It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas school where teachers carry guns prepared to protect students

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Read more here: Texas school where teachers carry guns prepared to protect students

David Thweatt, superintendent of the tiny Harrold school district in northwest Texas, believes his staff is ready.

Besides special locks and security cameras, an undisclosed number of staff members and teachers carry concealed handguns.

Thweatt said the "guardian plan," which drew international attention when it was implemented in 2008, definitely enhances student safety.

"Is that 100 percent? No," Thweatt said Friday in a telephone interview. "Nothing is 100 percent. But what we do know is that we've done all we can to protect our children."

Read more here: www.star-telegram.com...=omni_popular#storylink=cpy

This school was the only one in the U.S., a public school district in Texas, which implemented a carry-policy, so that teachers and other adults can protect the kids. Good for them, I say.

The board of education requires that those who are carrying have concealed carry licenses; the children are not told which staff members will be carrying. The school has had no problems, and doesn't expect to.

See, the thing is, with guns, that making them "illegal" does not make them "disappear." Anywhere. Ever.

It's too easy to start shooting at a captive audience where a person can be reasonably sure there are NO WEAPONS among the intended victims. Guns are meant to be a deterrent to physical harm, a protective tool. But, like all other things humans have invented, they can be in the wrong hands for the wrong reasons.

Still, if my kids were still in school (they are not), and I had the option of sending them to a school where I knew there was protection, I would probably do so. I was not brought up with guns, I was taught to fear them...and did. Now, however, after patient teaching and long discussions, and practice, I respect them, and am glad I know how to handle one. I feel MUCH SAFER than I would without a level playing field.

edit on 15-12-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'm on the fence here, I know my level of firearms training. I shoot A LOT because its a skill that diminishes. I'm not 100% cool with people that would be carrying around my child if there isn't a training standard or qual course.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

The article says that the people are required to be trained. You can't concealed-carry without passing a test and getting a license. My husband has been wanting me to get a license; yes, he taught me, and yes, I'd be nervous about having a gun in my pocket or car. Still, that is due to my upbringing that they are DANGEROUS; and an early principle that if you HAVE one, you'll wind up NEEDING one.

I don't see it that way anymore. I see it as protection. Many, many schools have cops on campus as "daily staff"... at least where I live. But one cop is not going to save all those students if a madman comes in in a homicidal frenzy to kill as many people as possible.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Board members approved the measure because the district is at least 20 minutes from the nearest station of the Wilbarger County Sheriff's Department.

The district has one school, with about 110 students and 15 teachers, according to the Texas Education Agency.

"We have one entry to the school," Thweatt said, adding that special locks can be activated from his office. "We also have the cameras, but we didn't have anything to deal with an active shooter."

The guardian plan was researched for more than a year before the school board considered it. Some board members didn't like it.

Seems to me they carefully thought it through; good on them. They did their homework, and based the decision on the distance from the local LEO dispatch point...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Good policy.

I will bet the students pay attention too.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The ccw qual in tx is a joke, punching paper and engaging moving threats in a dynamic environment are different animals. I applaude you in taking the step to get your ccw , I implore you to take a tactical pistol course in order to learn how to "run a gun" , only then will you understand what I mean.Tx ccw course of fire

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

I guess I didn't make it clear: my husband (a veteran of the Army National Guard, Military Police - and a life-long hunter) taught me. Tactical stuff, how to "run a gun", etc. We do air- and pellet-pistol target practice, and sim-games in the house (both in daylight at in the dark).

He feels he's too close to me to teach me everything, and wants me to take a course as well, and I probably will at some point....but, just knowing I can handle a pistol, how to lock and load, aim, shoot, use a tac light, etc., and being good at target-shooting (whether it was armory or basketball or billiards, or simply throwing things) I had a knack for it.

I don't know about the training required for a Texas CCW, but there are professionals out there who will train. Perhaps the school had hired one (or a group) of them, like they do in LEO - bring in tactical and urban-warfare units to teach the officers basic techniques, etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Not a bad idea actually as any nutter wanting to cause trouble will go somewhere else so if it was implemented at most public places where you could guarantee that there was several people who were armed it would put off people trying to do anything bad as they'd never stand a chance, but there will always be a slight advantage to the nutter as the 'guards' would possibly be hindered by people in the way and having to have time shots to reduce the chance of friendly fire etc

but to me its a sad state of affairs when you have schools making such detailed plans against some nut job with a gun but its a wicked world we live in

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

This is the only proper solution.

As I stated in a different thread, gun control laws contributed to this tragedy by making schools "gun free zones". Its exactly why these maniacs target schools, because they know there will be no resistance.

Do you really think someone is going to target an armed school? How about a convenience store knowing that the clerk behind the counter is armed vs another one who isnt armed because he thinks that "guns are evil".

Police cannot be everywhere and if they could, would you really want them everywhere, in every school, on every block?

edit on 15-12-2012 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
And why not? Pilots are allowed to carry firearms in the cockpit. However, LEO's should now be present in all schools, just like the school nurse.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I don't mind the principal or a few teachers being accessible to a gun if, and only if, they are required to have mental evaluations 4 times a year. Once every season. Many people get seasonal depressed is why I advocate for every season.

I think it should only be reserved to a few individuals though. We wouldn't need every teacher armed. Perhaps there could be a two lock box system that can only be opened by fingerprint or hand bio scan. One box for the gun, the other for the ammunition.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
In my city, there are police posted at nearly every school, even in the uppity suburbs. In the ghetto areas, there are also metal detectors and a "staff" posted at the main doors...

