Violent video games caused the massacre of 5 and 6 year olds combined with aspergers/autism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
There is a lot of speculation on what caused the shooter to explode like that. As a former professor of Psychology and of Human Development I have a hypothesis.

The shooter was autistic/aspergers. These people have extremely poor social skills and emotionally frequently operate at a very low (ie young child) level. Children can not tell the difference between reality and fantasy until around the ages of 6-8, about the time they catch on that Santa isn't real. My hypothesis is the shooter's emotional intelligence was below that threshold.

Many have said he spent most of his time playing video games. We know that if you immerse soldiers in realistic video games they will perform with less remorse and feeling on the battlefield, there is plenty of research to back that up.

So this man was emotionally crippled and most likely below the emotional level of understanding the difference between immersive fantasy and reality. Add to that video games which lower the threshold of understanding and feeling even lower and WHAM. You have a person who when the right "trigger" comes along acts out the fantasies he has been engaging in day after day, hour after hour, without really realizing the difference between fantasy and the reality of what he is doing. He just acts automatically as the games have trained him to do with no empathy or understanding that the children were people with feelings which he didn't have and so could not relate to.

His mother had the "fantasy" guns available, there was a trigger and he went to a place where he knew there would be a lot of targets and played his game to act out his triggered rage. That's my hypothesis.

+41 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
No, they didn't, and anyone who thinks otherwise is utterly clueless. I fall squarely into the category you seem to be describing, and I haven't shot up any public locations yet. Utterly disgusting ignorance.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by grandmakdw

Please - the video game argument is getting old. IT IS A GAME. I've played violent video games my entire life and I have no violent tendencies at all. And, games have a rating system for a reason.

A disturbed individual and guns caused this tragedy - not a make-believe game.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Why don't you wait until all the facts are in?

Not going to say that video games don't play in the matter, because I know my niece would always supposedly burn up all her characters on SIMS but that's not the real reason.

I'm also finding it hard believe the kid with all these problems somehow had a girlfriend that is imaginary. My niece had imaginary boyfriends too.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Why is it that every time something bad happens some douche immediately blames video games. Wow.
edit on 12/15/2012 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
you want to talk violence then you have to talk war and the killing our government does for real everyday, that and how to lie day in and day out. i say ban the federal government before more innocent people get hurt.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is the worst excuse I've heard people use as the reason why these "killers" commit their acts of violence. If there weren't video games, you'd be using movies as the basis for your hypothesis, if there weren't any movies you'd be using the environment he grew up in, I wouldn't be surprised if you even mentioned it was because of the books he read. It's simple, this person was mentally ill beyond the point of what he was diagnosed with. Video games don't emerge people into these fantasy worlds that they want to engage themselves in through reality. Get out of here with that idea, it's been used and abused and it's nonsense.
edit on 15-12-2012 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Dear grandmakdw,

I will attempt to use my nice words. Start with this, I would be defined as someone who "has" Aspergers and I am a pacifist. It is not a disease nor is it a disorder, it is a description of certain traits. We all have traits. Ignorance is a personality trait, that does not make it a disease or an excuse for bad behavior. They say that 1 in 50 people born now are autistic, yet, most murders are done by "normal" people. People who are autistic do not account for 1 in 50 murders. The percentage of people who play video games is higher than the number of people who are autistic; but, they don't all become killers either. Let us not use this event to vilify categories of people. Why compound the evil?

I do understand that people want to find a solution, an answer; but, we should find out what the killers reasons were. Apparently he left behind things that explain why he did it. Lets wait until we know what he left behind before we begin guessing. Peace.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

This is why there have been so many cases of children kicking turtles against sidewalk steps to get extra lives.

And why we have such a shortage of wild mushrooms in the cities... the kids are eating them thinking its gonna make them bigger.

/sarcasm

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Video games are not responsible for this, the shooter and his inability to control his spiritual conscious is to blame. Simply put, the devil made him do it, literally.

PLPL

Just another justification for the truth, we can make up any excuses we want but in the end it is all EVIL. It is sad to see what a strong hold it has on this world.
edit on 15-12-2012 by Minori because: no reason

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by billy197300

Why is it that every time something bad happens some douche immediately blames video games. Wow.
edit on 12/15/2012 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

Reminds me of the days they always blamed Heavy Metal

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by grandmakdw
There is a lot of speculation on what caused the shooter to explode like that. As a former professor of Psychology and of Human Development I have a hypothesis.

The shooter was autistic/aspergers. These people have extremely poor social skills and emotionally frequently operate at a very low (ie young child) level. Children can not tell the difference between reality and fantasy until around the ages of 6-8, about the time they catch on that Santa isn't real. My hypothesis is the shooter's emotional intelligence was below that threshold.

Many have said he spent most of his time playing video games. We know that if you immerse soldiers in realistic video games they will perform with less remorse and feeling on the battlefield, there is plenty of research to back that up.

