It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's to Franchises: Open Doors on Christmas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
THAT is no comparison, dear. I worked for the state in a mentally disabled residence, that is different those people are a worthy cause (even without the tremendous time and a half we were paid at the state place) Mcd's food is SO NOT a worthy cause.

It was the easiest comparison I could make since that is the world I know..
Of course the Laundry place across the street from me is open and it is packed with people doing laundry.
If their is a demand for something and you are running a business then why wouldnt you be open?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

If their is a demand for something and you are running a business then why wouldnt you be open?

Most here have no idea on how a business is run.

They just think that anyone trying to make a profit are evil NWO monsters.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I'm OK with it as long as it's reduced staff (not as big of demand that day anyway) that agree to work that day with holiday pay. As long as they don't go all sweat shop on them (which, I admit they likely do).

Not everyone gets to go to a nice Christmas dinner with the family, and a good percent of those people don't cook (or really know how to for that matter) Sad, I know, but who am I to judge. Micky Ds may not always be their first choice, but hey, to a certain point beggers have to stop being choosers.

ETA: If they were smarter and less greedy, they would offer meals to the homeless too(May not be what homeless people want exactly but hey, if there isn't a soup kitchen...beggers/choosers blah blah) I bet they could even write it off as a charity tax break or something. Might even bring them good publicity for a change too.
edit on 25-12-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Personally I wouldn't be open unless I ran a hospital or something else in the healthcare industry (I would never run a hotel) But however it's always been my big dream to own a bed and breakfast so that would be open. But it's because I'd actually provide a family type meal and I would not be asking anybody outside of my family to work on the holiday, but I'd invite them to the feast. And we'd eat with them as a sort of extended family. I think I have my ideas of what businesses and such should stay open and what ones are not needed...mcd's to me is not needed, but then there are a lot of people who crave to eat their crap on Christmas, I haven't eaten it since June and don't really miss it, and have never felt better physically, even more energetic. I beleive the food is very bad for a persons body, so maybe I am old fashioned, IDK...All I can say is that I don't like wal marts policy for staying open christmas and thanksgiving and neither mcd's just personally, and would not show up at wal mart (Where it is in fact not voluntary and if you refuse and were scheduled you would lose your job) I think this is heading to a time when the same will be true at Mcd's because in my experience they're just as awful as wal mart. Anyway I guess mostly the illegals are the ones volunteering. That would be my guess.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Willing to bet it's "voluntary" as in "You don't have to come in that day, but you also don't have to stay employed".

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
Willing to bet it's "voluntary" as in "You don't have to come in that day, but you also don't have to stay employed".

Yes see, I said the same thing.
I personally know someone who worked at MCD'S and they were not nice at all, they were terrible like Wal Mart.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
There are only gas stations a few restaurants (OBVIOUSLY) and a bar open and a walgreens which closed at 6pm. The save a lot is closed, the CVS closed also at 6 and I think probably starbucks stayed open (Obvious cause drunks need to wake up for driving, lol) And supposedly all those places have paid time and a half (except the foreign run gas stations who are family owned and operated anyway) The one white man that works at the nearest one by me wasn't there tonight on his shift so even they give their employees who do celebrate it off.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I worked at Mc. Donald's as a young teenager, for a whopping 4.25 an hour. I worked my butt off for them, got down and scrubbed the floors in the basement, learned every position, and showed up on-time and clean when I was scheduled. After a month I made Crew Trainer, and after three months I made Crew Chief. They asked me to try out for the Mc. Donald's All-American team, but I declined. They also started hounding me about management a year before my eighteenth birthday, in hopes that I would consider it, but like before, I declined as I had plans to enlist.

Point is, it's a job. Most franchise owners aren't out to screw their employees. They want to make money, and they really do (despite popular belief) recognize potential in their employees. Those that don't volunteer will most likely have a job until the day they quit, unless they are a complete dirtbag, like so many entitlement-minded people expecting to make top-dollar for having no experience, no initiative, and no work ethics.

I have no competition in this job market. I'm not going to complain at all. Go on ahead and complain about how unfair your employers are, and how they screw you over. You probably deserve it.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by solidguy
Same people that are against this are the same ones stopping in for a Big-Mac (or nowadays because of the Obama economy, something off the dollar menu).

If the demand wasn't there, this wouldn't be an issue.
Exactly the same people who have nothing better to do than complain about this stuff are the same people eating the big macs and shopping for cigarettes on Christmas. The people nobody cares about, so are you really surprised nobody cares about these workers or even the people who are swindeled(forced) into going to one of these stores on christmas to feed their addiction?

and my main point was that, I'm against this practice, but I in fact do not eat fast food, and prefer everything fresh and chilled.
edit on 25-12-2012 by Maskander because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
I worked today. so did me old lady big deal

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Volunteer? I've seen and heard people flatly being told to come in on the holiday or dont come in at all.

