It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The top 15 ways to die in the US and guns isnt one of them

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Originally posted by gladtobehere

I mean by the government with regards to stripping us of our rights when they account for such a small % of deaths.
I already answered that before you asked me. There isn't a category pertaining specifically to 'Death by Gun'. Guns are just one of the methods which can be used within several different categories.

Bullets kill many more people than guns do, yet I don't see a bullet category either.

Of-course understanding the fact that "guns" arent capable of doing anything. No more than a knife, baseball bat or any other inanimate object.
Right, because without a bullet, all you have is a piece of metal to hit someone with.

Very straightforward concept: people/individuals are to blame for violent behavior.
Obviously, but a violent person with a gun, can do a bit more damage than a violent person with a stick.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Let me ask they gun loving people here:

Why would you need a gun if no one else had one? What is the use?

To me the whole gun thing is the USA seem to be a pure arms-race of who can to the most amount of damage when you are threaten or you are threatening someone else.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

But what´s the problem? You can have weapons here and you can shoot them. You can even take them to home if you own them. It´s just that the way to get a weapon is a little bit harder.
Going to training, meeting other people is a must if you want a weapon of your own.

Let me give you a lengthy example. If I don´t get the facts right, please tell me.

Imagine a 18 year old who is known as a quite, isolated person (blablabla you know the circumstances)

USA (depends on state, I know)
-> He decides to go rampage.
-> He walks into a weapon store, selects and buys his weapon and has to wait 1 week to get it.
-> Maybe he had to take a safety class before.
-> Gets weapon and can go rampage.

Germany
-> He decides to go rampage.
-> Have to sign up in a shooting club.
-> Goes to regular training for 52 weeks.
-> Is watched by comrades and the chief of the club.
-> After one year of regular training and being in the shooting club, chief decides wether that you can file a paper to get your first gun, or not.
-> Then you have to pass a qualification test.
-> Then you have to show that you have a NEED for the gun (meaning you were on regular training/sport shooting, you have to handle weapons daily because its your job OR you are such a endangered person (this fits to almost nobody in Germany)
-> Then you have to show that you are psychological and mental fit.
-> Oh you are under 25? Go get an extra psychological test to proof you are not addicted to anything, are not violent or other nefarious things.
-> You then can file a request to get your desired gun.
-> Request is given ok.
-> You can now buy the gun you made the request before.

Takes you 1,5 years to get a gun into your hands that you can take to your home IF

-> You keep the ammunition and the weapon in two different safes.
-> You keep the ammunition in a safe that is specified to be weapon safe.
-> You get unannounced visits where you have to show how you handle the gun, how you keep it safe, how you make sure nobody else can get the fingers on it.

They will take your gun IF:
-> You commited any fellony or crime
-> You got busted drunk in public
-> Dare you to drive with ANY alcohol in your blood. Even the 0.5 promille border is taboo for you.
-> Dare you to get into any fight or other problems.
-> You do not attend to training anymore (you loose your need)

Now that´s little difference.
Still, if you want and need a weapon, you can get one here in Germany. But not any nutcase can walk into a store and one or two weeks later he has a gun in his hands to call his own.

After all the training and talks to your club comrades, if you are a silent loony, they will notice. It was a case in my and verschickters club where one was denied to get a weapon because he did not pass psychological test.

See my point? You can have a weapon if you need and want one. But if you want one, you will have to travel a stony road. But generally, everybody can have a weapon in Germany, if you take the effort.

BTW, we have groundrights, these are similar to your constitution.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by R9e9l9o

I started shooting air rifle when I was 13 and got better and better. At one point, it wasn´t any fun because you always hit 10s or 9s by time. Then I proceeded to .22 caliper because of the kickback and the difficulty it adds. Now I shoot 9mm and sometimes my HK 512 I got from my uncle verschickter at my 21´s birthday.

Its fun to hit a target at 50m or 75m where you want your bullet to land, even for a girl.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad
reply to post by R9e9l9o

I started shooting air rifle when I was 13 and got better and better. At one point, it wasn´t any fun because you always hit 10s or 9s by time. Then I proceeded to .22 caliper because of the kickback and the difficulty it adds. Now I shoot 9mm and sometimes my HK 512 I got from my uncle verschickter at my 21´s birthday.