So this man was emotionally crippled and most likely below the emotional level of understanding the difference between immersive fantasy and reality. Add to that video games which lower the threshold of understanding and feeling even lower and WHAM. You have a person who when the right "trigger" comes along acts out the fantasies he has been engaging in day after day, hour after hour, without really realizing the difference between fantasy and the reality of what he is doing. He just acts automatically as the games have trained him to do with no empathy or understanding that the children were people with feelings which he didn't have and so could not relate to.

His mother had the "fantasy" guns available, there was a trigger and he went to a place where he knew there would be a lot of targets and played his game to act out his triggered rage. That's my hypothesis.

As a former professor of Psychology and of Human Development you should know that autistic spectrum is very wide, it can be very mild and the other way around. As a professor you seem to judge everyone which has autistic/asperger traits as a person who "These people have extremely poor social skills and emotionally frequently operate at a very low (ie young child) level" what a crap are you talking about as a professor of this matter you should know better ! you sound more like a troll.

What comes to games everyone can have mild or intensive addiction to those.. so basicly there is a little bit asperger in all of us then.

I would rather ask first why the mother had so many guns.. and try to find the answer from the environment first. She might have been a prepper ( no pun intended to preppers around here )

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Just like Rock n' Roll was the work of the Devil and caused teenage debauchery?

Just like Stravinsky was channeling the dark lord in some of his more modern works?

Just like Mozart's music was deemed "demonic?"

No offense, OP, but get a grip on reality. Violent video games don't create killers or debauchery in kids. Killers are killers period.

Video games are not to blame for someone going "off the deep end." Mental illness and lack of treatment causes someone to go off the deep end.

End of story.

-TS

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Just one problem with this hypothesis. (well more than that...but I'll be quick and make a singular point)

He (supposedly) killed himself when his war was over.

Does this happen on video games?
edit on 15-12-2012 by DIDtm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Plus, video games don't feature people killing innocent children.

This was pure evil.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

There is a great deal more to the ability to tell fantasy from reality than simply emotional intelligence, and there is more to emotional intelligence than just social skills or lack there-of. Many people on the high functioning end of the spectrum have higher than average cognitive abilities that help them cope with the lack of social skills. Your over simplification here is stunning in its absurdity, and heart breaking in its irresponsibility.

I am diagnosed aspergers, and I didn't believe in Santa when I was two. I remember it clearly, and I also remember having to fake it to please the adults because they threatened to with hold my presents if I didn't "believe". In fact most people on the high functioning end of the spectrum have difficulty believing in something that isn't real and visceral to them at all, even at a very young age.

So this man was emotionally crippled and most likely below the emotional level of understanding the difference between immersive fantasy and reality. Add to that video games which lower the threshold of understanding and feeling even lower and WHAM. You have a person who when the right "trigger" comes along acts out the fantasies he has been engaging in day after day, hour after hour, without really realizing the difference between fantasy and the reality of what he is doing.

There is also plenty of data to "back up" that violent video games make no difference what so ever in the violence that people exhibit in their day to day lives; even children at the "emotional level of understanding" that you defined as part of the parameters of your "hypothesis".

As a former professor of Psychology and of Human Development...

Are you sure?

Or are you just having a moment where fantasy and reality are rather blurry yourself? Or are you just spouting pointless speculation while knowingly trying to add credibility to your claim with a fictional background. I suspect the latter. That's my hypothesis.

I hope to God that you aren't telling the truth, because if you were a professor spreading this sort of perspective to students I cannot imagine how much damage to the vulnerable those students then went on to do.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

You wouldn't even need a disease to have the mind start perceiving these violent games as reality. If the body can't detox food for a while multiple disorders could occur where a person could start having perception problems. Problems would most likely occur from suppression of the livers ability to detox. The P450 enzymes are effected by lots of things. The food industry uses a lot of things that suppress the liver and kidneys as is evident by the increasing numbers of people on meds. Even lowering stomach acid for a long time interferes with absorption of minerals that can effect things. Maoi inhibitors can be used for some things but are only a patch.

Body chemistry changes often effect perception but rarely effect health till the deficiency gets too big. Metabolic issues are dangerous. We need to start acknowledging this or things are going to get a lot worse shortly. Trouble is that there are a lot of influential people denying this problem exists for personal reasons, basically they have something to lose.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

This has been my experience with the people I know in life who are Aspies. I had a friend we used to call Spock because of how extreme he could get. Good guy though.

I think it's more likely he was Schizophrenic as well. He was the prime age for it to rear it's head. I don't think any of this will help the poor people who lost their loved ones though.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Mental instability and access to guns is what caused this massacre

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

I was born before video games or even personal computers were made, but when I was young I noticed that I was getting used to images of violence and death. Do you know where those came from? From the TV, mostly movies and series from the US, along with news of the Vietnam war.

Now I am going to play a little of Unreal Tournament 3.

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join