It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's to Franchises: Open Doors on Christmas

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

McDonald's to Franchises: Open Doors on Christmas

By Evann Gastaldo, Newser Staff
Posted Dec 17, 2012 12:01 PM CST

(NEWSER) – Ho ho humbug? McDonald's is pushing its franchisees to stay open on Dec. 25, with a memo sent by corporate last month calling Christmas Day "our largest holiday opportunity," according to Ad Age. It estimates that the 6,000 restaurants that stayed open on Thanksgiving brought in about $36 million in extra sales—which comprised one percentage point of the slumping company's 2.5% bump in November sales. "Our [positive] November results were driven, in part, by our Thanksgiving Day performance," a second memo acknowledges.

I placed this in this forum as it seemingly alludes to corporate power, control and the always present greed that is relative to many NWO discussions. This just didn't sit well with me...particularly this line later in the article...

A McDonald's rep explains that "when our company-owned restaurants are open on the holidays, the staff voluntarily sign up to work. There is no regular overtime pay."

Now I can find many reasons why someone would volunteer to work on Christmas day, but, isn't Christmas a Federal holiday? I mean by one voluntarily coming in and allowing the corporation to earn an extra few million dollars that they otherwise would not have, had they closed to celebrate the holiday, they can't pay time and a half, or double time?

The comments on this article were for and against (mostly against at the time I read them) for various reasons as I am sure the replies in this thread will be.

I realize there are businesses that are going to be open on Christmas and people that happily volunteer to work as well as patron, but McDonald's, ehhh just doesn't feel right, especially for the blatant reason given is purely to gain a bigger profit. It just reeks of corporate greed to me.
edit on 12/25/2012 by UberL33t because: tags

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Same people that are against this are the same ones stopping in for a Big-Mac (or nowadays because of the Obama economy, something off the dollar menu).

If the demand wasn't there, this wouldn't be an issue.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by solidguy

If the demand wasn't there, this wouldn't be an issue.

That's the scary part.

Don't get me wrong, I like a Big-Mac and fries now and then. I don't ever recall having a Big-Mac attack on Christmas day though. Personally, I would not bat an eye if McDonald's closed its doors tomorrow so I for one don't understand the allure of the food this franchise serves and I am pretty sure it's fairly unhealthy to boot..

link   
It is very sad that we are at the point where McDonalds is the cheapest way for many to feed their family these days.

link   
Funny, cause I drove by McDonald's today looking for something to eat. I don't see why they can't be open but do feel that employees should be compensated for it. Otherwise, employers would fire employees who were volunteered to come into work. I know some people will argue against it because it should be a sacred day, but Christmas became commercialized along time ago.
edit on 25-12-2012 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
mmm holiday xmas pie from mcdonalds sounds good, or a mcrib
haha goodtimes.. I am eating turkey and all the fixings though so I will pass. Just finished a nice piece of home made apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Xmas Day, 25th December is a pagan celebration that goes way back before Christianity. REAL Christians should'nt even be celebrating Xmas Day so whats the problem with any business open on this day?
edit on 25-12-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Should have used the original source on this, seems the one you've used has cherry picked here and there...

For example:

So are employees paid more to work holidays? Ms. Oldani said she can't speak for franchisees, but "when our company-owned restaurants are open on the holidays, the staff voluntarily sign up to work. There is no regular overtime pay."

As apposed to:

A McDonald's rep explains that "when our company-owned restaurants are open on the holidays, the staff voluntarily sign up to work. There is no regular overtime pay."

I also don't see why there's even an issue here? The franchisees get $95 of the profits they take, why wouldn't they do as much as possible to make their business a success?

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I work for McDonalds in Australia and I'd have no problem with them being open x-mass day, I'd even do a shift in the late afternoon or x-mass night.

But only because they pay us about $50 per hour to work on public holidays. (21 $/hr on a normal day).

Remember that for some people and cultures x-mass day means about as much as what Ramadan or Chinese new year means for me.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Marley is rolling in his grave, Dear SCROOGE almighty!

What a^%wipes and they don't get holiday pay either. No more to say that won't get me banned.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
I work for McDonalds in Australia and I'd have no problem with them being open x-mass day, I'd even do a shift in the late afternoon or x-mass night.

But only because they pay us about $50 per hour to work on public holidays. (21 $/hr on a normal day).

McDonalds pays considerably less than that here in the US.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Read my post above.

A lot of franchises will pay penalty rates.

And why are you getting upset?

When an employee signs up, they are told and agree to all the things like overtime, penalty rates etc etc.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
mmm holiday xmas pie from mcdonalds sounds good, or a mcrib
haha goodtimes.. I am eating turkey and all the fixings though so I will pass. Just finished a nice piece of home made apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top

MMM I had ham and asparagus and mac and cheese and dinner rolls cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie with whipped cream on top...not to mention the appetizers before hand...
Sure beats mcd's

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
In America holiday pay is time and a half as is anything over 40.. So if you normally work for say 8 an hour at mc'ds you'd be paid at 12 an hour... Who cares if mcdonalds is open on what ever day they want to be.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Xmas Day, 25th December is a pagan celebration that goes way back before Christianity. REAL Christians should'nt even be celebrating Xmas Day so whats the problem with any business open on this day?
edit on 25-12-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

We pagans resent that, we are not supposed to work on our holidays (that also goes waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy back before christianity) THAT'S WHY!!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I work in a Children's Hospital and their is no such thing as a federal holiday for us or our patients. Doctors, Nurses, Support Staff and IT are working today like they will be on New Years Day...

As for the MCDs..It makes sense, so many other competing stores are closed that they could probably make a billion dollars today.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I for one wouldn't volunteer, they could voluntarily kiss me arse.

But I'm sure those that are asked and turn it down probably end up jobless come New Year's you can't beleive the garbage they are trying to tell you in this article can You????

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
I work in a Children's Hospital and their is no such thing as a federal holiday for us or our patients. Doctors, Nurses, Support Staff and IT are working today like they will be on New Years Day...

As for the MCDs..It makes sense, so many other competing stores are closed that they could probably make a billion dollars today.

THAT is no comparison, dear. I worked for the state in a mentally disabled residence, that is different those people are a worthy cause (even without the tremendous time and a half we were paid at the state place) Mcd's food is SO NOT a worthy cause.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

McDonald's here was open til midnight last night and re-opened at 3pm today. I just returned from picking up someone who works there, and I had to circle the block 4 times just to get into the parking lot!

When I was growing up absolutely nothing was open on Christmas day. As I drove through town awhile ago very few places were closed. I don't like it! People should be able to count on at least one day a year that they can spend with their families without having to be bothered with going to work. I guess that's just asking for too much anymore. It's very disheartening!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

So the average store than employs 40-60 people will sack the 75% that don't/can't volunteer?

What if there are more volunteers than there are available positions for the day? Do those that miss out still get sacked?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join