It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans, Britons, Lets Stop This Bickering.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
THIS IS NOT A GUN CONTROL TREAD DO NOT MAKE IT ONE!

Since the dreadful events at Sandy Hook (RIP) took place, a lot of threads have been created asking Americans to think about gun control. And a lot of these thread have been started by Brits (myself) included. In doing so many of you have been directing your anger at us (Brits) and in turn we have been arguing back. I notice a divide starting to appear and it must stop!

Please, I want you to understand that we said and ask these things not because we want you to give up your rights. But because we care. You are our colonial cousins. Yeah we've had our rough patches but the Americans and Brits are like family.

You have to remember that guns are no where near as big a cultural factor in our society as it is for you. We simply forgot how much it ment to you.

I believe if this issue isn't resolved we may see a very divided ATS and I do not want that. ATS is the last bastion of truth. If it cannot be divided it cannot be conquered.

Please let end this silly fight and move on to what we do best.

ALS
edit on 18-12-2012 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2012 by ALOSTSOUL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The problem is that we disagree on such basic things and as such it can be hard to sort out the differences but lets just say that we like it how we are over in our area and what you do over in that area i couldn't give a rats arse about

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
The problem is that we disagree on such basic things and as such it can be hard to sort out the differences but lets just say that we like it how we are over in our area and what you do over in that area i couldn't give a rats arse about

But there is also so much we do agree on, and have been agreeing on for a long time. Why should we fall out now after all isn't that what "they" want?

ALS

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria

Not all Americans like it. Many hate their government.

Many Americans are in favour of gun control, including your president.

Most English dont give a toss what you do.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

I've tried to pretty much stay out of the whole mess for the reasons you posted. There are already enough lines drawn on ATS on other subjects - we really don't need any more. It would be a boring world if we all thought the same.

I'll give you an S&F and I'd buy you a pint at the pub if I could.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Your right it would be boring but the usual route we go down (debating) when we disagree has turned in to slander and mudslinging. It must end before it goes to far.

ALS

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm not too worried about it , I've learned over the years that when people get mad they say a lot of things they probably shouldn't .

While the problem of guns vs. no guns is unlikely to go away , I expect that the arguing will die back to tolerable levels in a few weeks .

But know this ; we here in America are supposed to be citizens . To me this means that the ultimate burden of making our country work falls upon our ( the public's ) shoulders . To many people are losing sight of this as they demand that the government do things for them , forgetting that they're the ones who are supposed to see to it that it gets done .

We who remember what we are are starting to get worried that we might have to remind the government that they're nothing more than hired hands , not our masters , and so far words haven't been working very well .

That,s one reason Americans want to keep our guns .

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Well yeah - that's a good point. I don't know why that is. It used to be way more common (in society in general, not just ATS) for people to be able to debate an issue and then just agree to disagree if common ground on the issue couldn't be found. That seems to be vanishing thing, but I don't know why.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I wuv merican women

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...reply to post by ALOSTSOUL

I have to say i love my British .303
There i show my love...lol
thank you...
edit on 18-12-2012 by madenusa because: more love

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
We kicked the English out on their rumps. Because..... we don't treat being considered as slaves very well. And we were able to kick out somebody that felt very comfortable ruling us because we had guns. That pretty much sums up human beings though. If you can't defend yourself you get steamrolled. So, no bickering here and you are entitled to your opinion and you can have that opinion and I'll have my gun, which guarantees I can keep having an opinion.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Im an Aussie, can I still bicker

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Apollumi:

We kicked the English out on their rumps.

Er...what's this 'we' business? There isn't a single American alive today that did any kicking of the English, many of you strut about on these forums as if you personally did! Your ancestors didn't manage it on their own, have you forgotten the timely intervention of the French? Here's another piece of info for you...Britain was fighting not only in America, but in other lands too. If we hadn't needed to split our military down to engage in all theatres, America would have received a vastly larger force than it did, the colonists would have been trampled! We had a major over there at the time who declared how he loved the smell of Whitehouse in the morning!

...because, we don't treat being considered as slaves very well.

True, I should imagine you wouldn't, but it didn't stop your founding fathers from having their own slaves. Nor did it stop white Americans from keeping the coloured American disenfranchised right up to the 1960s!

And we were able to kick out somebody that felt very comfortable ruling us because we had guns.

I'm sorry, I need to ask, just how old are you? You're grammar is making me feel like a bully!

...you are entitled to your opinion and you can have that opinion and I'll have my gun, which guarantees I can keep having an opinion.

I don't have a gun, I don't need a gun, the society I live in relinquished them due to an absence of paranoia and fear amongst its people, and I know my opinion will be around equally as long as yours. Guns can never guarantee your safety, they can only ever guarantee you a battle!

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Well said! Differences aside, we're all just looking at living life as happily, freely and safely as possible.

Cheers.

beez

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   
For me it's a case of Mind over Matter.

I don't mind non-Americans posting their thoughts and opinions on American Firearms ownership because it doesn't matter. It's not their Country, nor their Constitutional right, Nor their money being spent on them nor their homes where they are stored and kept.

Thanks for sharing your opinions though.
Don't be offended when we disagree.

No hate.

edit on 19-12-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Slayer69:

It's not their Country, nor their Constitutional right, Nor their money being spent on them nor their homes where they are stored and kept.

I quite agree. I might add that it's not our children being slaughtered by them either! By the way, you have the most apt name for your post. Peace.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by elysiumfire
I quite agree. I might add that it's not our children being slaughtered by them either!

Exterior non participial Social commentary noted.

By the way, you have the most apt name for your post.

Thanks

Peace.

Agreed.

See, that wasnt so bad

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I am American and my wife is British...

Many moons ago after a hot session we were laying there talking and I just had to ask her a question. I said, "Baby... I am part Scot, part German with a little American Indian thrown into the mix. What are you?"

She looked at me as if I was from Mars and promptly replied, "I'm English you twit!!"

We both got a great laugh out of that... and still going strong after close to 15 years.

There is a moral to this story somewhere...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Now that I think about it Britain was kicked out of many countries and they are one step away from hearing "Austerity" mentioned every time Britain is in the news. When people are eating rubber bullets and throwing Molotov cocktails whilst wearing bandit masks I'll bet they wished they had guns.

But don't get your knickers all wadded up. I don't think Americans will do diddly squat as that long legged mack daddy takes the guns. People are just silly like that.

For future reference, stay away from the marmalade and scones. You need good ole sugar based jelly and lard soaked biscuits to have enough energy to fight a war. Worked for us yanks. Yessir....

Oh, and I served in the Marines in the mid 80's. When we are not throwing puppies off into a ravines to hear their lungs pop in one final yelp we are kicking ass and taking names. Ask Slayer, he knows.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Slayer69:

Exterior non participial Social commentary noted.

Just continuing the theme and tone of your post, my good fellow. It is a dream of mine, and perhaps shared by a large number of my compatriots, that we may one day be sat in a pub in discussion, and i might be able to say that 'Once Upon A Time In America' they used to believe guns were the most practical safety device. It was so long ago, but then they finally relinquished them out of maturity. Peace.

Terminal1

I am American and my wife is British...

No! She's English you twit!

...still going strong after close to 15 years.

My congratulations to you both. I love English women! They are decidely the most exquisite creatures on earth (if you know where to look!).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join