It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Titan's "Nile River" Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

This article from Discovery News reports that a river that bears a remarkable resemblance to the Nile has been discovered on Titan.

The Cassini Solstice mission has discovered what appears to be a miniature version* of the Nile River on Saturn's largest moon, Titan. The 400 kilometer (250 mile) long feature -- from 'headwaters' to a large sea -- is the longest extraterrestrial river ever to be discovered and imaged to such high resolution. Using Cassini's radar imaging instruments, mission scientists were able to deduce that the feature is indeed a river as the dark, smooth surface within the meanders and channel suggest the presence of a liquid.

I suppose they are guessing that the liquid is water, I'm not sure how they can tell. Could it be a river of mercury? Or acid? Regardless....could it harbor life?

I love these types of articles, really make you think. Enjoy!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Cool spot and thanks for sharing.

Regarding Titan, i thought they had figured it out to be rather earth like (lakes, rivers, seas, mountains, etc) but that the atmosphere is extremely methane heavy. So, basically, although the potential is there for a visit we would need far greater tech (essentially) in order to survive - if we managed to touch down at all.

I am sure i have read that Titan has rain storms, etc.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Posted yesterday already.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I did a search, sorry it didn't show up.

Mods...do your thang....

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   

If only people bothered to read the article they link themselves.

the thick Titan atmosphere is a frigid one, meaning liquid water couldn't possibly flow. The liquids on Titan are therefore composed of hydrocarbons such as methane and ethane.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

If only people bothered to read the article they link themselves.

the thick Titan atmosphere is a frigid one, meaning liquid water couldn't possibly flow. The liquids on Titan are therefore composed of hydrocarbons such as methane and ethane.

(Blushing furiously) I missed that part. Maybe when my son was trying to climb up on my shoulders.
Thanks for the correction.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Thread closed.

Please continue discussion in original thread found in link below
River System Spotted on Saturn’s Moon Titan

Thank you

new topics

top topics

join