It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday re-scheduled? Archaeological record suggests Mayan Armageddon is Sunday

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
YAY!! Doom on!! I love it. If/when Sunday doesn't happen, what will be the next date associated with the Mayans?

Therefore the Mayan calendar's cycle, which some argue marks the end of days, might correspond to Sunday instead of the widely-rumored Friday, Carmen Rojas, an archaeologist with Mexico’s National Institute of Anthropology and History has revealed to the Los Angeles Times.

Link

What say you?

+11 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Get back to your bunkers!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I know this song, I think.
Same smell, different pile.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
While everyone was pre-occupied with today ( Dec.21), if it happened on Sunday, would that not fit into the "comes like a thief in the night" crowd?

ps- Love it.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixlights321

I just unpacked everything back into my house though!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

False.
the mayans never accounted for leap years, their calendar shoulda ended 7 years ago

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

How would it come like a thief in the night when this genius just told us it's Sunday? Foiled again! I guess it will have to be another day.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

They never had to account for leap years. We correlated their calendar to ours. They also didn't have "mondays". Although I don't subscribe to the Mayan calendar theory, this one argument against it is one of the worst ones, only because people don't think about it.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenixlights321

Damn. I knew I should have kept it to myself!

link   
Awe man, we just ate some of our MRE's for dinner. And it was spaghetti and had a fun size skittles. What a waste.

link   
Seriously? this Sunday? did they mention how?
I am not sure which is worse these so called people not understanding that they not only making fool's of themselves but also that there is a possibility that they got the whole thing wrong? or we are the idiots who keep on reading and posting about the topic.....

link   
SIGH

Here we go again.

Headbang.
edit on 21-12-2012 by Charmeine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocks123

I was getting pretty sad that I wouldn't be able to read anymore Mayan Doom threads...then I saw this! I wonder what the people that thought this would be over today are thinking now?

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Its over now guys! No new date or nothing its fuggin over! Even I had little hope that maybe we would be "surprised" by the day or whatever but we were not! Not in the least! Its over let it go!

+10 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenOhhTwo

Oh. There's a new date alright. It's not over until the fat Mayan sings.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Doomsday re-scheduled?

Just as the world sighs in relief at having escaped the Mayan Armageddon, the ancient prophesy may still hold true.
I hate the media.

may have been modified throughout history to suit the cultural or political interests of the day
What else is new? History is written by the victors anyway.

ends on Sunday, while others say it might be off by a full year or more.
Convenient.

But, here's a video from 2007 stating Sunday the 23rd as well: www.liveleak.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Funny thing is last night I had a dream that Sunday was actually the important date. Not saying it's anything more than a dream but the title made me laugh when I saw it.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rocks123
Seriously? this Sunday? did they mention how?
I am not sure which is worse these so called people not understanding that they not only making fool's of themselves but also that there is a possibility that they got the whole thing wrong? or we are the idiots who keep on reading and posting about the topic.....

Here is how it came about.

Usually, the winter solstice occurs on the 21 December, but that can shift for the same reasons we have leap years: the Earth takes 365.25 days to orbit the sun, but the Gregorian calendar has only 365 days so each year the solstice is pushed back by around six hours.
"At extreme ends of the four year calendrical cycle the solstice can sometimes get shunted into the early hours of the 22nd, as it does this year. Next year is a leap year, which resets the calendar so that the winter solstice will fall on the 21st again," said Marek Kukula at the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, London.

The winter solstice happens because the Earth does not spin upright, but on an axis 23.5 degrees from vertical. As the Earth orbits the sun, it reaches the moment of winter solstice when the north pole is tilted furthest from the sun, making it the shortest day of the year.
The winter solstice is as far south as the sun ever gets, shining directly overhead along the Tropic of Capricorn, 23.5 degrees south of the equator.

This year's winter solstice – which marks the shortest day of the year – is on 22 December.
The official onset of winter and the beginning of the end for long, dark nights in the northern hemisphere is marked by the winter solstice, which is this year at 5.30am (GMT)

Eastern standard time is five hours ahead of Greenwich mean time. I had posted this info about a week ago but no one seemed interesred they were too busy debating the 21.

Br Ben

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Hello All,

Anyone who really researched this joke would have seen that we had already crossed the galactic plane 3,000,000 years ago. Now be good little doomers and go sit with Harold Camping's losers.

+14 more 
posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join