It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it taking so long for humans to advance technologically

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I was wondering why it is taking so long for us to advance technologically i mean in the 1980's everyone was like ya by 2004 were going to have houses on mars and the moon and have developed and found the formula for Anti-Gravity!!!!

[edit on 24-10-2004 by portfreezer]

[edit on 24-10-2004 by portfreezer]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Politics. If the money isn't funding it, then it's not going to happen.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Developing slowly compared to what? In order to determine a proper length of time there has to be a reference point with which to start. As it is we only have humans to compare to, well, humans...so how do we know we are not advancing fast?

Although I do agree with Lucid...unfortunately people are only after money and could care less about human advancement if it does not involve the almighty $.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I was wondering the same thing, portfreezer.

It took us 20 years to go from tapes to CD's, but why? Polotics, yes, but why does everybody need funding? 20 YEARS, people! I built an electrolysis chamber in my bedroom, which took me about 15 minutes, but did I need funding?

If people are dependant on their research, and the funding is their income, then it is understandable. But when other people are just greedy and they want every cent they can get from the govornment for every little thing they do, they are rewarded with my undivided hatred.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
wow i think that it is pathetic either the government is not letting enough patents or this society is retarted!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Some guy stumbled on gunpowder by accident. Technolgoy is as much about luck as it is intelligence.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
well ya but thats like 1 out of every 100 inventions........

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Greed is a part of our nature. We should accept this. I say we socially reengineer cerebral development to be our currency; our pinnacle of greed. Sure this would have some negative qualitys to it. Stupid people would be the poor people (hmm). At least we would make some cool s hit

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
dude u can't do that!! thats like a new world order lol but seriously u can't force people to do that!!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by portfreezer
well ya but thats like 1 out of every 100 inventions........

If you're such an expert on inventions, then you should know the answer to your question already

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Greed is a part of our nature. We should accept this. I say we socially reengineer cerebral development to be our currency; our pinnacle of greed. Sure this would have some negative qualitys to it. Stupid people would be the poor people (hmm). At least we would make some cool s hit

Being a bit pessimistic...why not? Afterall, we are halfway down the road to screwing up this world, so why not take it as far as we can until "the powers that be" make us stop?

We could genetically engineer all mammals to be our slaves and to be intelligent enough so they can vote (with genetically grown fingers and hands) for good Christian right-wingers to run the world. Then we could develop weapons to blow up the pesky moon because of its un-needed gravitational effects on Earth like the tides.

[edit on 24-10-2004 by Jazzerman]

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
hey dude that post before jazzerman was uncalled for and you attacked me!!!!
but jazzerman good point!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by portfreezer
hey dude that post before jazzerman was uncalled for and you attacked me!!!!
but jazzerman good point!

Attack? If I didn't know better, I'd almost think you had a sense of humor

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
lol i know i was joking but ya i bet by 2020 we won't have developed anti-gravity or projections LMAO!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Wait a minute! "Why is it taking so long for humans to advance technologically?" HAHAHAHAHA!

We are going at a blistering pace! There has been more change in the last twenty years than in the last century, and more change in the last century than in the last thousand years! That's called exponential acceleration of technological growth!

So you don't have an atomic powered flying car like they said you would back in 1950, but you have everyday advances that they never even dreamed of: iPods, GPS, cellular communications, robotic and nanotechnological surgery, and let us not forget the greatest invention of the Information Age, the Internet.

There are things in the works that are beyond your wildest dreams: in China they are begining to truly understand the genetic code, in France there could be working fusion powerplants by 2010, in the United States nanotechnology is being finally introduced into practical applications. If the past is any indicator, the next 20 years will eclipse anything mankind has yet attained.

Every five years the ammount of information that our civilization has stored doubles, that means that we have sustained 100% growth of recorded knowledge over a five year span. That is astronomical advancement.

Science is moving forward now faster than ever before, our world is leaping forward at a speed that no society has ever reached.

It took man millions of years to discover fire, thousands to develop steel, hundreds to build functioning internal combustion, and only dozens to go from the first modern computer to creating a fully artifical and digital world within the Internet.

I openly laugh at your question, as would anyone else who is in the academic or scientific fields.

May Peace And Advancement Travel With You
~Astal

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
The govornment had the internet in the 80's, they just introduced it publicly only in recent years.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Don't worry about it. You are right.

American technology is far beyond that which the public has available to it or is allowed to see. I used to think that the secret technology level was about 20-30 years beyond what was disclosed to the public.

I now believe that the secret technology level is more like tens of thousands of years beyond what we see.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
..I think, not sure though. Just what my mom told me.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat
The govornment had the internet in the 80's, they just introduced it publicly only in recent years.

In a very primitive state, it was basically sued so taht defense computers could communicate. I don't believe it would have had any real use to the public at large until more recent times, when computer technology made it affordable.

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Oh, thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't really know much about how the internet developed and that...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join