It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday re-scheduled? Archaeological record suggests Mayan Armageddon is Sunday

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
YAY!! Doom on!! I love it. If/when Sunday doesn't happen, what will be the next date associated with the Mayans?

Therefore the Mayan calendar's cycle, which some argue marks the end of days, might correspond to Sunday instead of the widely-rumored Friday, Carmen Rojas, an archaeologist with Mexico’s National Institute of Anthropology and History has revealed to the Los Angeles Times.

Link

What say you?

Shut the front door ! !!!!!!!!

I can't handle someone getting my hopes up again. This has gone far enough and I'm declaring an end to all doom and all the gloomy lil flatulators . (not a an actual word). Because I get it now ! And the miracle I've received you can all have it too. And I have to tell you it really is better than I've felt, in a long, long time. It really is, so Merry Christmas everybody.

Good lord I wanna make a thread.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
This isn't exactly a new development. There's always been a debate over whether the GMT correlation or the GMT +2 correlation is more accurate. In the end though odds are both are wrong.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
What say you?

I read months ago that some Mayanists believed the date was December 23, not 21, so I never bought into the idea that anyone knew when the calendar "runs out". There's even apparently a possibility that an event used in the calculation of the date may have been misidentified, thus leading to the date being off by at least 60 days (although I think the evidence for that possible miscalculation is fairly weak).

I never thought anything was going to happen, but I've always been prepared to wait at least till Christmas, if not January 1st, before saying "I told you so".

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
If Sunday will end all the 2012 apocalypse threads, then I say 'bring it on.'

There was a thread going around about a week ago that asked' what would happen when the 21st came and went'... and I posted that the believers would just push back the date, and pick a later date in the future and then pick a new date (all the same thing).

well, here we go.

yes 2012, I'm ready!!

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Serious end time like stuff is coming. We will not know the time. It will be a complete suprise, it'll come out and grab ya! You won't have some eons old prophecy to guide you. You won't have an early warning.

Our existance here is failing. We are at a point in our evolution where we deserve no better. Look at the growing evil in this world. It gains traction every day. We are doomed. We have a bleak future at best.

The majority of our conscioness is spent as a whole on meaninglessness.

It may not be planet X, or the Mayans, or even the NWO that kills us. It will be us. It will be our focus of things insignificant. Money, power, God, the overwhelming desire to be "right".

We will face an end times, but the source will be us. It will be soon.

*disclaimer* I have been drinking. So... yeah.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The Mayan calender does not END. It ROLLS OVER. This is just one unit of their time. If everytime a year ended we said the world was ending, you would think that would be rediculous.
edit on 21-12-2012 by GhostyMew because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11
So no matter what, people refuse to acknowledge that the Mayans never predicted doom.

Who says they did? First, a "change" doesn't have to be "doom", and second, it doesn't even have to be a "prediction". If I say that tomorrow an apple from my fridge will be eaten, knowing full well that I plan on eating an apple tomorrow, then when I eat one tomorrow it's not really a prediction, is it? Just a statement beforehand of what I'm going to do after.

I've always thought that had the end of the calendar really been something, that it would just be a statement of something planned (and therefore not a "prediction"). If aliens told the Maya that they were coming back December 21 (or 23), 2012, then it's not a prediction.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by six67seven

If the 2012 believers get really desperate there was a correlation that was widely accepted for a few years that puts the end of the 13th baktun in January.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddog5595

I vaguely remember reading that too. It would be kind of ironic after skeptics have had their 2 days worth of laughter.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

will you give it a break already? How many times do we have to beat this dead animal? It's not going to happen quit being so gullible with everything you read on the internet.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostyMew
The Mayan calender does not END. It ROLLS OVER. This is just one unit of their time. If everytime a year ended we said the world was ending, you would think that would be rediculous.
edit on 21-12-2012 by GhostyMew because: (no reason given)

There are only 13 b'ak'tuns, which is plainly evident by the Maya giving their FIRST day a number that makes most sense as a LAST day: 13.0.0.0.0. Now, that said, it does make sense that by giving that first day that number, that the last day is just the last day of a cycle that rolls over to 13.0.0.0.0 again. However, because there's no digit after the 13, it just makes logical sense that "rolling over" is something fantastic, like a "reboot".

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hello All,

The graph depicts what are known as Milankovitch Cycles. Every 100,000 years the earth warms up-BRIEFLY. Then plunges into an ice Maximum. At the right of the graph is where we are and have been for the last 11-12,000 years. If you want a doom and gloom senario that is truly real then try this one on for size. It makes all the other freak shows pale in comparison. Imagine 7-8 billion people trying to survive temperatures 9C colder than now. How come no one is starting threads on this little nightmare:

edit on 21-12-2012 by hiflier because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolStoryMan

This is not true in the slightest. We get the word month, from the word moon. If you count them, there are 13 full moons a year. A woman will have 13 menstrual cycles. Leap year only exists because Pope Gregory and Julius Ceasar screwed it up due to 13 being unlucky. 13 months of 28 days, would give you 364 days with one day to celebrate before the new year. This is a calendar harmonious with nature:

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well still all good here the blast doors on this place don't open till Christmas

Just kiddin

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Nope.

Synodic period of the Moon is 29.53 days. Orbital period of the Earth is 365.25 days. So we get 12.39 full Moons a year. In other words there are usually 12 full Moons but sometimes 13 (seven times in every 19 years, that's when we get two in one month, a "blue moon" according to modern usage). Can't make a lunar calendar match a Solar calendar no matter how hard you try.
www.skyandtelescope.com...
edit on 12/21/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I hope everyone has ample leftovers from today's armageddon parties. They should still be good on Sunday as long as you keep them in the fridge.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Depends on which dimension you are in as for me... well look above however in my reality we already have time travel so I made it back to post this message from the trusted BBC network.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Nah they've officially worked out what day the Mayan calender was referring to ~ 1st of April

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
This isn't exactly a new development. There's always been a debate over whether the GMT correlation or the GMT +2 correlation is more accurate. In the end though odds are both are wrong.

I know, it always been either the 21st or the 23rd.
here's some more info.

We're not out of the water yet

Most Mayanist scholars, such as Mark Van Stone and Anthony Aveni, adhere to the "GMT (Goodman-Martinez-Thompson) correlation" with the Long Count, which places the start date at 11 August 3114 BC and the end date of b'ak'tun 13 at 21 December 2012.

This date was also the overwhelming preference of those who believed in 2012 eschatology, arguably, Van Stone suggests, because it was a solstice, and was thus astrologically significant. Some Mayanist scholars, such as Michael D. Coe, Linda Schele and Marc Zender, adhere to the "Lounsbury/GMT+2" correlation, which sets the start date at 13 August and the end date at 23 December. Which of these is the precise correlation has yet to be conclusively settled.

Coe's initial date was "24 December 2011." He revised it to "11 January AD 2013" in the 1980 2nd edition of his book,[168] not settling on 23 December 2012 until the 1984 3rd edition.[169] The correlation of b'ak'tun 13 as 21 December 2012 first appeared in Table B.2 of Robert J. Sharer's 1983 revision of the 4th edition of Sylvanus Morley's book The Ancient Maya (Morley 1983, p. 603, Table B2).

link

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Not even Harold Camping extended his deadline.

Do you sometimes feel like in church and its the closing song at the end of the service? All you want to do is get out of there and go home but some Choir director keeps you in your seat clamoring for the music section to repeat the last stanza, One_Morrre_Time!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join