It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violent video games caused the massacre of 5 and 6 year olds combined with aspergers/autism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

The OP is showing a real ignorance of the facts about autism/aspergers. Speaking as someone who knows a thing or two about the subject, having autism/aspergers does NOT make you violent. By scapegoating all people who are not neurotypical, you're adding to the problem of not accepting them into society. Just because someone is more Spock than Kirk does not mean you should FEAR them or treat them badly. What the killer in this case did is on him; it was HIS decision and he acted badly. Don't make it about everyone else.

Turning this into an Aspergers witch hunt is generalizing, stereotyping and WRONG. Be kind to all kinds of minds. They need/want friendship, too.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

wow that is really cool , too bad I don't have a computer to play it though.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

which leads me to ask....
seems to me that someone with autism/ or aspergers for that matter, well, would they really go shooting their way into a loud, chaotic elementary school to interact in any way with the occupants within??
I am not an expert on autism, really don't know much at all, but it seems that the last place someone with severe the affliction along with obsessive-compulsive disorder would want to be is into that kind of environment...

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel
Instead of banning guns (which there are over 300 million out there right now... genie's out of the bottle), why not profile white teen males for anti social behavior, mental illness and parents that have legal guns in the house?

Wouldn't that be too close to harvesting personal information? With the information already available they could get a lot of "profiling".

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

No I avoid loud chaotic places on purpose. It is a natural coping mechanism against the "disorder" if everyone had this "disorder" then the world would move and advance like a well oiled machine, thirst for knowledge and progression and impossible to manipulate, with a strong sense of social justice...but that's not the case; so we adapt the best we can to this adversity called society; filled with flaws and greed, corruption etc.

I avoid many places unless I cannot help it; malls, shopping centers, theatre, bars...basically anywhere that is an assault on the senses. Our brains tune every conversation, every movement, every smell, etc. all at once; our brain tries to code this information all at once and make sense of it...whether we like it or not; we cannot filter or tune it out...unless we train ourselves too; which is a very hard process. I do it by focusing all attention I can visually on something just to hear, if anything enters the field of view it becomes a distraction. I believe ADD shares some of the symptoms. But we are aware of any and all possible distractions...so we tend to cloister ourselves away from such things simply to cope.

Going to seek out a chaotic place on purpose, or without an invitation or demand from authority or responsibility; isn't going to happen. The symptomatic effects that can be noticed; are an attempt to cope with overwhelming sensual experience, not looking into eyes during conversation or locking eyes and not looking away...is an attempt to focus...unfortunately, not looking in eyes breeds distrust, looking into someones eyes unbroken, makes people fearful and uneasy....unless there's a lot of work to pick a focus and then shift back to it; for "normalcy" of eye contact. When everything is a distraction purposely creating a distraction; is not intuitive it is part of what we try to cope against on a minute to minute basis.

Practicing one pointed meditation, is what has helped me integrate into many social situations where no one; would know I was "different" otherwise. I am consciously picking focus points; to maintain focus where it needs to be moment to moment, in relation appropriate to the situation. I suppose this sounds like a lot of work or suffering just to exist; but I have never experienced my senses otherwise; outside of chemically induced states. So to me it's just me. I can't miss a particular food or even fully comprehend it without experiencing it...so it's not as much hell as it my seem. I am happy in the things that I enjoy; and try to use positive coping skills with the things I don't.

I hope this answered your question...I felt it important to ad my actual experience; to aid understanding; to counteract the generalized opinions of the OP that demonize...instead of understand. But I suppose; that is just a common symptom of the disorder called "normal"

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Poor parenting
+
Poor support system in place

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I just wanted to make a point that studies have been done by various Universities across America over the last eleven years, their findings have been published and definitively echo precisely what others have been saying.

