It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sheer Apathy of 12/21/12

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I made this thread a couple of days ago asking for responses about how people are reacting in the real world about this date. Now, with less than 48 hours to go, I've noticed something really disturbing: NOBODY is talking about this date in the real world. In fact, even on the Internet, more people seem to be interested in the recent Sandy Hook shooting than a prophecy 46 years in the making.

One could make the argument that there being little talk of this date means humanity has "grown up" and won't repeat the same mistakes it made for Y2K and Harold Camping's prediction. For instance, all the shelves at my local Walmart are still stocked, and there aren't groups of people everywhere with signs saying the world will end. However, it is said that when you have overcome your pain, you can laugh about it, and I'm seeing quite the contrary. Over the past week, whenever I've tried to bring up this date, either seriously or in jest, people just completely ignore it. They don't even laugh about it or ridicule it anymore. It's the strangest thing.

Is this just in the area I live in, or are you all experiencing this as well?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Because only conspiracy nuts that go on conspiracy sites think anything will happen. The rest of the world knows that it's BS.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Do you know why there is apathy and people are more focused on the shooting? I'll give you a hint: The shooting is an event that actually occurred, the Mayan fairy tale prophecy is an event that is of fiction (or at least as how we as a mainstream society have falsely interpreted it ) .

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Was eating lunch at a cafe today and it said "If the world ends while you are dining the meal is on us" on the blackboard. Made me chuckle.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

That is a two way street..."oh he who speaks for humanity"...

Maybe the collective unconsciousness of humanity will finaly scream for attention...maybe it won't.

I tell ya what...if the bulk of humanity is ignoring something...you better pay attention to it...

I once had a holy man tell me "if you look at the world and they seem to be moving in one direction...if you turn and walk in the opposite direction...you will come far closer to the truth"...

He is correct of course. it is convenient and pleasant to think that "nothing" is going to happen. It is dead brains and empty skulls like this that make me pray for thunder...that something will knock these mainstream sheep off their perches and make them face the reality that "anything" is possible.

I lost all respect for the previous poster...he has no mind other than the one programmed into him....what a sad state of reality he must live in.

All things are possible...even in quantum physics....if you throw a ball up in the air enough times....sooner or later there will come a time that it does not come down....a mathematical fact....

go ahead...read and learn...it is all about statistics....sooner or later...the absolute opposite of what you think should happen...will happen....

but all of these backyard "Einsteins" seem to ignore the statistics they like to use...if you embrace part of the equation...you must accept the whole thing...and that is...nothing is 100% accurate....sooner or later...the other side of the coin "will" show up.....if you think you live in a balanced and law filled universe...sooner or later the element of chaos WILL show it's face....are you ready for that ...oh ye who are so smug?
edit on 12/19/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I could think of about 20 responses to that, but I think your avatar is trolling me, so I'll refrain.

reply to post by Myomistress

What's funny is that people who argue that the shooting didn't take place and that it was all staged by our government to bring about stricter gun laws are taken more seriously than most 2012 doomsday believers despite both having the same amount of factual evidence.

reply to post by homeslice

If somebody put up a sign like that in my area, it'd be down in a hour. People are so sensitive where I live.

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
it is convenient and pleasant to think that "nothing" is going to happen.

It's quite the opposite for a lot of people. For some, "nothing" could end up being financial ruin, loss of respect, and realization that you have wasted n amount of years on "nothing." Of course, we all know that "something" will happen. Whether it is one of the predictions about the date coming to pass or the suicides and advantage-taking by the government after said date, "something" will definitely happen.
edit on 12/19/2012 by SonicInfinity because: Minor fix

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   

That is a two way street..."oh he who speaks for humanity"...

Maybe the collective unconsciousness of humanity will finaly scream for attention...maybe it won't.

I tell ya what...if the bulk of humanity is ignoring something...you better pay attention to it...

