It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean satellite 'tumbling out of control,' US officials say

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I know theres a difference between a weather balloon and a rocket. I also feel that with the money any college kid studying the physics involved can do a better job than North Korea and get a rocket into space.

Guess you guys all forgot that the rest of the world was able to do this sort of stuff 60 years ago using slide rulers. WHats North Korea's excuse. They are just pathetic.

Wanna bet you could go to caltec give the students there a bunch of money and they could build a rocket there using off the shelf parts that would get a 200 payload into space. It's just rocket science. the joke being that Rocket science is not that complicated of a science.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JewAgainstZionism

Prove the US had ANYTHING to do with this satellite going out of control. Anything at all. Guess what? Satellites fail all by themselves. The US and Russia have been launching them since the 50s and they still have failures.

As for our satellites being fair game, I suggest you look up a little history on satellite warfare. US satellites have been shot down and disabled for a long time now.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by JewAgainstZionism

Chill your beans kid. Nobody is saying NK can't have satellites, the point is that it's a faulty satellite and is going to come back down on somebody's head unless it gets shot down over water.

We're arguing the logistics of the shooting, from all sides.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The US didn't have anything to do with the Satellite failing. I would argue that the fact it's built by North Koreans as to why it's currently tumbling around in orbit.

We should be thanking the North Koreans. Someone somewhere soon is going to get a nice show as the thing burns up on its way back to earth.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
error

edit on 13-12-2012 by observe50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
What if they are intentionally making it wobble, to appear "out of control"....so that it just happens to wobble on overtop a country. They could be testing their capability for directed dispersal of some kind of nbc.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
I know theres a difference between a weather balloon and a rocket. I also feel that with the money any college kid studying the physics involved can do a better job than North Korea and get a rocket into space.

Guess you guys all forgot that the rest of the world was able to do this sort of stuff 60 years ago using slide rulers. WHats North Korea's excuse. They are just pathetic.

Wanna bet you could go to caltec give the students there a bunch of money and they could build a rocket there using off the shelf parts that would get a 200 payload into space. It's just rocket science. the joke being that Rocket science is not that complicated of a science.

You really don't understand.
If it's so easy why doesn't Canada launch its own sats?
And no giving a bunch of Caltech students a wad of cash will not get you another orbiting sat. The task is far greater than you are thinking it is.

I have to give kodos to NK for pulling it off.

If the orbital heights given by NK are correct their sat will be up there for about 1 1/2 years. The final payload was likely just a beeper. Their big goal was to get their launch vehicle working. From there I expect the next sat to do something and have stability.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JewAgainstZionism
reply to post by Zaphod58

Where do Americans get off taking down other nations satellites

No I am not a Kimmy lover, but taking down or nudging/disabling other
satellites means the following

IT MEANS YOUR SATELLITES NOW ARE FAIR GAME

China or Russia could do it from North Korean territory so that it looks
as if NK is doing it.

Think about this, I know this is a novel idea for Americans,

You live by the sword, you eventually die by the sword.

You are Not Gods
You are Not owners of Earth
You are Not some special group of people who everyone else should ask permission to go to toilet and make number 1 or number 2.

USA has networks upon networks upon networks of satellites, and North Korea can't have one because you happen to not like them

WHO DIED AND MADE YOU BELIEVE SPACE IS YOURS

edit on 13-12-2012 by JewAgainstZionism because: (no reason given)

shush. you're on your way to a nasty hemmroid

'MERICA!
edit on 13-12-2012 by christoph because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by samkent

xkcd.com...

It does seem relatively easy given the necessary funds, just replace the people box with a satellite.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
hmm tumbling out of control happens when you are poorly made or when hit by a missile..
likely both.

OR
the stabilization thrusters were faulty or continued working after the command to stop...~computer error~

OR
the internal gyroscopes failed

both of the above malfunctons seem more likely than being hit by an anti-satellite missile

Oh... there was a post that Russian technology to NK was bad that led to the launch failure
... i point out thet the Chineese are using the NK regime as their proxies in the region and Not Russia

.... the launching and orbit insertion programs/ technology was given to China during the Clinton Administration as part of a commerce deal...
the Chinese then divvy out some technology to their puppets the NK'oereans
Russia is not involved with any part of NK missile or rocket forces

edit on 13-12-2012 by St Udio because: brain furts

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Chill your beans kid. Nobody is saying NK can't have satellites, the point is that it's a faulty satellite and is going to come back down on somebody's head unless it gets shot down over water.

With a perigee of 500 km, it's going to be in orbit for years. Reentry is not a concern at this point and it's a tiny thing so reentry is not really a concern at all.

"Shooting down" a satellite doesn't happen. Shoot a satellite and you get a lot of little satellites. Bad idea.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Chill your beans kid. Nobody is saying NK can't have satellites,

Ummm?

North Korea was banned by the UN from ballistic missile tests after nuclear tests in 2006 which includes satellite launches.

edit on 13-12-2012 by CALGARIAN because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

reply to post by samkent

xkcd.com...

It does seem relatively easy given the necessary funds, just replace the people box with a satellite.

You are dreaming.

Spacex was formed as a cheaper way to space. They've had a few reality checks themselves.
It's not cheap and it's not easy.

NK is only the 10th country to do it.

Canada can't
Germany can't
Spain can't
Austrailia can't
Mexico can't
Brazil can't

The list goes on.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

www.independent.co.uk...

All I know is that everyone seems to be saying it's going to come back to earth at some point. Logically then, we'll have to ensure that it comes back to earth in a controlled manner i.e. not on top of a hospital. To do that, people said we'd shoot it down. I asked the question "wouldn't shooting it down be a declaration of war on North Korea?"

If shooting it down is a practical impossibility, the same question applies to whatever method is used to remove it safely.

If you look back a page you can see my postulation on the only 3 possible scenarios dealing with its re-entry.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Logically then, we'll have to ensure that it comes back to earth in a controlled manner i.e. not on top of a hospital.

Did UARS reenter in a controlled manner? Did Phobos-Grunt? Those were both a lot bigger and more dangerous than this thing.

But you are right, it would be a very bad idea to shoot the North Korean satellite. You'd just end up with a pile of space junk in orbit instead of a single object which will burn up all by itself when it finally does reenter.

edit on 12/13/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Well fair enough, I was wrong.

reply to post by Phage

What I'm trying to say is that if it is unstable and doesn't burn up in the atmosphere, one of 3 things will happen:
- Freefall (someone somewhere is going to have a bad day and then NK will claim #3 happened anyway)
- Being shot down by NK (unlikely, they won't admit it's not working as intended)
- Being shot down by someone else (war, unless NK allow them to shoot it down, which won't happen)

Where you can replace "shot/shoot down" with whatever the safe method of removing a satellite is.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

As small as it is, the odds of anything surviving reentry are very slim. Even if they did, they'd be very very small, and not likely to cause much damage. I guess we'll find out in a few years.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Where you can replace "shot/shoot down" with whatever the safe method of removing a satellite is.

The only safe method is a controlled reentry. If the satellite is out of control that is not a possibility.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

reply to post by samkent

xkcd.com...

You are dreaming.

Spacex was formed as a cheaper way to space. They've had a few reality checks themselves.
It's not cheap and it's not easy.

NK is only the 10th country to do it.

Canada can't
Germany can't
Spain can't
Austrailia can't
Mexico can't
Brazil can't

The list goes on.

Germany and all other european countries can... guess where the technic for all the satellites comes from? Ever heard of EADS and esa?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Germany has the ability to go down that path but choses not to.
They have no rockets.
They have no launch facilities.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join