And mcdonald's is probably the worst offender.

I can imagine the outrage if stockholders told all the corporate board and management to work a double shift on Christmas day.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
They should give out free food on Christmas.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I wish mcdonalds was open on xmas day.

Take everyone down, eat everything in site until everyone can't move. Then get back in mini van and leave.

The eat in Mcdonalds xmas day experience $ 85.00

The nothing the clean up after xmas lunch feeling.......

Priceless.....

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
What's wrong?

Are some ATSers upset because they can't get their fast-food fix on Xmas?

Well wait, that shouldn't be a problem, eh?

McDonalds = Mc#.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by UberL33t

McDonald's to Franchises: Open Doors on Christmas

By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff
Posted Dec 17, 2012 12:01 PM CST

(NEWSER) – Ho ho humbug? McDonald's is pushing its franchisees to stay open on Dec. 25, with a memo sent by corporate last month calling Christmas Day "our largest holiday opportunity," according to Ad Age. It estimates that the 6,000 restaurants that stayed open on Thanksgiving brought in about $36 million in extra sales—which comprised one percentage point of the slumping company's 2.5% bump in November sales. "Our [positive] November results were driven, in part, by our Thanksgiving Day performance," a second memo acknowledges.

I placed this in this forum as it seemingly alludes to corporate power, control and the always present greed that is relative to many NWO discussions. This just didn't sit well with me...particularly this line later in the article...

A McDonald's rep explains that "when our company-owned restaurants are open on the holidays, the staff voluntarily sign up to work. There is no regular overtime pay."

Now I can find many reasons why someone would volunteer to work on Christmas day, but, isn't Christmas a Federal holiday? I mean by one voluntarily coming in and allowing the corporation to earn an extra few million dollars that they otherwise would not have, had they closed to celebrate the holiday, they can't pay time and a half, or double time?

The comments on this article were for and against (mostly against at the time I read them) for various reasons as I am sure the replies in this thread will be.

I realize there are businesses that are going to be open on Christmas and people that happily volunteer to work as well as patron, but McDonald's, ehhh just doesn't feel right, especially for the blatant reason given is purely to gain a bigger profit. It just reeks of corporate greed to me.
edit on 12/25/2012 by UberL33t because: tags

People also get paid a lot more so if they get the choice to sit at home all alone or do a shift and get 50% to 150% more for it then who are you to fuzz about it.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
As much as i tend to agree with the OP, the reality is that having any stores of any kind open over christmas has become the norm.
I remember when i was a kid most stores (here in melbourne anyways) closed at around 12-1 pm on a saturday and didnt open until 6 am on the monday. Being open on christmas day/boxing day/easter..etc, was not an option cost wise for stores. Being in retail and looking back, that seemed like heaven.
Unfortunately it has become a vicious circle. If one store is open, thier competitor MUST be open, and religion be damned (unless one is muslim - always an excuse - in my opinion.....).
I tend to agree that only emergency professions should be the only ones working on certain public holiday, but where does it start, and where does it end?
Police, yes
Ambo's, yes
Firies, yes
but then you have the airlines running, which means pilots, which means baggage handlers, customs, maintainence, cabin crew...etc..along down the line to those of us working on fuel stations for those filling up to get to the airport.
Like i said, its a vicious circle, with no way out.
Working these public holidays is here to stay, and only those willing to work will stay employed.
Luckily for the majority of those of us working in Oz we have fair (relatively) wages and conditions.
Here's an idea to all our yank friends, ditch your slowly failing country and come live here.
Just don't mind our Dingo's or Drop Bears....

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Not everyone is Christian or celebrates Christmas. Lots of people are on the road and could use a place to get a drink or use a restroom. Lots of people don't mind working and lots of people, in all sorts of industries, businesses, and professions do, Also, the fact that something designated a holiday for federal employees doesn't mean people can't work. I don't see what the big deal is, really.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyingFox
[more
Yeah take some of that 1billion $ served and bring some food to the homeless, poor and coffee to all the old ladies and guys in the nursing home!

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaughterOfARevolver

Is building over 300 Ronald McDonald houses in 52 countries not good enough?

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Well, McDonald's is doing what almost anyone would do in today's market...whatever it takes to make a buck. Sad but true...

They are apparently forcing this new menu item on their employees first...

Enjoy...

edit on 12/26/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join