It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean satellite 'tumbling out of control,' US officials say

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by raedar

perigee apogee
Apsis (clicky)

Elliptical orbit aint a perfect circle.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Might anyone know how they can tell what a safe orbit is for placing a new satellite up there without it crossing another s orbit in a bad way?
Did North Korea have to get clearance for this thing?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
And to think of all the North Korean stoves that thing could have powered.

The only thing North Korean's want in orbit is a pizza -so they can get fed.

Oh well nevermind; father like son, like father.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
This?

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Fisherr

OMG BWAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAH

How could I possibly top that?!

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about whatever it is falling onto someone's house. Seriously. The mass of whatever they launched into space (most likely a shell of some long, uncompleted satellite) - I'm speculating - probably wouldn't survive reentry.

Remember, these guys are trying to accomplish what other powers did in the 1960's - and failing. The shuttle was 1970's tech. I think the much broader, more serious, implication is could they launch a crude atomic weapon into SK, Japan or the West Coast? I think that answer is a solid no. At this point.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
And... it is losing altitude.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

Originally posted by Druscilla

tinfoil hat: sorting it Machiavellian style could involve intercept, subtle guidance, possible armament with something nasty, and aiming it at a target of opportunity ... like Mecca, where big disaster could then be soundly blamed on N. Korea.

I like the cut of your jib. Ever consider employment with DIA or the State Dept?

No one's yet to ever offer me terms of contract.
Besides that, I thought thinking like this was common in the strategic and clandestine community regardless of whether such strategies become actionable and/or actioned or not. Woulda thunk someone thought my speculation a decade ago already.
It's basic First semester 1, 2, 3 skullduggery 101 with nary a convolution, twist, or intrigue beyond exploiting someone else's embarrassment to further their misfortune at the hands of others.

Eh. If ABC or 123, and/or any other alphabet and even non-designation interests want to send me a chirp, I won't be disinterested.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

The altitude is too high. It's above the ISS !
This thing will take forever to fall to the ground.
It will just burn up anyway.
Mission Accomplished: The rocket works!
Back to the drawing board on a satellite that works.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
here you go:

Towards the end of this video, Ames reveals that the remote viewers were tasked with predicting events that would happen prior to the solar or meteor impact. The remote viewers were able to give two: The detonation of another nuclear bomb by North Korea and the emergency landing of some type of flying vehicle (plane or perhaps the escape pod of the space station) because of debris falling towards Earth.

www.viewzone.com...

by no mean am I giving excessive credit to this. It just reminded me of it... remote viewing is a very inexact and symbolic/image-based experience (that I have never myself experienced despite a few quite frustrating attempts).
Maybe the symbol of a nuke can be seen in this launch. The viewer got mixed-up between action and symbolism. As long as the NK satelite is not pulverised by that very secretive US spaceship roaming somewhere up there I will keep sleeping tight : p

All the best as usual

Logiciel

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Interesting point here... not many nations have put their own satellite into orbit, in fact NK is only #10.

So, despite the mockery, this is a hell of an achievement for what is, essentially, a third world country.

And given that their budget is likely to be miniscule compared with the other nations that have done this, its actually quite something.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Logiciel

Remote viewing is as BS as tarot cards and palm reading.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

never really dove into the subject. I only saw this documentary once. I can understand your position. But where those guys really hired by the CIA or likes? Probably some good way to spend taxpayer dollar hehe...

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

No one's yet to ever offer me terms of contract.

Hey, Skunk Baxter ended up a Master of the Universe with that sort of start. Start reading Naval Proceedings out of your roommate's trash pile and you, too, could be in charge of something odd and highly classified. And you become a kickass guitarist at the same time. Or something like that.

On topic, this thing will be there a while. Hopefully it stays in one piece and doesn't get in the way. I think the ARRL has a better record than Best Korea now.
edit on 13-12-2012 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
hmm tumbling out of control happens when you are poorly made or when hit by a missile..
likely both.

I think just poorly made and badly controlled. If it was hit by an ASAT missle, it probably wouldn't be there at all anymore.

An out of control satellite could wreck havoc amongst other normal satellites though depending on its orbit.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
is it me, or did it hit the water off the coast of
africa?

I was bouncing back and forth watching it, and now
nothing... no info, no indicator of where it is.

if so, at least it went somewhere no one
will be hurt by it

oops , never mind, my server was slow...
and would not load the info, its going again
edit on 13-12-2012 by severdsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent

Originally posted by Dispo
reply to post by samkent

xkcd.com...

It does seem relatively easy given the necessary funds, just replace the people box with a satellite.

You are dreaming.

Spacex was formed as a cheaper way to space. They've had a few reality checks themselves.
It's not cheap and it's not easy.

NK is only the 10th country to do it.

Canada can't
Germany can't
Spain can't
Austrailia can't
Mexico can't
Brazil can't

The list goes on.

Canada is only left off that list due to a technicality (No Launching Facilities). We've got rockets, we've got satellites....The only problem is that Downtown Eastside Vancouver isn't recognized by other countries as the true Spaceport that it really is

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore
Interesting point here... not many nations have put their own satellite into orbit, in fact NK is only #10.

So, despite the mockery, this is a hell of an achievement for what is, essentially, a third world country.

And given that their budget is likely to be miniscule compared with the other nations that have done this, its actually quite something.

As you are well aware, playing the space race game is expensive.

Its not that other nations lack the technological and industrial infrastructure required, dozens of countries could build an indigenous space program and orbit a satellite within a couple of years.

The Korean Committee of Space Technology hasn't developed their program in a vacuum, there was a lot of ex-Soviet/Russian and Chinese ( by intelligence estimates also Iranian and Pakistani ) technology involved with the development of the Unha-3.

The clincher is that the leaders of most nations would not invest billions into such a program at the expense of starving their own people.

The DPRK never ceases to amaze me.

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
it seems to be gaining in altitude now..

they may just make it after all

posted on Dec, 13 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think as Phage said you are gonna see this thing go up and down in altitude for the next little bit and it may be some time, a long time before there is any risk of it coming down in the future. Been watching the tracking program and it just become background fodder after I watched the same sequence over and over. I hope it just floats round minding its own business and crash lands into the ocean far from anyone.

SaneThinking

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join