It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A potential way to fix americas gun problems...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
So earlier today I had a conversation with an intelligent person I know and he shared the following with me. I personally do not take any credit for the below mentioned idea, but I can't help but share it because it darn sure makes sense.

Basically it comes down to this. America doesn't need to change it's gun laws...
If people were educated enough on gun use we wouldn't have the problems that we have today.
A good portion of the population who are gun owners don't go around killing people with them...
The people who do use them wrongly are usually poorly educated or insane... (more on this later)

If guns are illegal, people will still be able to get them just like all the drugs that are illegal and people still do. There is no law that will prevent people from expressing their free will.

What it comes down to is this. People need education. How does that happen? Through schools. Think of it this way.. The people who use guns in crimes are usually using them in poor neighborhoods, are insane, have some sort of vengeance they seek to fulfill, etc. Why do they feel this way? Because they were poorly educated...
This is the root of the problem. Inner city people who use guns most likely have a limited education, and the people who are insane, such as the kid the other week, are probably the kids in school who were ignored, sat by themselves, you see where im goin? So basically we know who the people are who misuse their weapons, we know their history, or understand at least the scenarios that have shaped them. The kids in school who turn out to be killers probably have years of resentment and anger that have built up inside them, the kids in the city are born into poverty, poor influence, etc. We know what causes people to do what they do. The media and gov. keep playing stupid to this when the answers and reasons are in plain sight.

So what do we do about this? We have to focus on education! We pay football players millions to entertain us every sunday night, but teachers make a meager $40k a year? Really? Are priorities are f$#@k$D...

We have to pay our teachers more, if anything they should be payed the most. They need to be trained to handle more responsibility. They need to be trained to spot the kids early who could eventually turn out to be killers. How? Well its easy, you know when a kid becomes an outkast so why not help him? There might be a bunch of redtape in getting those kids into some psychological program to restore his mental health, but thats not even what needs to be done, that only makes it worse. Teachers need to get these students and actively engage them in solving their problems so that don't hold onto that resentment and anger. They need to be re integrated into their class/ society. In regards to the inner city youth, the same approach needs to be taken. In addition, the gov. needs to step up and focus on bringing up the impoverished neighborhoods up to standards. The teachers need to be payed more so they are more willing to deal with all the bull that the deal with. Would you want to try and teach kids for $40k or less if they didn't cooperate? Heck no, If someone paid me at least six figures then I would actively figure out how to keep all the kids happy, motivated, and cooperative.

It's ashamed because the gov. doesn't want to spend any money to fix our problems and rather create new laws that are ineffective. Thats not going to do anything.... Ugggggh... I could go on but I don't feel like typing anymore. I'm sure people see where I was going with this and can continue on with the topic.

In addition;
COD Black Ops, GTA, all the shooter video games that kids play nowadays. All it does is desensitize kids and people to death and murder. As a result, whoever it is wont feel as pressed about killing someone. I'll tell ya what, I played all those games too, but because I was fortunate to be raised well, and went to decent schools and never was cast out, I know better than to go shoot somebody. I'm sure many of you would concur. Point is, you add this to the above mentioned culprits in their early stages than the problem only gets worse.

It sucks because no official or powerful figure of some sort will ever see this,

I can only pray.

Thank you for your time

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
each organization that's involved with this is having their pockets filled by different lobbyist to get their way for the benefit of future decisions. Anyway i do think that if you have kids with guns in your household you should teach the responsibilities of using a weapon at the right age. I honestly think it all boils down to bad parenting. Everyone would honestly rather point their fingers at everything and everybody else but no one is mature enough, i guess, too blame themselves.
edit on 28-12-2012 by Donahue because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

So what do we do about this? We have to focus on education! We pay football players millions to entertain us every sunday night, but teachers make a meager $40k a year? Really? Are priorities are f$#@k$D...
reply to post by youthsavior

Teachers have more vacations and full benefits then most people. I'd say they get paid enough to follow a book of instruction. hardly any thinking. i'm basing this statement off of the 40k a year. I think you are referring to high school and elementary teachers?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by youthsavior

I would reintroduce morality to the school system. Not more money. Not progressive agendas.

I would *gasp* bring religion back into the school system. Teach them right from wrong. Give the kids a solid moral foundation.

Killing is bad. It is wrong.

*caveat; for all you ATSer's who would gleefully jump on me and speak of the murders committed in the name of religion, chill. The progressive agenda is sucking lemons. Try morality for a change

(flames starts in 3. . 2. . )

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
We require training of some kind to use a car but none to use a gun. There is a start of a problem. I say if you can PROVE you are competent with a weapon you should be more than welcomed to exercise that right. If you can't hit #... then better luck qualifying next time. if you want a gun enough you will acquire the skills to pose it. Simple enough.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We have some schools here that are within churches. isn't that why they have public schools and religious schools? people have a choice to send their kids to different schools, they just not to care so they take the easiest choice public school. If you really feel uncomfortable about sending your kids to public schooling. HOME SCHOOL THEM. pretty simple, i think.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

A good start and with plenty of training on the usage of fire arms to the level of not making them sexy but like most sane people say a tool for a job then we may actually survive

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Your concepts of morality are what's holding back society. It's all subjective, there is no right or wrong, but you Americans can't deal with that, can you?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

I wonder how many serial school shooter nutjobs went to public school vs church school?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by beezzer

Your concepts of morality are what's holding back society. It's all subjective, there is no right or wrong, but you Americans can't deal with that, can you?

