhere at a certain time? if u can control that right? if anything it would be right on my own time and on my own place.. i been taught that my whole live if for myself but if u could go out with a bang and save thousands of lifes i would. i just got a trust thing tho

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by beezzer

Appreciate the sentiment, but tyrannical governments have military equipped with tanks, fighter jets, bombs, helicopters, drones, body armor, unlimited ammo...you get the picture.

thats just dumb like the american government is gonna come after american citizens with tanks and hellicopters
just to get our guns. As much as you would like it to

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by circuitsports
• Life expectancy at birth was 78.5 years.
• The 15 leading causes of death in 2009 were:
1. Diseases of heart (heart disease)
2. Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
3. Chronic lower respiratory diseases
4. Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke)
5. Accidents (unintentional injuries)
6. Alzheimer’s disease
7. Diabetes mellitus (diabetes)
8. Influenza and pneumonia
9. Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis (kidney disease)
10. Intentional self-harm (suicide)
11. Septicemia
12. Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
13. Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal dis­ease (hypertension)
14. Parkinson’s disease
15. Assault (homicide)

So more people die of old age than from firearms? What a shock!

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
true true looks like we still have the upper hand then

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Actually it is,

In the US firearms are the most common form of suicide (accounting for 53.7%)

Also according to the experts, less firearms means less suicide because other methods are less successful...

In the US...

Suicide rates are higher in rural areas. People in rural ares are more likely to attempt suicide with a firearm. Because people who use a firearm are more likely to die (than others who choose a less lethal method), more people in rural areas die from suicide.

Source: Natalie Staats Reiss, Ph.D., and Mark Dombeck, Ph.D.

edit on 29/12/12 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
all the more reason not to take them away right? and if so it wouldn't be years of anarchy?

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior

Actually it is,

Also according to the experts, less firearms means less suicide because other methods are less successful...

In the US...

Suicide rates are higher in rural areas. People in rural ares are more likely to attempt suicide with a firearm. Because people who use a firearm are more likely to die (than others who choose a less lethal method), more people in rural areas die from suicide.

. If someone really wants to off themselves they will find a way. Guns are popular choice because they are easily in reach. But so is rope.

posted on Dec, 29 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
If someone really wants to off themselves they will find a way. Guns are popular choice because they are easily in reach. But so is rope.

One unsuccessful attempt may be all it takes for them to find the help that they need. Loved ones often have no idea the person was suicidal.

Guns usually mean there is no second chance, but the statistics suggests other methods are not as successful.

Hence the lower suicide rate where there are less guns.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Actually it is,

In the US...

In Australia suicide by firearm did indeed go down. Suicide by other methods went up, there was no effect.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
While I agree with the intent of this thread, I think it's presupposition is sending a terrible message.

Since when did avoiding death be the top value in our society? The USA was created by people, courageous men and woman, who valued freedom far more than they feared death.

If we turn into a culture whose top priority if avoiding death we might as well wish for a benevolent dictator for our leader.

Or is that what we just did? Is that what we've evolved into? A culture happy to avoid death and be told what we can and cannot do by our benevolent dictator in chief?

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Actually it is,

If you added deaths by suicide and assault by firearm together it would just barely make the top 15 - but i don't consider sucide by gun to be any kind of a crime unlike assault with a gun so it's moot.

Also many of these diseases are related to obesity and obesity also does wonderful things to hormones like building up estrogen in a mans body.

And if you think that has no effect on someones personality ask a women.

Then consider how this behavior effects society, it's laws and ultimately the government - so yes these other things do overthrow governments just more slowly.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by beezzer

Appreciate the sentiment, but tyrannical governments have military equipped with tanks, fighter jets, bombs, helicopters, drones, body armor, unlimited ammo...you get the picture.

Tanks can't shoot unless someone pulls the trigger. Jets can't fly unless someone is piloting.

Not every member of the military is a mindless drooling moron. That category appears to be most apt in the civilian leaders.

Jets can't fly unless someone is piloting.

well beezer there is technically autopilot

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
also a deer nabbed by a mountain lion if you think nobody needs guns.

edit on 30-12-2012 by rockoperawriter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by rockoperawriter

Originally posted by rockoperawriter

also a deer nabbed by a mountain lion if you think nobody needs guns.

Which one needs the gun; the deer or the mountain lion?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join