It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Epigenetics May Be a Critical Factor Contributing to Homosexuality

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I found this earlier today and found it interesting. It seems that more and more is being discovered about homosexuality.

According to the study, published online today in The Quarterly Review of Biology, sex-specific epi-marks, which normally do not pass between generations and are thus "erased," can lead to homosexuality when they escape erasure and are transmitted from father to daughter or mother to son.

This study has found that the epi-marks that would normally be dropped or "erased" may be the cause of homosexuality.

So what are these epi-marks anyway? The article states the following.....

Epi-marks constitute an extra layer of information attached to our genes' backbones that regulates their expression. While genes hold the instructions, epi-marks direct how those instructions are carried out -- when, where and how much a gene is expressed during development. Epi-marks are usually produced anew each generation, but recent evidence demonstrates that they sometimes carry over between generations and thus can contribute to similarity among relatives, resembling the effect of shared genes.

The article concludes that this study solves the "evolutionary riddle of homosexuality".

The study solves the evolutionary riddle of homosexuality, finding that "sexually antagonistic" epi-marks, which normally protect parents from natural variation in sex hormone levels during fetal development, sometimes carryover across generations and cause homosexuality in opposite-sex offspring. The mathematical modeling demonstrates that genes coding for these epi-marks can easily spread in the population because they always increase the fitness of the parent but only rarely escape erasure and reduce fitness in offspring.
www.sciencedaily.com...

My questions for ATS.....
*With all these studies being done on the causes of homosexuality do you believe that a "cure" can be found?

*If such a "cure" was discovered would many homosexuals be interested it it?

*Should we be looking at all?
Quad

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Homosexuals are mutants?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
So now we find it's the parents fault.
Great.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

It was always the parents fault. Gay people wouldn't exist if straight people hadn't had sex!

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Does this mean that a preventative vaccine or something could be produced to give to pregnant women? Not too sure on the ethics of this, but I guess if its happening in error, then it would be no different to preventing other genetic abnormalities in birth?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

It states that these things are skipping several generations....

If it was genetic and was skipping generations with the same genes.... im interested to see their evidence beyond what 2 people think is "most plausable".

If they know whats causing this then their should be a genetic test. That should be pretty defninitive.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Now this doesn't surprise me at all.

All those little appendages wreaking all sorts of havoc, now could be repsonsible for homosexuality.

We are only just beginning to understand the widespread effect of epigenes, but one thing to note, the expression of a gene can be influenced by environmental factors as well.

So my question would be, can it not be present, and swtich on/off.

I know of many people who began straight, but later on became attracted to the same sex.

Plus, what does this mean for bi-sexuals ?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
reply to post by Quadrivium

It states that these things are skipping several generations....

If it was genetic and was skipping generations with the same genes.... im interested to see their evidence beyond what 2 people think is "most plausable".

If they know whats causing this then their should be a genetic test. That should be pretty defninitive.
edit on 12-12-2012 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

I agree. I will try and find the actual study to see what test they may have done. As far as I have looked thus far is the Science Daily article.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

This is true.
But now we can look at the crazies and tell them... being gay is really not a choice.
You're born that way.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
Now this doesn't surprise me at all.

All those little appendages wreaking all sorts of havoc, now could be repsonsible for homosexuality.

We are only just beginning to understand the widespread effect of epigenes, but one thing to note, the expression of a gene can be influenced by environmental factors as well.

So my question would be, can it not be present, and swtich on/off.

I know of many people who began straight, but later on became attracted to the same sex.

Plus, what does this mean for bi-sexuals ?

Interesting take on the article.

As I said I am looking for the original study. If I find anything I will post it.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
reply to post by AfterInfinity

This is true.
But now we can look at the crazies and tell them... being gay is really not a choice.
You're born that way.

Oh don't worry, those with a bone to pick will just claim homosexuals as being genetically inferior or something like that..

This study is very interesting, I can't wait to read the full thing to get a better understanding of it

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Epigenetics and nutrigenomics are related. The reason that people may be gay in the first place is because of changes in diet both of the mother during conception and the child after birth. We have altered the diet of society too much too quick. This is also the reason for the increasing cancers and many other diseases. Going back to basics is impossible. We have already done much damage to our society. We are at the mercy of the medical and Pharma companies now. People being gay is the least of my concern.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
if it is so, so what? gay people are gay who cares why?

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

I found this..

"The genes for homosexuality have not been identified yet despite a very significant effort," said Sergey Gavrilets, a professor in UT's National Institute for Mathematical and Biological Synthesis.

"When you put it together in one very coherent framework, (the theory) is very logical and is supported by mathematical modeling. It is an explanation that seems to be working much better than any existing explanations."

The model Gavrilets and his collaborators developed still needs to be tested with experiments looking for these triggers in DNA, he said.
www.knoxnews.com...

Figured it may help with the questions you had.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
You can't cure homosexuality because it isn't a disease. I don't know if this study will pan out or not, nor do I really care as a gay man.
I know I didn't decide to be gay, I know I was either born this way or became as such long before I can remember. What actually caused it is of no concern to me, honestly. You cannot fix that which isn't broken.

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
You can't cure homosexuality because it isn't a disease. I don't know if this study will pan out or not, nor do I really care as a gay man.
I know I didn't decide to be gay, I know I was either born this way or became as such long before I can remember. What actually caused it is of no concern to me, honestly. You cannot fix that which isn't broken.

I think you may have come closer to answering the question in the op than anyone yet. Thank you for sharing.
Quad

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
My pleasure, of course I don't speak for all homosexuals. I'm sure there are some gay people that would jump at the chance to live a "normal" life.

However I don't see how being gay, even if its genetic, would make one inferior. I'd be interested in hearing someone argue the case

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
A thought-provoking thread.

I'd just wonder what kind of straight man I might become?
Is there a guarantee one could stay altruistic (although not all homosexuals are altruistic, their roles in many traditional societies tended towards the selfless and altruistic, which was a core argument of EO Wilson on the topic)?

Would I still find some joy in homoerotic sports or social activities, or would I become highly territorial and "phobic" regarding other males?

Do I have a guarantee I'd become a "good" heterosexual male, rather than a wife-beater or rapist?

Would such a cure also counter situational homosexuality amongst nominally straight males, in prison for example (just in case it doesn't turn out so "good")?

Will it follow that just because I'm suddenly sexually interested in women that they will be interested in me?
It could be a huge disappointment.
What happens if they're not?
Can I go back?
Or perhaps I should then finally join a culture or religion where a wife can be bought or arranged, but is that moral?

Finally, I wonder if the "cure" works in reverse?
That is, would some heterosexuals like to be "cured" of being straight because they find it unsatisfactory and depressing for whatever reason?
edit on 12-12-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I don't know if your post was supposed to be funny or not, but it made me lmao
I do enjoy football, never thought it was because I'm gay

posted on Dec, 12 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Epigenetics and nutrigenomics are related. The reason that people may be gay in the first place is because of changes in diet both of the mother during conception and the child after birth. We have altered the diet of society too much too quick.

So you're suggesting that this is "new", i.e. homosexuality is a modern "defect"?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join