It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medical assisted euthanasia... for or against?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I am sorry Wort,

I do not understand your comment, would it be possible that you could state otherwise please?

Best and warmest respects

Rodinus

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
But, you know, it IS up to the family at times. Or to the patient. Or to an ethics review board. It's just not blared away at by the MSM.

If you are brain dead, or just unable to respond, and the ethics board thinks you will not recover and your family wants to withdraw care, welp, that's what happens. That takes a lot longer (usually although not always) for you to die than a big shot of Nembutal, it's rougher on you, it's harder on the family. But it happens every day.

I've also had a friend withdraw his own care. He was never going to get off the vent, ever, he lost too much lung capacity to an IED that got his left lung and one lobe on the right. Rather than be on the vent for 20 years, he withdrew himself. Took about 20 minutes. Luckily the nurse understood the withdrawal order and gorked him out with Ativan and morphine so he didn't die gasping and struggling.

I believe in it. For. Definitely. I don't want to hang around for years with the IQ of a turnip after a stroke.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I'm definitely all for it.

We put animals out of their misery, save them from the suffering of a slow painful death, why on earth would we not want to show the same compassion for our fellow human beings ?

Death is a part of life, and we need to learn to accept that fact and allow our loved ones to die with dignity and honour should they decide that's what they want. It's selfish for us to force them to continue clinging to life hooked up to a morphine drip to help with the pain just so we can have them around for a little while longer because we don't want to let them go.

Say your goodbyes, say your "I love you's"... and then reach down and pull the plug for them while holding their hand watching them take their last breath looking up at you with a smile on their face in loving gratitude.

Quality of life, not quantity, is what matters.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Nobody has the right to tell a consenting, sound minded adult that they can't choose when to end their own life.

Assisted suicide or whatever you want to call it should be available for those who choose to have it. Of course I don't mean for trivial reasons like depression and jazz.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Rodinus

When depression is just brain states.....

Why couldnt you just change the chemistry slightly.... why kill yourself?

I think I speak for most here when I say I'm a little confused with your response...

Yes, we all are pro euthanasia here, but for reasons other than depression. We are talking mostly about terminal deseases such as cancers for example.

Depression does not fit into the pros here. A depressed person could not possibly be of sound mind to make such a level headed decision. So if that's what you mean, then your right. You just need to elaborate a little more

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Xquizit

in the future i dont think suicide will be the result of anything but spite.

there will be far to many ways to make yourself happy and far more things to know and see than you could possibly fit inside an organic brain.

As for right now... we still have the right drugs to keep people alive and happy untill we can find a cure for what ever is wrong with them.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I for one am 100% for it.

But my view is from a different prospective than most,
i am terminal, there is a slim chance things could change
but this would only buy me some time, 10 years or so..
possibly more, but in the end, there is no avoiding it...

I would like to think that when the pain and suffering gets to much
that i would have the right to escape it.

As it stands, it has been over 13 months since i have had a single day
without pain, and this is after my doses of morphine.

Life has totally changed for me, and not the better, but i still enjoy what
i can, but i know there is only one direction i am going to go, things will
get worse. According to my doc i have around 1 to 1 1/2 years left.
I am hoping to avoid what i have seen many suffer through with the same
medical conditions as i have. I would hope that when the time comes i will
have enough med's to escape the suffering once and for all.

I am not looking forward to it, nor is my family, but its a fact of life, we get
the cards we are dealt in this life and do with them what we can.

The fact that its not legal and practiced is a sad statement for our socitety.
We put our pet's to sleep when they are hurting to much, when we hunt
we try to make the shot that will kill the animal as fast and painless as possible
but when it comes to humans we suffer untold agony some times for years.

I think its time as a species we change our way of thinking, and allow the ones
that need and require a escape a means to do it.

Sadly, i know without a doubt it wont happen in my time.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm for it with a caveat;
The decision should soley rest on the individual and government should not be allowed to input criteria or define the terms.

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
After watching my father wither away from an active workaholic to a skeleton of a man over 4 years from Alzheimer's. I see no reason we should not have an ethical means to take ourselves out of this world.

Why cant I pull my own ticket... ?

If my family had a choice we would have done it for my father. Instead we had to "sustain" him for years in a bed he couldn't even move from.

We all had to see him waste away.... WHY????

Just to basically give him a kill shot of morphine after his body shuts down from malnutrition...?

Its sick.

My father was trapped in a prison in his mind.

I know he was fully aware of his surroundings but he couldn't move... couldn't communicate.

My father basically stopped eating and took himself out anyway.

When I get to the point in life to where I am in a terminal condition. AKA stage 1 Alzheimer's

I will pull my ticket..

Start up my fathers vette turn on some good tunes close the door and say goodnight.

edit on 21-12-2012 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join