But again, one cop - while having the car parked prominently out front - can only do so much. A deterrent, yes. I'd think someone intending to shoot up a school would choose the school without a cop car out front.

When I worked in the school systems, these "School Resource Officers" were very visible, and developed relationships with both students and staff. There were frequent "Code Red" drills that entailed locking down classrooms, etc.

A group of adults (who are ""in loco parentis" ) at a school, should do everything necessary to ensure the safety of the students...

I'm glad to see support for the idea here. My husband works in a high-rise downtown, with "no firearms" policy. This bothers him, since it is effectively an advertisement to would-be perps that the entire building is unarmed. No, we don't want every building and store like a courthouse entry-point or airport security....but....is the alternative any more prone to lead to safety? I guess not...

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Right, and the way they have it set up (according to the article), is that only a few random adults carry on any given day. So, there can't be sure knowledge of who is or is not armed except by the administrators.

Harrold school officials do not announce which teachers are "packing" and those participating must have proper concealed carry licenses. They must also be approved by the school board to carry on school grounds.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Although I agree that this could work, I would want mental evaluations done at least quarterly, real training done at least once a month and have to be re certified at least twice a year.

Popping off rounds on a range is NOTHING like the high stress, life or death situation that these shootings are and I don't want someone that wrote a test and hit a few targets adding more rounds into an already messed up situation.

Not saying this isn't a good idea in certain schools but it would have to be strictly controlled and if my kids teacher is carrying a concealed weapon, I want them to have military grade training before they start firing rounds off. I would think the chance for collateral damage would be way to high otherwise to make it worth while.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I think so far everyone in the thread agrees with you; and the article says the staff who carry are at least at some level "approved" by the Board to be carriers. I can't imagine they don't have an urban LEO or Military training requirement, but it's possible.

Naturally, anyone who is engaged in child-care (whether educational or casual) should be carefully monitored. I wonder if we can find the actual policy requirements for this school?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Here's the link to their school board policies...

pol.tasb.org...

Not sure if it is there or not. I'd go searching but I have to get my kid to hockey soon so don't have the time right now.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I feel that CCW is a step into the right direction for deterent/security for most schools. Even though no amount of weaponry, lock down, metal detection etc. is going to be 100%. If we can just get away from what most schools, restaurants, and shopping malls are presenting now , it would be a great improvement.
The FACT that ccw is banned by ADVERTISED SIGNS on the outside of these places might give these Jack Wagon murderers a sense of reflection to "Not enter" here might help. If they knew that they were entering into a possible "KILL HOUSE" they might try somewhere else do ya think?
Even Seal Team 22 would consider somewhere else to shoot sitting ducks given the fact that anyone in that establishment could be armed with any unknown variety of armaments. I guess thats the true problem, isn't it.
By outlawing that extra level of deterent (CCW) people have indeed created KILLING FIELDS/DEAD ZONES where loonies can come in and shoot at will anyone and anything with NO THREAT of being shot at. It creates a carnival atmosphere of shooting ducks and getting a prize (notoriety).
We need to recreate the lampooned movie characterization where the shooter comes in brandishing a weapon, and everyone in the room pulls theirs out. Thereby, forcing Mr. Jack Wagon to back off.
I wonder how many lives would have been saved if one or two teachers would have been armed? I guess we will never know because now the "FIELD OF DREAMS" will become a common reality when they do away with any form of guns in our society. And if you build it "THEY WILL COME".

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Yes, thanks, I'd already found it and was searching.
I don't see anything yet regarding the specific Emergency Plan that would address an armed assailant; but it does state that the District works with officials and does regular Drills....

so far the wording of the policies looks like they're not being at all irresponsible about it. Non-staff and students are NOT ALLOWED to carry, and even staff are not allowed to DISPLAY.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
HERE it is:
pol.tasb.org...(LOCAL).pdf

EMERGENCY OPERATIONS PLAN
The Superintendent shall ensure updating of the District’s Emer-gency Operations Plan and ongoing staff training.
FIREARMS
PURPOSE
Recognizing that District schools are located in a somewhat isolated area and that response from emergency first responders, including law enforcement personnel, takes a minimum of approximately 30 minutes, the Board adopts the following policy to address concerns about effective and timely response to emergency situations at schools, including invasion of the schools by an armed outsider, hostage situations, students who are armed and posing a direct threat of physical harm to themselves or others, and similar circumstances.
AUTHORIZATION
Pursuant to its authority under Texas Penal Code 46.03(a)(1), the Board may, from time to time, authorize specific school employees to possess certain firearms on school property, at school-sponsored or school-sanctioned events, and at Board meetings. Specifically authorized individuals shall be approved by separate action of the Board. The Board shall issue written authorization to approved employees.
CONCEALED HANDGUN LICENSEES
Only those school employees who have obtained and maintain a current license, in accordance with state law, to carry a concealed handgun are eligible to be authorized to possess a firearm on school property.
TRAINING
Any school employee authorized to possess a firearm on school property shall be provided additional training in crisis intervention, management of hostage situations, and other training as the Board or designee may determine necessary or appropriate.

PERMITTED AMMUNITION
Only frangible ammunition, i.e., ammunition designed to have re-duced ricochet hazard, will be permitted in firearms authorized to be on school property.

DATE ISSUED: 10/31/2007 ADOPTED: 1 of 1
LDU 2007.04
CKC(LOCAL)-X

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Yule C Mann

I wonder how many lives would have been saved if one or two teachers would have been armed?

Probably all of them.

Probably would not have happened at all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join