It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas school where teachers carry guns prepared to protect students

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I'm thinking along the same line. Public places where there are large groups of people either need extremely tight security where no one can break in with arms or explosives or have trained people carrying concealed weapons to protect themselves and others in the event of a suicidal or terrorist lunatic breaking in wishing to cause as much harm as possible. In all these mass shootings, I do not recall anyone firing back or making the gunman take cover as he comes under fire. If that were the case, it wouldn't be a mass shooting. Passing new laws to restrict guns just makes it harder for legal law abiding people to protect themselves. Obviously there are a whole lot of people who don't care about whatever law someone passes.

I believe a sheriff here in South Carolina recommended people carry guns or buy a gun. Even if the police can get there in a minute or two, that is more than enough time for someone to kill you or people you care about. I myself believe I could shoot a pistol over a hundred times in a couple of minutes. In some places, the police may take up to 20 minutes or longer to get somewhere. Having trained staff and concealed guns makes sense. I would not require everyone to get training though. Volunteers work best because they will be more motivated to get proper training. So far I have not heard of any mass shootings among trained people who carry concealed weapons or any mass shootings among police officers. I believe that system works. It is the crazy, insane, or terrorists that want to do evil in this world that we have to protect against.
my two cents.
edit on 15/12/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I don't mind the principal or a few teachers being accessible to a gun if, and only if, they are required to have mental evaluations 4 times a year. Once every season. Many people get seasonal depressed is why I advocate for every season.
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Good point. I would be concerned if a teacher has a confrontation with a student and the student physically strikes the teacher. If the teacher doesn't have the mental restraint, he could reach for his gun and shoot the student.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I'm on the fence here, I know my level of firearms training. I shoot A LOT because its a skill that diminishes. I'm not 100% cool with people that would be carrying around my child if there isn't a training standard or qual course.

Most law enforcement don't do anything other than the paper target on a semi-annual basis either. Should we take their guns at schools too?

I am a retired SF Officer; I know what you mean about skill atrophy. But seriously, we are not going to get civilians "shoot house" and CQB qualified for their CCW's.

The only fundamental people really need to remember is that you never squeeze the trigger unless you know where the round is going and have a clean sight picture of their intended target. You can’t go wrong there. If you are doing suppressive fire for defensive shooting you are doing it wrong.

It is really the best we can expect from civilians and even non-SWAT type LEOs.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
i think they are much safer having teachers capable of defending them. not so defensless

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I can't even begin to imagine a world, where the question of whether teachers should be armed with guns to be able to keep children safe in school as to even be a consideration......very very sad

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Logos23

I can't even begin to imagine a world, where the question of whether teachers should be armed with guns to be able to keep children safe in school as to even be a consideration...

I appreciate your sentiments, but.....
it is the world.
It's here, right now.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

That is a crazy mentality. It is evident by the actions of you culture that you are not responsible enough to have guns. Look at the amount of violent crime and mass shootings that comes out of the USA. Guns do not kill people. People do.. Deranged people.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by Logos23

I can't even begin to imagine a world, where the question of whether teachers should be armed with guns to be able to keep children safe in school as to even be a consideration...

I appreciate your sentiments, but.....
it is the world.
It's here, right now.

It's not something that affects me in the UK....it's not a part of my little corner of the world.....but don't misunderstand that as an attempt to gloat ( as a lot of people on here seem to think the British do...) I am genuinely saddened that families in the US have to face this....our children's safety while in school should be something we all should be able to take for granted

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

So, you're placing the blame on the "culture" of the USA?

If criminals - and wanna-be killers - have guns, why should the general populace not have equal recourse?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut
I'm on the fence here, I know my level of firearms training. I shoot A LOT because its a skill that diminishes. I'm not 100% cool with people that would be carrying around my child if there isn't a training standard or qual course.

So you'd rather have your child be an assured helpless victim?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

Well, one would assume that said teachers would be in possession of a CCP and, hopefully, would understand the magnitude of what they are being entrusted with (the lives of their students, in effect) and to give that firearm the respect that it deserves. I can see where you're coming from, but this is Texas we're talking about here lol. I think they'll be fine. Now if it was New York City (land of the ninny), for example, I would be a little worried.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

So, you're placing the blame on the "culture" of the USA?

If criminals - and wanna-be killers - have guns, why should the general populace not have equal recourse?