I once had a holy man tell me "if you look at the world and they seem to be moving in one direction...if you turn and walk in the opposite direction...you will come far closer to the truth"...

He is correct of course. it is convenient and pleasant to think that "nothing" is going to happen. It is dead brains and empty skulls like this that make me pray for thunder...that something will knock these mainstream sheep off their perches and make them face the reality that "anything" is possible.

I lost all respect for the previous poster...he has no mind other than the one programmed into him....what a sad state of reality he must live in.

All things are possible...even in quantum physics....if you throw a ball up in the air enough times....sooner or later there will come a time that it does not come down....a mathematical fact....

go ahead...read and learn...it is all about statistics....sooner or later...the absolute opposite of what you think should happen...will happen....

but all of these backyard "Einsteins" seem to ignore the statistics they like to use...if you embrace part of the equation...you must accept the whole thing...and that is...nothing is 100% accurate....sooner or later...the other side of the coin "will" show up.....if you think you live in a balanced and law filled universe...sooner or later the element of chaos WILL show it's face....are you ready for that ...oh ye who are so smug?
edit on 12/19/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

Or maybe it's BS and most people realise it. Anything could happen at an extremely low chance... but there's no reason for it to happen on the 21st more than there is on any other day. If by some massive coincidence that the world ended tomorrow then it would be the luckiest guess in history, that's it. I'll take my chances and say it's BS.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I keep thinking of the 1st Thessalonians verse

While they are saying, "Peace and safety!" then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape.

I know, I know......nobody is really saying that they feel safe and peaceful today, but still my mind turns this verse over and over.

edit on 12/19/12 by jennybee35 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonicInfinity
more people seem to be interested in the recent Sandy Hook shooting than a prophecy 46 years in the making.

Well supposedly the Mayans are older than 46 years. Then you have those who tie-in Nostradamus and reference the Hopi Indians.

One could make the argument that there being little talk of this date means humanity has "grown up" and won't repeat the same mistakes it made for Y2K and Harold Camping's prediction.

Y2K was actually a legitimate possibility and concern due to technical short sightedness & over site on the programers part but I never took all the gloom and doom seriously on that one either.

For instance, all the shelves at my local Walmart are still stocked, and there aren't groups of people everywhere with signs saying the world will end. However, it is said that when you have overcome your pain, you can laugh about it, and I'm seeing quite the contrary. Over the past week, whenever I've tried to bring up this date, either seriously or in jest, people just completely ignore it. They don't even laugh about it or ridicule it anymore. It's the strangest thing.

We laughed, We cried, We took some pictures.
Time to move on.

edit on 19-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Is this just in the area I live in, or are you all experiencing this as well?

12/21/12 is not an issue. Not for me, my wife and most other people.

People on ATS who see stars twinkling and assume it must be a precursor for supernovas happening on 12/21 are THANKFULLY still not the norm in "real life". At least some people are still sane. If you are already at the point of projecting your ATS/conspiracy etc. stories into the real world I'd advise to take a break...it's NOT a good sign.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Of course if we're going by bible verse, we could also state the whole "No one shall know the hour or the day as it will come like a thief in the night" thing.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

I absolutely agree. I don't think this verse refers to Jesus' return or Armageddon. It just states 'destruction'. That can come in any form, assumedly.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Of course you will...that is the safe road to walk. I am not meaning you are a bad person for thinking that mainstream will continue....I am just disappointed that you do not see the universe for what it is....chaos...abslute chaos...that we..silly humans...are trying to impose order upon. Sometimes it listens...and sometimes it does not. I am not a fan of remarkable things happening....as a student of science...I want people to open their minds. The truth is...we have been measure crap for a really short amount of time. We like to think we have all the basics in order and...maybe we do. But occasionally...something pops up that we have zero explanation for. We are so virginal in our exploration of reality....each time something new pops up we kinda freak out.

