It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House Vigil: Dozens Plead With Obama For Gun Control Action

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Yeah...right. All of a sudden we have a gun control vigil. What a bunch of stinky crud. I know this is a false flag. No way this was planned on the fly. You have a petition and now a vigil?!? Horse pucky. This country is going down the drain and fast. The last 10 years have brought us the most draconian legislation ever. From the Patriot Act I.II.III ad infinitum, to the NDAAs, the snooping laws and the private sector that aids them. They are doing piece by piece. Soon there will be all the requirements in place. I want to move to a non-disclosed Central American Country.

Activists, sympathetic parents, and those affected by gun violence in the past gathered to collectively grieve at the impromptu vigil. They chanted, lit candles handed out by advocacy groups, and pleaded for political action in the wake of the latest episode of gun violence to afflict the nation.

The shooting of a reported 26 people, including 20 children, at Sandy Hook Elementary School left people looking for not just answers, but an outlet.
link
Jennifer Oko was among those who came to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. to light a candle and call on the president to move gun control legislation. A New Yorker who now lives in D.C., Oko is the mother to a 5-year-old and a 7-year-old who are in kindergarten and first grade, respectively. She said she was torn as to whether to go home and see her kids immediately after work or come to the White House to attend the vigil. "I felt I needed to show solidarity," she said.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GrantedBail

Like the Patriot Act, torture, warrantless spying, suspension of habeus corpus, indefinite imprisonment, citizen kill lists, citizen assassinations, naked body scanners, the TSA, the NDAA etc.

Confiscating guns...

These guys mean business.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

You are so right. The agenda is so obvious. Funny (well not so funny) how the rest of the country doesn't get it. Man they got it down, dividing and conquering and all. Everyone is so busy being angry about the "war on Christmas" that they just don't get what is going on.

Just an aside: Is there fluoride in bottled water too? We are doomed.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

All of a sudden we have a gun control vigil.

Is this surprising to you? I feel like right wingers live in a world all of their own.

There are plenty of Americans that are anti-gun, even though that position is a minority of the whole population.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
As an Australian, I can tell you that these sort of gun control measures just don't work. When that horrible little b@stard ,John Howard, introduced his "gun buyback scheme", people literally fell over themselves to buy every firearm they could get their hands on. Gunshop owners were interviewed saying they just couldn't keep up with demand...even searching under shelves for stray ammunition that may have fallen.

And just to give you an idea of how stupid this new law was, I had to hand in my little Sportco .22 rabbit gun because it was semi-auto, but I could keep my SMLE .303 bolt-action. Yup...lot of thought went into that...

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
this is so obvious that a 4th grader could understand the ignorance of the fact. What entices me is the men, tyrancial at best, projecting to kill our constitution
Does not the Constitution state something about traitors, hell i digress

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShotGunRum

All of a sudden we have a gun control vigil.

Is this surprising to you? I feel like right wingers live in a world all of their own.

There are plenty of Americans that are anti-gun, even though that position is a minority of the whole population.

The position is a stupid one. Why must responsible people be denied the right to own a gun because of action's not taken by them? why is it liberals think just by outlawing something they fix a problem? it hasn't worked with drugs or alcohol has it? You outlaw guns just watch the crime rates jump, armed robbery, home invasions ect. The criminals will have guns you will not! . I believe the problem is not enough guns had that guy walked into a school with a few armed adults he wouldn't have racked up the death toll. Lol what did the anti gun rule on public schools do? DId it stop the gunman? no but it stopped responsible adults from having anything to protect themselves or the children with.

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatcoat

Yea, they took my Ruger 10/22 but I can go into any gun store and buy a bolt action sniper rifle of any caliber I choose.

The egotistical Police have guns, the criminals still have guns, we still have drive by shootings and armed bank robberies.

So, what changed, home invasions went through the roof as a crime wave.

P

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
You're gonna need your guns to protect yourselves from your own treacherous, corrupt government, your government knows it, and is desperate to disarm you all.

It is so desperate that to achieve this end, it is prepared to stage and perpetrate several mass murders of your kids to sway your opinion on gun control.