Its fun to hit a target at 50m or 75m where you want your bullet to land, even for a girl.

But there is no need for guns if its just for fun. Almost everything can be found fun but that doesn't justify the need or danger it has.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by beezzer

Appreciate the sentiment, but tyrannical governments have military equipped with tanks, fighter jets, bombs, helicopters, drones, body armor, unlimited ammo...you get the picture.

Yet we are still in Afghanistan where their 'insurgents' are much less armed than the American people....get that picture.

Also I don't believe that our military would be willing to use those weapons on their families.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by circuitsports

1. Diseases of heart (heart disease)
2. Malignant neoplasms (cancer)
3. Chronic lower respiratory diseases
4. Cerebrovascular diseases (stroke)
5. Accidents (unintentional injuries)
6. Alzheimer’s disease
7. Diabetes mellitus (diabetes)
8. Influenza and pneumonia
9. Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis (kidney disease)
10. Intentional self-harm (suicide)
11. Septicemia
12. Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis
13. Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal dis­ease (hypertension)
14. Parkinson’s disease
15. Assault (homicide)

None of these listed, though, can overthrow a tyrannical government.

Food for thought.

More true than you know. This is a list of things that keep us from being able to do that. I'd rather have an army of fit guys with hunting rifles than a bunch of obese sickies with SAWs and M4s.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is not a comment directly at guns but at the statistics shown.

If you looked at the statistics between France and UK, there is far more deaths of "Heart Attack" in the UK and far less "Death by natural causes". This is a problem with this sort of statistics, the French are more likely in older people (in my mind) to register "Death by Natural causes" than "heart attack" - most deaths will end in a ceasure of the heart.

We have to be very careful with these statistics

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

Just this morning I saw a news report on a woman shoving a man into train tracks killing him by train. What's it they don't talk about stopping subways and trains from running because trains kill people too.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Just this morning I saw a news report on a woman shoving a man into train tracks killing him by train. What's it they don't talk about stopping subways and trains from running because trains kill people too.

Trains and subways serve a purpose of transporting people from one place to another. Guns, especially assault-style weapons designed by and for the military, have one and only one purpose -- to kill. Not only to kill, but to kill large numbers of people in a short amount of time. These weapons were designed for no other purpose.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by R9e9l9o
Let me ask they gun loving people here:

Why would you need a gun if no one else had one? What is the use?

To me the whole gun thing is the USA seem to be a pure arms-race of who can to the most amount of damage when you are threaten or you are threatening someone else.

Because they want to hunt, because they want to target shoot, because they want.

Why does anyone need a ferrari oran american express centurion card or space travel or craigslist or fashion.

You think guns ruin more lives than the pursuit of money and sweatshops to make cheap nikes?

unlikely.

Actually why does the world need you? Just to tell me how to live my life?

Since you don't hunt for me I'll trade my rifle to 10 of you.

posted on Dec, 30 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by StareDad

I wrote a rather lengthy essay here that may elaborate on my position.

posted on Dec, 31 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

Good!
Trains are just as effective as a weapon as guns!
So you don't need guns to defend yourself, you can just wait for the next train!
"The right to bare arms" will from now on mean being allowed on a train platform without handcuffs. (As in bare arms, instead of bare arms)
Case closed.

posted on Jan, 2 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I read it and I agree with you.
I´m not talking about taking away the freedom.
I´m talking about making this freedom available only if you proof that you are able to not hurt the freedom of others.

You can´t call it a freedom to use .50 and full-automatic weapons. Those are weapons intended to kill in a big manner. You can´t compare them with the freedom to hunt or to defend yourself. How likely is it that you need to hunt an elephant or to empty a 30 or even 50 round magazine in 4 seconds against an army as a private person?
Freedom has an end somewhere.

You need a license for a car because you can hurt them if you make an error while operating. Some vehicle need special training to use them, means an extra license. Why not do it like this with weapons? Its just logical.

I own weapons (guns) myself and I´m all for regulating the higher calipers and automatics.

Edit: I´m not living in the USA, this is my opinion as an outsider.

edit on 2-1-2013 by StareDad because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
The absolute #1 cause of Death is MONEY.

posted on Jan, 4 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
actually the #1 cause of death is mosquitos

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join