It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quitting smoking. Christmas Eve. Day ZERO

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Quitting smoking is no fun.

I put my rant into the above video.

Can I get a little Christmas Day love/support/hugs?

C'mon party people!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NewThor7

wow i just started smoking, I hope i can quit soon

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Lol, man, I've never wanted anyone to fail at quitting smoking but I also don't want you to stop making videos. I quit smoking about 6 years ago and you're right about the cravings. I can tell you that it stop becoming a physical craving and more of craving of an old habit. I can also tell you that exercising was a HUGE help to me when I quit. I really do wish you success. I also look forward to your videos. Stay strong!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Good luck! I, officially, have 6 more days before I quit. Going to go live in a garbage can for a couple days.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

Thank you sir! Merry Christmas!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
Good luck! I, officially, have 6 more days before I quit. Going to go live in a garbage can for a couple days.

6 days? Then smoke 'em if you got 'em.

And watch out for the eating to compensate.

It'll sneak up on ya fast.

It's way easier to gain 40 lbs, than lose 40 lbs.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
10 months here. Good luck! You have to truely want to quit.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You either do it or you don't, and you don't gripe about it but love the fact that you've decided to not be stupid. I've read that almost everyone who stops smoking does it cold turkey, and doesn't "wean" themselves off it. You finally realize that the stove is hot, and don't touch it anymore. As for the "I'll quit in six days" poster, if you want to quit and really mean it you just do it, and happily. People will crave the nicotine until the body adjusts to its absence and heals itself - then food tastes better, the air smells cleaner, and dogs will like you again. You've given yourself a great Christmas gift - congratulations.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Great video!

But I'm going to be honest here. You mentioned the fact that your mother wanted you to quit.... Well, my husband and son begged me to quit for years, and no matter how hard I tried I was never able to succeed

I loved smoking! I loved my first cigarette in the morning with my cup of coffee, I loved having a cigarette after every meal, and I most definitely loved my cigarette while drinking.

But one day I was outside... Having a smoke of course, and I thought, hmmm... I'm going to try and quit. For me. I enjoyed every single puff of that last cigarette. Right after, I went out to buy an electronic cigarette and started my journey. I've been smoke free for just about 9 months now and feel great!

Anyhow, the point to all this is that you have to quit for you. Not because your family or friends want or asked you too but because YOU want to.

I very much look forward to your next video diary and hope you succeed

Good luck!

Oh, one last thing, may I suggest a change of diet... I gained 15lbs within a month. Took me a while to loose it.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Good job. Next month makes 1 year, smoke free. I must mention, this is after a 13 year habit, with a few attempts to quit. As stated above, you have to quit for yourself, that's the only way you can kick it totally. I like to test myself, to see if I can refrain from certain things, be it giving up a food, to not shaving for an amount of time.....just to remind myself that I'm in control, and these things help build up the minds strength to be resilient.

Next month makes a year of not smoking, and the stop of a year of heavy drinking. I was sitting outside, smoking. It was cold and wet. I was thinking, "I don't want to be out here!" but the cigarette had ME out there. That's when I realized I had lost control.

I found that once I pit it in my mind that I didn't want it, I associated it with just being a "bad feeling".....and the thought of it is now associated with a hangover, in my mind. It's like I fused the bad feelings to the habit, and let it go. Even for the holidays, the family was having some nice wine, and a couple of drinks, I didn't touch it. I say that to say, "don't cheat, because you are cheating only yourself." Trying to ween off is weak. If you decide to stop, break each cigarette, thinking about shortness of breath, coughing, blackening lungs and innards. You can tie those bad feelings with the bad habit....lit it down and walk away.

I personally didn't replace with food. I actually started an all raw food diet, and that in itself made me feel better, and on top of not smoking, SO much better. So, I killed the habit with the idea of how to get the correct nutrients I needed.

Best of luck to you in your quitting. Remember....It's not a long process, its a firm decision!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I quit smoking in 2005, you have my support! Here is a ((hug)). One minute at a time is all you need to look at. Chew gum, I crunched on ice, it helped. Go! Go Go! You can do it! You are bigger and stronger and better than a nasty habit!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Good luck to you Thor! This will be one of the toughest battles in your life. Took me 4 good tries before I "kicked the habit". Unfortunately, I found the bottle. On my 3rd try kicking this thing.

Merry Christmas to you all!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
10 months here. Good luck! You have to truely want to quit.

Especially since the tobacco is mostly flue-dried and filled with pesticides. Pure, air-dried tobacco is easy to quit and beneficial for health in small doses, but there's too much money to be had.

Best of luck OP. To quit smoking now depends on will power, something that I lack and hope that you will strengthen after this experience.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

edit on 25-12-2012 by DelayedChristmas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Just think..

No more smelling nasty
No more gross taste in your mouth
No more random ash burns (unless I'm the only one with several tiny holes in many of my shirts..?)
No more needing to strategize how you'll get through something that's longer than a couple hours (airplanes, etc)
No more SPENDING A # LOAD OF MONEY ON THINGS THAT BURN INTO ASH
No more slowly killing yourself and being gross and unhealthy all the way to the grave

This is getting me motivated to quit.. thanks!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I actually decided to quit today to. I had half a pack last night, smoked one and it made me feel like crap so instead of just throwing them away, where I can go back and get them, I ran them under the faucet first.
My only challenge is not smoking when I drink beer..

GL to you.

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Wow. Thank you everyone for all the love and support!
What an awesome Merry Christmas!
I wake up to snow in Texas and nothing but love from ATS!
God bless everyone!

I stayed up all night editing and uploading the video,
so I slept in late,
but today I feel like I could conquer the world!

It is a magical day!

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewThor7
God bless everyone!

so I slept in late,

It is a magical day!

Lucky.. We wont get any down here in S. Texas

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by NewThor7
God bless everyone!

so I slept in late,

It is a magical day!

Lucky.. We wont get any down here in S. Texas

Watch out for Tornados!

Stay safe and enjoy the day.

So glad didn't end 12-21-2012

:p

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Go for it and good luck to you. It was very easy for me after 40 years of smoking - I had a heart attack - SOOOO easy when the choice is made for you. The hardest part of stopping is making the decision to stop!

Don't wait until you don't have the choice - you may not survive it!

Think of it as losing an old friend who wasn't very good to you. DUMP IT!

Here's your hug (HUG)

posted on Dec, 25 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I quit about 7 months ago. When you really want to quit, it's not that difficult. But I still feel the urge every once in a while.

Christmas Eve seems like a bad day to do it. You'd have cigarettes on your mind all day Christmas, kind of ruining the holiday. Then you have New Years Eve less than a week later. I'd say it'd be best to quit on New years eve, and not have any as soon as that clock turns to 2013.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join