USA: Your government is afraid of you, it makes me wonder what the hell is it so guilty of that it fears reproach from it's own citizens.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
So.

Are they the least bit concerned that the President has his very own "Kill List"?

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

This annoys me to no end...

Guns do not kill people... people kill people. If we are to use this idiotic argument then cars kill people and not the driver... Cars kill people and not the alcohol....

Gun control would not have prevented this incident from occurring since the weapons were legally purchased by the mother, not the son.

Gun control only affects those who abide by the law in the first place.

Criminals are assigned that title for a reason, and its not because they abide by the law.

What about knife control?
screwdriver control?
baseball bat control?

Any item can be used as a deadly weapon.

A knee jerk reaction by people running on emotion instead of common sense can create results that are just as deadly as as a gun itself..

The Torricelli principle comes to mind.. It has since been repealed (after 9/11/2001) but back in the mid 1990's it prohibited the CIA from doing business with any person who had a criminal link / background.

a rule banning CIA agents from employing any sources who may have done anything illegal.

Is this a tragedy? Absolutely...

Its a tragedy anytime a life is lost... Regardless if its from a gun or a motor vehicle accident or natural causes.

Until humankind can go down to the lake and walk on water, we will always be imperfect... as will our laws.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

"What about knife control?
screwdriver control?
baseball bat control?

Any item can be used as a deadly weapon. "

The above is true but the distinction is that these things can only be forced into a killing role in a limited way. They have purpose in society other than making people dead.

Guns are purpose designed to kill. Handguns and automatic rifles are designed specifically to kill people. The comparison to other things doesn't really add up.

Thats not to say i disagree with your sentiment though. Legislation made in times of high emotional stress is always bad. Attempts to rush through some radical change on the basis of this tragedy should be resisted. The time is not right to have the discussion in a sensible way.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

The above is true but the distinction is that these things can only be forced into a killing role in a limited way. They have purpose in society other than making people dead.

Before there were "guns", people killed with rocks,blunt objects, or their hands. People will always kill. There will be no shortage of dead people, and innocent victims. You could wipe EVERY gun off this planet, and still have the staggering numbers of dead. Look to history, to see how people have been murdered. People kill people. Not the objects that they use. ANY object can be used. I bet you many everyday objects have been used to murder. Look at Pol Pot saving bullets, and using Plastic Bags to suffocate his victims.Stalin using the lack of food, to starve his victims.3.3 million dead by it!

Humanity will never be civilized. That's what people need to realize, and understand. I shall say Morals and Principles have been declining steadily. The World has become Desensitized. Tragedy's are the Norm. Its sad.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by justwokeup

Before there were "guns", people killed with rocks,blunt objects, or their hands. People will always kill. There will be no shortage of dead people, and innocent victims. You could wipe EVERY gun off this planet, and still have the staggering numbers of dead. Look to history, to see how people have been murdered. People kill people. Not the objects that they use. ANY object can be used. I bet you many everyday objects have been used to murder. Look at Pol Pot saving bullets, and using Plastic Bags to suffocate his victims.Stalin using the lack of food, to starve his victims.3.3 million dead by it!

Humanity will never be civilized. That's what people need to realize, and understand. I shall say Morals and Principles have been declining steadily. The World has become Desensitized. Tragedy's are the Norm. Its sad.

If people want to kill people they can and will. Thats obvious.

The difference is in ease of achievement. You put a depressed teenager with a rock or a blade in a movie theatre and he can kill people. However unless he's Jason Bourne the amount of damage he can do is limited.

You put the same depressed teenager in the same movie theatre with an AK-47 and plenty of ammo and he can kill everybody.

Thats what the tool is designed to allow. Thats the primary function. Thats the difference.

I'm not american so i wont comment particularly on gun control applicability or not. However, as the discussion is had i think its fair that the difference between guns and other innocuous objects is recognised.

I also think (its being discussed now on another thread) that the reason our young people want to die in a blaze of murder and publicity needs to be examined as much as the tools by which they can achieve it. I personally think the media and the morally bankrupt celebrity culture its spawned in the western world is responsible for much of this.

posted on Dec, 15 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Dozens? Talk about your vocal minority......

new topics

top topics

join