It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheese is older than the Earth*!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Traces of 7500 year old cheese have been found in pottery fragments -

Traces of dairy fat in ancient ceramic fragments suggest that people have been making cheese in Europe for up to 7,500 years. In the tough days before refrigerators, early dairy farmers probably devised cheese-making as a way to preserve, and get the best use out of, milk from the cattle that they had begun to herd.

-0nature.com

I wonder who, how and why some "cave man" decided that mixing milk with stomach goop would be a good idea??

Seriously - we're a pretty trusting bunch - I imagine it happened accidentally one day, and someone was just so damned hungry that they ate whatever was lying around, and didn't die from it!

* - for "young earth" creationists

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Delicious.

I swear if God exists, and has a favorite food, it's cheese.

Awesome that they've been making it for so long though.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
We weren't "cave men", we had agriculture by then

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

Hence why, I imagine, he put it in quote marks. It is also clear we had agriculture and domesticated animals, as it is otherwise quite prohibitive trying to milk a wild animal......

What is amazing is that this find pre-dates previous assumptions about when we thought farming began by quite some time.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
S + F for finding the cheese and doing it with humor.

Now if we can only find those cheese tracks next to the dinosaur tracks. That'll be the clincher.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Add me to the ATS cheese fan club

Peter Bogucki, an archaeologist at Princeton University in New Jersey, was in the 1980s among the first to suspect that cheese-making might have been afoot in Europe as early as 5,500 bc

I have to wonder what twists and turns your life has to take in order to be an archaeologist that has spent 20-30 years studying ancient cheese, he even has a team

edit on 13/12/12 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Can milk become Cheese by accident, perhaps? Like wine becomes vinegar?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
I wonder who, how and why some "cave man" decided that mixing milk with stomach goop would be a good idea??

there's actually a belief that milk was stored in animal skins and organs etc. so the rennet may have turned the milk to curd.

maybe they used dinosaur stomachs

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
the term "caveman" is made up but often refers to neandertals. In which case the neandertals went extinct about 30.000 years ago because they were big strong meat eaters during the last ice age. In fact we did not really evolve from the neandertal "race" so to speak. So this is quite believable that early homo-sapiens discovered cheese. We werent that dumb

EDIT: unless......it was ALIENS!

edit on 13-12-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

im eating cheese right now actually

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by homeskillet

maybe they used dinosaur stomachs

I imagine after a long day's ride on your T. Rex, you'd want to settle down with a nice chunk of cheese and some spit beer.

Hopefully it was actual cheese and not "cheese food". What in the # is "cheese food"? Do you feed it to cheese?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Avgudar

there is a process in Mexico and sudernamerica where they let milk ferment with salt..i think..covered real well of course and the milk does turn creamy sometimes chunky almost like cheese but it has a diferent flavor. sort of like sour cream but this one taste better for me

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Ever since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I heard the -moon- was made out of cheese. Green swiss cheese. So maybe the moon is older, and part of it broke off and became the earth.

Edit To Ad:
I can see a likeness image of Richard Hoagland, in my piece of swiss cheese! I should demand to be on coasttocoast for this.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Saucerwench because: x

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Mm nice 7,500 year old cheese,definitely a mature vintage.

Now just find a contempory bottle of red and we got an excellent pre-genesis feast

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Amazing. I love cheese. Thank you for sharing.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

The aliens who put us here love cheese.

Mmm .....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpearMint
We weren't "cave men", we had agriculture by then

Get over it! :p

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
YA........OR just because they are scientists doesn't mean know everything especially regarding carbon dating.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
reply to post by SpearMint

Hence why, I imagine, he put it in quote marks. It is also clear we had agriculture and domesticated animals, as it is otherwise quite prohibitive trying to milk a wild animal......

What is amazing is that this find pre-dates previous assumptions about when we thought farming began by quite some time.

You just put a very funny picture in my head of a guy jumping up and down in a field screaming " What is he doing? stop him it's not a woman it's a cow! He should be killing it not making love"
it is getting pretty obvious these days that man was more advanced 4000 years and plus than he is given credit for by far

reply to post by homeskillet

I think that you are pretty much spot on, this is the most probable theory, it is usually by chance we find these things out... concrete is another good example.

That being said though it could be by our own bodies this thing we call cheese was chanced upon, it's not unkown for humans to use bodily fluids to make new substances.
Mongolians and Peruvians like to make alcohol with spit if I remember correctly, also the Aztecs had a thing with chocolate mixed with blood.

So it is well within the realms of possibility for us to make cheese with... nothing but ourselves

Sick isn't it?

edit on 13-12-2012 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
YA........OR just because they are scientists doesn't mean know everything especially regarding carbon dating.

True - just because thousands of scientits have tested carbon dating over a few decades doesn't mean they know squat.

Especially when some creationist nutjob has a half-baked theory why it can't be reliable that just shows he does't know what he's talking about.

Yep - that put's science in it's place for sure

top topics

<<   2 >>

join