Depression in young people strongly predicts how aggressive and violent they may be or may become, but exposure to violence in video games or on television is not related to serious acts of youth aggression or violence in the U.S. according to new research by Dr. Christopher Ferguson from Texas A&M International University.

looked at their exposure to violence both in video games and on television as well as negative life events, including neighborhood problems, negative relationships with adults, antisocial personality, family attachment, and delinquent peers. He also assessed the styles of family interaction and communication, adolescents' exposure to domestic violence, depressive symptoms, serious aggression, bullying and delinquent behavior.

analyses show that 75 percent of young people played video games within the past month on computers, consoles or other devices, and 40 percent played games with violent content. Boys were more likely than girls to play violent games. One year later, 7 percent reported engaging in at least one criminally violent act during the previous 12 months, the most common being physical assaults on other students or using physical force to take an object or money from another person. Nineteen percent reported engaging in at least one nonviolent crime during the same period, with shoplifting and thefts on school property at the top of the list.

Ferguson found that depressive symptoms were a strong predictor for youth aggression and rule breaking, and their influence was particularly severe for those who had preexisting antisocial personality traits. However, neither exposure to violence from video games or television at the start of the study predicted aggressive behavior in young people or rule-breaking at 12 months.

Source

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArcAngel
Add pschotropic drugs and I agree 1000%.

Instead of banning guns (which there are over 300 million out there right now... genie's out of the bottle), why not profile white teen males for anti social behavior, mental illness and parents that have legal guns in the house? I mean, we already have back ground checks for guns, why not say as a question to that check "is there an individual that resides where this weapon will be kept who has been diagnosed OR has been communicated to you through school authorities of an anti social behavior" If the answer is yes, no gun. Period. And then, have the schools report this information to the FBI so that the records match in a database.

why profile "white teen males"

As black males are more likely (and much more likely at that) to commit murder, why in the hell would you be targetting white males- don't base it on what you THINK, base it on actual facts

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie
I just wanted to make a point that studies have been done by various Universities across America over the last eleven years, their findings have been published and definitively echo precisely what others have been saying.

Depression in young people strongly predicts how aggressive and violent they may be or may become, but exposure to violence in video games or on television is not related to serious acts of youth aggression or violence in the U.S. according to new research by Dr. Christopher Ferguson from Texas A&M International University.

looked at their exposure to violence both in video games and on television as well as negative life events, including neighborhood problems, negative relationships with adults, antisocial personality, family attachment, and delinquent peers. He also assessed the styles of family interaction and communication, adolescents' exposure to domestic violence, depressive symptoms, serious aggression, bullying and delinquent behavior.

analyses show that 75 percent of young people played video games within the past month on computers, consoles or other devices, and 40 percent played games with violent content. Boys were more likely than girls to play violent games. One year later, 7 percent reported engaging in at least one criminally violent act during the previous 12 months, the most common being physical assaults on other students or using physical force to take an object or money from another person. Nineteen percent reported engaging in at least one nonviolent crime during the same period, with shoplifting and thefts on school property at the top of the list.

Ferguson found that depressive symptoms were a strong predictor for youth aggression and rule breaking, and their influence was particularly severe for those who had preexisting antisocial personality traits. However, neither exposure to violence from video games or television at the start of the study predicted aggressive behavior in young people or rule-breaking at 12 months.

Source

Thank you for bringing some actual citation to the table.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
Poor parenting
+
Poor support system in place

I wonder if it is possible to use fewer words to point out the problem? Star for you.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Credenceskynyrd
why profile "white teen males"

I think the idea was that white teen males have been, statistically, the most common perpetrators in cases like this one.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The same thing occurs in other countries. So this sounds more like a stereotype to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Reply to post by Lichter daraus

Quote you?

I didn't quote anyone in either of my previous posts. I responded to you. I also never said I disagree with you. I responded to you because I agree with you.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

yeah that's totally my bad ,I read it wrong I guess.
sorry about that.

posted on Dec, 17 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I love shooter games like battlefield 3, and I have never thought of acting out like that. I have also played ultra violent games like postal and blood but I doubt I'll become merciless.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Here's another BS example of blaming games:

Mob Blames Mass Effect For School Shooting, Is Embarrassingly Wrong

Ironically, the first level of Mass Effect 3 basically tells you how losing children is a bad thing..

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join