It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AFL = Australian Football League = Awesome

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I was browsing the interwebs when I came across a video, for someone like me, who wasn't too familiar with the AFL...

All I can say is...Now, that's a Sport, hats off to Australia and the AFL

It starts with a bounce...

AFK.com.au

The Australian Football League (AFL) is the highest-level professional competition in the sport of Australian Football. Through the AFL Commission, the AFL also serves as the sport's governing body, and is responsible for controlling the Laws of the Game. The league was founded as the Victorian Football League (VFL) in 1897, consisting of eight breakaway teams from the Victorian Football Association

source
Enjoy, sports fans, but even if you're not a sports fan, these plays are just crazy.

SS

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

I'm Australian. AFL is a bit of a joke everywhere except Victoria. We like to call it "aerial ping pong". I'm not a sports fan in the slightest but I much prefer a good League game any day

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperZepto

Seems to me, it would, or does I should say, require a lot of skill to play this game and make these plays.

Why is it considered to be a joke?

These guys are nuts, in the good way.

SS
edit on 22-12-2012 by Spike Spiegle because: spells

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I have played Aussie Footy all my life and its awesome.. You must be from NSW or QLD because AFL is huge in VIC, SA and WA and this isn't a joke

edit on 22-12-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy

Haha I'm from Canberra where bloody OzTag is bigger than AFL!

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Typical comment from a fan of Bum sniffing, Mate you are so uninformed it boggles the mind.
Aussie Rules is played at a Professional level in every state in Australia,
Aerial ping pong is crap, far more to the game than that. You people from NSW are to stubborn to accept AFL is a far superior Game than Thugby.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Totally agree with you mate, I played over 400 games from age 9 to 36 when my knees started to give me dramas.
AFL is probably the most underrated sport in the world, I have nothing against Thugby Union or League, I think their both fine sports but the bashing AFL gets from tools North of the border is unwarranted and un - Australian.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

If you prefer Rugby league you're definitely not a sports fan

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

I think they just get jealous because we have the best sport in the world and kick their butts at theirs at the same time
I will watch the Melbourne Storm anytime. But I like heaps of sports.. NFL is a great tactical game and I can watch that all day.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Me as well, Thats the beauty of Melbourne. We come out in support of any sport. I think the Storm get bigger crowds than any of the other NRL sides, and AFL dwarfs the crowds the Storm get.
I think NSWelshman suffer from a weird form of Xenophobia and are jealous of anything or anyone from Victoria.
It goes for the cricket as well, any Victorian has to work far harder to get a test cap than a NSW player, when they first represent NSW thay are also given a baggy green in a brown paper bag just in case.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I just saw your clip, that was a cheap shot on Simpson. The most underrated player at Carlton. I am also a huge fan of the Bluebaggers, I am actually a Fourth generation Carlton supporter and my 17 year old daughter is fifth generation. Not a fan of Malthouse but he may give us a better defensive structure than what we've had in recent years. I think we should play finals in 2013.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

I don't follow Carlton, I just used that video to show how tough our sport actually is. I am a born Victorian who is one eyed West Coast.. From the minute they entered the league, I have followed them and now my 6 year old loves them also.. BTW, thatnks for stealing Judd
When it comes to the Vic sides, I go for anyone playing Collingwood. I don't know why but I f#ing hate that football club

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Could be worse, this could be about cricket.

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend
Could be worse, this could be about cricket.

The only cricket I can watch is 20/20. Nothing worse than watching a guy block for 6 hours only to make 50 runs and go out

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Hey I'm not from NSW! From the fine Australian Capital Territory where the true blue sports of Rugby League and Cricket are played

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

You think that's worse than a bunch of grown men running around in short shorts with shaved legs and chests tackling and wrestling each other in the dirt for a big ball?

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperZepto

You think that's worse than a bunch of grown men running around in short shorts with shaved legs and chests tackling and wrestling each other in the dirt for a big ball?

Hey, Rugby is pretty boring also if you want to be like that
Pass and run, pass and run, kick to the other team, pass and run.. Bite someones ear off..

posted on Dec, 22 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperZepto

Hey I'm not from NSW! From the fine Australian Capital Territory where the true blue sports of Rugby League and Cricket are played

Once again Victoria are whooping butt in the cricket, and the Big Bash. We are just are absolute machines when it comes to sport. Yous can have the soccer for this year but the Victory will be there next year. Storm will run rings around the NRL again next year, West Coast will win the AFL

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
When our sports channel started up in the 80's(Canada) they showed ARF. I was hooked. Then they grew and dropped it. Bastards. So how are my Demons doing?

posted on Dec, 23 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
When our sports channel started up in the 80's(Canada) they showed ARF. I was hooked. Then they grew and dropped it. Bastards. So how are my Demons doing?

I take it your talking about the AFL? Melbourne Demons? If so, they have struggled for the past 4-5 years. Haven't played finals for over a decade but they shouldn't be a bad team this year.. They picked up some experienced recruits so it will be interesting to see how they go.
edit on 23-12-2012 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join