That's what is fueling the amoral aspects of our current culture.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by beezzer

Another non-American who wishes to play "expert" in American affairs.

Yea, and your land over there where you are from has great "concepts of morality" eh??

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
reply to post by beezzer

A good start and with plenty of training on the usage of fire arms to the level of not making them sexy but like most sane people say a tool for a job then we may actually survive

But if a person has no moral foundation, then you're just training a future killer.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by youthsavior

COD Black Ops, GTA, all the shooter video games that kids play nowadays. All it does is desensitize kids and people to death and murder.

These shooting events are coming from a MUCH HIGHER group of folks than some video-game playing kid. These are PLANNED events with the objective of influencing the public to accept itself to be DISARMED. Slowly, by slowly, shooting by shooting. That is why ARMED GUARDS and staff is needed in schools ASAP to stop this crap!!

They are PLANNED EVENTS for the purpose of influencing us to accept becoming DISARMED. And THEN, we are ALL in BIG TROUBLE when that is achieved...

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

*caveat; for all you ATSer's who would gleefully jump on me and speak of the murders committed in the name of religion, chill. The progressive agenda is sucking lemons. Try morality for a change

(flames starts in 3. . 2. . )

The Giving Tree, Dr. Seuss and good Old Mother Goose, all taught morality without religion...and it should be a priority in the educational system, just not via your methodology.

So, rather than attach an agenda to your opinion, and hope to be flamed, as you seem to want it that way, go beyond the constraints of linear thinking, otherwise you're gonna be stuck in Tool Time for good.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donahue
Anyway i do think that if you have kids with guns in your household you should teach the responsibilities of using a weapon at the right age. I honestly think it all boils down to bad parenting.

Expand on this to all forms of weaponry, from hands to firearms. Playtime [roughhouse] is an exceptional time to teach the most necessary of virtues. Temperance, compassion, control, confidence, strength, responsibility, absolute right and wrong, real vs. make believe, amongst others.

Play that starts spontaneously, always has room for lessons. In my house for example, wrestling always includes a lesson in ground fighting techniques. Or, we make bucklers out of bucket lids and lorica segmentata out of buckets and fence with a measure of PVC pipe. All play has hidden lessons in technique, and emphasis on particular virtues when required.

As the boys get older the range will be worked into the mix as well, and I will pass my tactical training on to them in this regard as well. Some may say I am training boys who will snap... no, I am raising boys to be strong, compassionate men of character and moral fiber. It is all about parenting.

Just my 2 cents.

JB

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

If morality can be taught without religious overtones then wonderful!

Rainbows!

Yippeee!

The. Current. System. Sucks.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

I still think that with the impact that teachers have on their students and the situations in schools that they should be payed more. yes. they need to be more proactive in helping there students. yeah people can blame it on bad parenting, but truth is, parents are relying on the teachers to teach their kids things they can't. whatever it is, kids will be as influenced in school as their own parents, and i think if they were paid more, they would be more willing and motivated to see all their students succeed. They shape the kids who shape our society, shouldn't they deserve more credit?

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Throw more money at teachers? The school districts keep getting more and more tax dollars, yet they keep cutting more and more programs - athletics, the arts. Where is all that money going, exactly? Education is not all about what's in books, kids need those programs. Perhaps we should first get unions and the federal government out of the "education" business and leave it to the states, and to educators themselves.

First things first with regard to education. More money isn't going to fix anything.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by marbles87
We require training of some kind to use a car but none to use a gun. There is a start of a problem. I say if you can PROVE you are competent with a weapon you should be more than welcomed to exercise that right. If you can't hit #... then better luck qualifying next time. if you want a gun enough you will acquire the skills to pose it. Simple enough.

The diference is that owning and driving a car isn't a Constitutional right, it's a privlige.

I get where you're going. I have to carry insurance and pass a road test before I can legally get behind the wheel of a potential 2,000lb killing machine.

posted on Dec, 28 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

You can teach a child what is right and wrong without having to bring religion into it.

I've met many people who came from athiest homes that know right from wrong. Religion might be a great "lesson plan/crutch" for lazy people that can't figure out what is acceptable and not acceptable in modern society.

I respect ya beezer, but religion isn't the end-all-be all here in this instance. My girlfriend was ridiculed and made to feel like crap growing up in a very expensive private Christian school. She was made to feel like mud because she wasn't as pretty or thin as the other girls. The teacher would even join in, blaming her social problems on her "lack of faith".

It's taken her years of therapy to undo the damage those crazy Christians did to her growing up in the Bible Belt.
edit on 28-12-2012 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join