It is by definition a cultural issue. Are mass shootings as common her in the UK as they are in the US or in Canada. Why are you making the separation between criminals and the general population they are one and the same thing. Are you saying all criminals are potential killer. I think it would be more correct to say all people are potential killers. Whats the equal recourse arming everyone to the teeth... Great solution...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It says something to the sickness of American society, that teachers must carry guns in order for schools to be safe, that schools must be militarized and security has to be beefed up to presidential levels, for pupils to be secure. This is a testament, not to American exceptional-ism, that many of you red blooded (and no brained) Americans on these forums preach, but to the downfall of the US.

New York today is a virtual police state. The police have become corrupt and posses every expanding powers. Suspicious peoples, in other words Africans and Latin Americans, are regularly stopped and frisked for no reason at all.

The American people continue to stuff their faces at hot dog eating contests while millions of people starve. They continue to finance their lifestyles on debt transactions, buying expensive gas guzzling trucks that in their line of work (i.e. being a stay at home mum) they do not need, they continue to spend thousands a year on their pets, while their children's education suffers. And most of all, Americans want more guns so they can shoot more people. At some point, you must realise your society and culture has become cancerous.

Insult Canadians, Australians and the Europeans all you want, but it is you who is being laughed at.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Who has the money to pay for several mental evaluations every year? Unless the government is going to pay for it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Great article. I applaud those teachers for being pro-active and for taking steps to avoid being another statistic. Here's the thing about concealed carry, especially for those people who are against it. Many, many people are already carrying concealed everyday. You just don't know it; as it should be. The last place I worked the physicians were concerned enough to approach the Board about being able to carry concealed at work. Well, as you can imagine most people were against it. They then posted signs everywhere banning their use. Well, I asked them, you don't think Joe Public who comes in here isn't carrying? How many people come in everyday carrying concealed weapons, be it a handgun or knife. There are a lot of people out there carrying weapons safely, without anyone knowing.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I am with them right up to the point where they have to approve each person to carry on school grounds. Umm.. In a word? No. It needs to be open policy for CCW carry or NOT. No inbetween to register who is and who isn't carrying among those who the state and feds have deemed qualified and trustworthy to carry a weapon.

As this story showed...or suggested in early reports and others HAVE shown, it can be staff or people close to staff as easily as it can be a kid or someone only tied to the school through a child. If I were an educator with a carry permit, I don't want the SCHOOL knowing I have my weapon any more than I want the kids knowing. If I'm a responsible carrier, then no one ever will know anyway. As I noted in another thread, concealed means concealed and no one ever knows unless a situation is already so far out of hand, those who find out will be thanking and not scared about it.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Wow.. teachers in texas with guns

Wait till they see some illegal immigrant child running down the hall... they will probably open fire

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hisshadow
Wow.. teachers in texas with guns

Wait till they see some illegal immigrant child running down the hall... they will probably open fire
Oregon and Utah have both allowed their teachers with state CCW to carry on school grounds. You don't hear about wild school shootings or teachers using their guns (which no one knows who has what for sure) on any innocent kids or others.

It seems to work...and gun control exercised by intelligent and responsible people controlling at least some of the available guns seems to keep the violence well in check where it's allowed to work. Even spree killers don't seem to much like the idea of being shot by their intended victims, as there are real patterns to where these shootings happen or..more to the point...where they do NOT happen. Just my two cents and a fresh carrot.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I live in Texas... how do those teachers get past the "gun free" zone thing? I know I can't carry in a school building. I would have to leave it in my car, even with a CCW. This is state law, so I don't know how they are getting around that. I'd like to know.

Oh, and I'm totally on board with them carrying.

posted on Dec, 16 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Interesting idea you have there. Of course, you are aware the largest school shootings in the world have taken place in European countries who do not allow, or severly restirct, civilian ownership of firearms. You are also likely aware after the gun ban in the U.K. gun related crimes went up in some areas by over 68%. As far as your socialogical assesment of the gun culture, and that we and criminals are of the same culture, that is foolish. I have two kids identical in ages to the children killed in this massacre. I thank God they were not involved in such an incident. I also support the idea of teachers being allowed to carry in school. College students over 21 should be allowed to carry on campus as well. Nearly every mass shooting has occured in places deemed "gun free zones", and the highest rate of gun crimes occur in areas with the strictest gun control laws. You dont see some kind of correlation there? One adult in that school with a firearm, aside from the shooter, could have slowed his progress long enough for the police to arrive, or at the best stopped him in his tracks. Would you recomend we go the way of Mexico, where guns are banned? How many have died this year there in gun violence? 22 kids in China were stabbed at a school there on the same day, no one was armed and he did alot of damage. Just something to consider. I would rather we not follow the U.K. example where more than one in four have been the victim of a violent crime since the gun ban started.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join