Dude...I get where the mainstream comes from...it is solid...it is comfortable....it is easy to deal with. I also...from study and a little personal experience....know that certain shiz happens that is not so easy to label.....so what do we do?

I get a "hunch"...it has absolutely no foundation in fact....based on the other crap that I have experienced...I kinda feel like maybe I should pay attention to it.....

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

I could think of about 20 responses to that, but I think your avatar is trolling me, so I'll refrain.

lol yeah when I see that avatar I keep scrolling...I try to get to know the avatars of trolls and pseudo-skeptics so I can ignore them, since ATS doesn't see fit to provide an ignore list...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Of course you will...that is the safe road to walk. I am not meaning you are a bad person for thinking that mainstream will continue....I am just disappointed that you do not see the universe for what it is....chaos...abslute chaos...that we..silly humans...are trying to impose order upon. Sometimes it listens...and sometimes it does not. I am not a fan of remarkable things happening....as a student of science...I want people to open their minds. The truth is...we have been measure crap for a really short amount of time. We like to think we have all the basics in order and...maybe we do. But occasionally...something pops up that we have zero explanation for. We are so virginal in our exploration of reality....each time something new pops up we kinda freak out.

Dude...I get where the mainstream comes from...it is solid...it is comfortable....it is easy to deal with. I also...from study and a little personal experience....know that certain shiz happens that is not so easy to label.....so what do we do?

I get a "hunch"...it has absolutely no foundation in fact....based on the other crap that I have experienced...I kinda feel like maybe I should pay attention to it.....

I'll have to remember to post an "I told you so" reply tomorrow then...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

lol yeah when I see that avatar I keep scrolling...I try to get to know the avatars of trolls and pseudo-skeptics so I can ignore them, since ATS doesn't see fit to provide an ignore list...

Or maybe it's to ignore reason and rational thinking.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Oh man...I hope you are right...but on the other hand...I hope you get a slap...you are not all knowing...you do not know what tomorrow brings....you deserve to be broken for your arrogance...you know nothing

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

if you embrace part of the equation...you must accept the whole thing...and that is...nothing is 100% accurate....sooner or later...the other side of the coin "will" show up.....if you think you live in a balanced and law filled universe...sooner or later the element of chaos WILL show it's face....are you ready for that ...oh ye who are so smug?

Isn't that called life?

We deal with the mundane day after day then something happens [Volcanoes, Tsunamis, Earthquakes, devastating hurricanes and floods] and we react, adapt and move on.

Seems we humans have been doing that exact thing since the beginning.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Well supposedly the Mayans are older than 46 years. Then you have those who tie-in Nostradamus and reference the Hopi Indians.

I've actually been trying to find some legitimate sources that show that some group other than the Mayans predicted the specific date of 12/21/12, but I've found nothing. The closest thing I could find was the I Ching, but even that is still debated on.

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Y2K was actually a legitimate possibility and concern due to technical short sightedness & over site on the programers part but I never took all the gloom and doom seriously on that one either.

It was a legitimate possibility to an extent. Could banks and other places that rely on dates have had problems? Yes. Could satellites have fallen from the sky and nuclear plants blown up? Incredibly unlikely.

reply to post by flexy123

You should also direct your advice to Hollywood and the MSM for bringing it to the general population in the first place.

Originally posted by SpearMint

Originally posted by BlueMule

Or maybe it's to ignore reason and rational thinking.

When you use an avatar for an extended period of time, people associate you with it. If people associate you with a guy humping the air with a blind sense of pleasure on his face, people will subconsciously filter your comments through that. Of course, this is a 2012 thread, so that's another discussion for another time.

reply to post by Jeremiah65

Quick question: Why do you choose to use ellipses instead of periods?

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Oh man...I hope you are right...but on the other hand...I hope you get a slap...you are not all knowing...you do not know what tomorrow brings....you deserve to be broken for your arrogance...you know nothing

If I'm wrong, no one will know will they? I'll try to remember to reply tomorrow.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join